Looking for a cheap DD/commuter car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m back to work and with the hotel opening back up in 2 months and salty roads ahead, I need to start shopping for a DD I don’t mind driving in the winter. It needs to get decent mpg ,20-ish plus ideally, under 6 ft tall so it will fit in the garage at work and not be super low since that won’t work in our garage either. Currently I can use the valet spot out front Until we reopen and I don’t want to go back to spending roughly $250/month on parking once we do.

Im flexible On make and model but don’t want to spend more than a couple grand. Doesn’t have to be mint condition of course but shouldn’t look like a total $hitbox! Reliable transportation!

With that budget...
Screenshot_20200731-125257_Chrome.jpg

Was it you whose parents had an avalon that needs to be sold? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

I did, but we ended up selling it a while back.

Buy a stick shift Accord with a K engine. I sold mine at 404,000 miles. Was my daily commuter until last year. It is still running down the road as well.

Last edited:
Wow ! Lots of replies. Yeah I’m figuring it’ll probably be a civic, older Lexus, subaru, etc. mostly just seeing if anyone in the club was thinking about selling something It’s way cheaper to just own another car due to my parking situation at work.

@1MOA whats up with that corolla? Might fit the bill!

@OTRAMM sounds a little project-y!!!! The Cruiser and the Mas are a little high maintenance already!

Everyone loves their Subarus and I thought we’d love the mint 2007 outback we got with 30k....it was the worst. Never again.

Used it on weekends and road trips only. In the 50k miles we owned it:
-6 wheel bearings
-valve cover gaskets
-new front drive shaft
-$2k on suspension/bushings/joints/links
-rear half of exhaust was turning to dust (drove it in the salt and snow probably 5 times and always washed it afterwards)
-blew the power steering rack and almost fried the pump
-felt like the trans was going to go
-had unsolvable heat shield rattles
-2 sets of tires

cosmetically it still looked great though.
It was a non-turbo so it wasn’t even fun 😂😭. We even did a PPI.

get a Honda or Toyota and some snow tires if you need em. Or listen to the car wizard:

Last edited:
Everyone loves their Subarus and I thought we’d love the mint 2007 outback we got with 30k....it was the worst. Never again.

-6 wheel bearings
-valve cover gaskets
-new front drive shaft
-rear half of exhaust was turning to dust (drove it in the salt and snow probably 5 times and always washed it afterwards)
-2 sets of tires

get a Honda or Toyota and some snow tires if you need em. Or listen to the car wizard:

Yeah I feel like Subaru’s and VWs fall into the same category if being 50/50 super reliable vs money pit. Totally different outcomes between owners.

I was on autotrader yesterday for giggles. There's an LS400 for a couple grand and LS430 available for a few

Honda Fit.

-6 wheel bearings
-valve cover gaskets
-new front drive shaft
-2 sets of tires

Neighbor has a Subaru Forester. Base gasket blew at 50K. The exhaust system is bone stock and rattles terribly as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom