Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a new adjustable steering damper in town!! These have just hit the warehouse, and are now live on the site.

• 56mm Extruded and CNC machined 6061-T6 hard anodized aluminum body
  • Hard-anodized and clear coated for a durable finish.
  • External reservoir design separates oil and high-pressure nitrogen gas
  • Black-anodized, CNC machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum Components
  • 5/8” hard chrome plated heat treated alloy steel Shaft
  • 50mm high-flow 6061-T6 CNC machined Piston
  • Natural rubber OEM style bushings
  • Direct replacement for stock and after-market lifts kits
  • 12 stage adjustment range

ss59-a824 adjustable steering damper a.jpg

ss59-a824 adjustable steering damper b.jpg

There's a new adjustable steering damper in town!! These have just hit the warehouse, and are now live on the site.

• 56mm Extruded and CNC machined 6061-T6 hard anodized aluminum body
  • Hard-anodized and clear coated for a durable finish.
  • External reservoir design separates oil and high-pressure nitrogen gas
  • Black-anodized, CNC machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum Components
  • 5/8” hard chrome plated heat treated alloy steel Shaft
  • 50mm high-flow 6061-T6 CNC machined Piston
  • Natural rubber OEM style bushings
  • Direct replacement for stock and after-market lifts kits
  • 12 stage adjustment range

View attachment 2375053

View attachment 2375054

I think you just made @GW Nugget week!

A $400 steering damper. Man, how can I not throw more money into a hole?

Redacted

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm looking to de-mod return my 93 fzj80 to stock because its more of an overlanding rig and climbing up rocks. I'm moving from 315s to 285s and currently sitting on 2" dual rate dobinsons lift. I'm fairly confident I can reuse the shocks but looking to do a stock height spring (Like OME ect) and remove my 2.5" land tank caster brackets. I have a rear tire carrier, stock front bumper and putting the winch inside the front stock bumper (Stuff to be added will be a front bull bar, sliders, & drawers). The roof rack is coming off. Do you have any suggestions or anything to be weary of? I want the ride to be level as this was stink bugging pretty bad the entire time I had it. I'm open to suggestions on stock height springs The exact model shocks and springs on the FZJ80 are:
  • C97-146VT: 2.5" Variable Rate Front Coil Spring Pair (Link)
  • C97-147VT: 2.5" Variable Rate Rear Coil Spring Pair (Link)
  • GS59-683: Shock Absorber Front 0-3" Lift (Link)
  • GS59-682: Shock Absorber Rear 0-3" Lift (Link)
  • SD59-824: Steering Damper (Link)
  • Landtank 2.5" Caster Correction Brackets (Link)
Current suspension, weight, & tire setup:

Edit: My contribution to this thread is if your truck is outfitted like mine this is how the lift will look.

You should probably start a new thread in the 80's section since this is a spec only thread.

With that said, have you considered a spacer for the rear to eliminate the stinkbug issue?

Please don't answer here. Let's keep it clean.

Finally installed Dobinson 4" Flexi Coils on my 80 this past weekend. Removed old OME J springs, but still running OME L shocks F&R.

Setup: 36" Iroks, ARB front bumper, 9k winch, TrailGear sliders, 4x4 labs rear bumper (no swingouts), no roof rack or 3rd row seats, spare tire laying flat inside.

Hub to bottom of fender flare: 24.75" at all 4 corners

Will post pictures soon.

Last edited:
Two years into my ownership and I'm finally ready to get a new suspension onto this sagging cruiser. Is this thread for getting suggestions as well or should I start another to get recommendations?

Can we add settings we run for adjust(able) shocks to this Thread?

Dobinson MRA 6" Adjust Shocks

Front HSC 6 LSC 8 REBOUND 8
Rear HSC 6 LSC 10 REBOUND 8

Theres already a thread for the MRR Dobinsons adjustment actually. Dobinson MRR (A) Move this to that thread and as more people get these shocks on their 80s it will be a good thread for that.

I have spent far too much time reading and thinking about springs so I have decided to share my pedantry.
Please see attatched what I believe to be a stock setup on an 80 series with regards measurments, enjoy.
LC80 Suspension spec.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my plan for a budget ~2" lift for my HDJ81 for around £760.

I have chosen parts that I can easily source in the UK i.e. OME and Bilstein otherwise I would have gone with TJM springs and Fox 2.0 IFP shocks.
I belieive the Bilstein 5100 use digressive valving allthough I think would have rathered linear rate and are a monotube shock design much like the Fox 2.0 IFP.

Allthough the Bilstein shocks are longer when extended, it appears that they offer no increase in travel over standard shocks but perhaps this is due to the monotube design?
Luckilly there is a slight increase in suspension travel (~1") on the front and compression/rebound is nearer 50% either way when normally loaded and I am getting near a 2" lift.

LC80 Suspension 2lift.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All

I am just going through the process of setting up a 4" lift on my 80 and I got a lot of details about the Dobinson springs I was interested in that I thought others might find useful. I converted all spring rates from N/mm to lbs/inch.

Dobinson Springs (Front)Free spring height (mm)Spring rate (lbs)Part Number
4” lift Flexi565mm RH & 567mm LH182 - 275 lbsC59-614V
5” lift - Liner, no extra load615mm RH & 625mm LH235 lbsC59-444
3” lift Tapered605mm RH & 615mm LH314 - 342 lbsC97-144VT

Dobinson Springs (Rear)Free spring height (mm)Spring rate (lbs)Part Number
4” lift Flexi570mm RH & 580mm LH148 - 275 lbsC59-615V
4” lift HHD545mm RH & 555mm LH318 lbsC59-313
4” lift HD520mm RH 530mm LH274 lbsC59-309
3” lift Tapered535mm RH 545mm LH285 - 342 lbsC95-145VT

I am a bit confused, @GW Nugget post on the first page has different spring rates for both 3" tapered springs compared to this post.
C95-144VT: 140/200/290
C95-145VT: 180/270/340

Can anyone confirm which of these is accurate?

I am a bit confused, @GW Nugget post on the first page has different spring rates for both 3" tapered springs compared to this post.
C95-144VT: 140/200/290
C95-145VT: 180/270/340

Can anyone confirm which of these is accurate?
The chart he has in this thread is from Dobinsons directly. The numbers you wrote here are the correct rates.

Yes I received the specs directly from David O.
Dobinson rates are variable not dual or even triple rates.
I measured the 146VT & the wire size changed from
18.25 down to 11.75mm.
20200327_044636.jpg

Last edited:
So the wire taper starts from the top coil all the way down?
I had assumed the taper only started nearer the lower half of the coil.

it would be interesting if Dobinsons provided a spring rate graph so we can see just how progressive the springs are.

Yes I received the specs directly from David O.
Dobinson rates are variable not dual or even triple rates.
I measured the 146VT & as each turn went down the wire size changed from
18.25 down to 14.25mm.
Here is a vid.

The whole coil is not variable.
Its.... well hard to explain with words.
attachments.jpg

I read through the entire thread and still have some uncertainty. My initial lift kit was a light duty 2'' ironman pro lift kit with a 1'' spacer up front for a level lift. since adding front and rear bumpers and armor; my current spring setup is a 2'' ironman heavy duty spring with a 1'' spacer up front. In the rear its 2863 old man emu HD coils with a 1'' spacer to handle the weight of the spare on the driver side. I had these laying around from a past build. I added them once I got my rear 4x4 labs rear bumper with duel swing outs,( 150 lbs?) a 37'' KM3 spare (115 lbs?) and a high lift jack ( 30 lbs. ) on it. Now I have built a drawer system that I am guessing weighs around 220 lbs (including gear) and also am adding a fridge with a slide out soon. I lost about an inch of lift in the rear. I also was experiencing a bit of bottoming out in the rear this past weekend while wheeling( 3 adults in the rig and gear). I do have timbren extended bump stops to accommodate my 37's so it wasnt horrible, but I would like to avoid it. I like being only in a 2.5'' ish of lift, but at this point I don't fit in the garage anymore since adding my roof rack. should I swap out front and rear coils for 4''HD? I have all other suspension parts already swapped out to accommodate them. or do I just get 2864s or 2863j's in the rear? I had 2864's on a past heavily built 100 series and remember really liking the stability. I am leaning towards the 864's but I am open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom