Mojave Road trip October (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first "Overland" trip in my LX470. Friend of mine has been bugging me to do their annual Mojave Road run for a couple of years now and I've always wanted to take my FJ60 but the 9hr+ trip, 60 MPH @ 3300 RPM with no working A/C just to get there seemed like torture. Now that I have a more comfortable ride it seems like a fun trip. I've been all over California's Mountains and Deserts but never on this one. New timing belt, entire cooling system replaced, tires, oil, plugs, and the 4x4 system and AHC is working in all ranges, looks like we are ready for launch. I know this is not a difficult road but I will have battle buddy's and it'll be a good shake down cruise for the LX to see if anything goes sideways. My only concern is the water crossing. I really don't want to soak my carpet. Anyway I hope to get some good pictures.

Include some technical content, quick!

from what I've heard it is very much a shakedown

emphasis on shake

100+ miles on whashboard roads to really test out how well torqued down all your bolts are

Report back and let us know how it does!

I go there often. last time I was there the water crossing was over 3 feet. The water is stagnant and stinky. I don't think it's worth it anymore. My buddy replaced his whole carpet kit in his Tacoma after a recent trip as it was just too disgusting to save. We have both had to replace lower idler bearings and I ended up having a caliper piston seize on me not long after.
How would you really know if you didn't get water in your diffs if you have to drive 9 hours back home?
If you are heading east to west, you can exit at basin rd which is where we now start. afton canyon campground is nice though, so if you want to experience it, I would just come in off the 15 at Afton Rd exit.

This is a pic from 2018. I had to tow my friends Jeep back through the water crossing because his radiator blew shortly after crossing. Radiator fans don't like hitting water. I have 35 inch tires and they are completely submerged.
jeeptow.jpg

Video

Last edited:
Include some technical content, quick!
Ok I have one issue. My VSC TRAC and VSC OFF light comes on when center diff lock is on after a couple of minutes. It only resets after shutting the engine off and restart.

Good advice. My interior is in like showroom shape and like to keep looking as good as I can.

Planning to air down. Pluss the group I'm traveling with say they take it pretty easy.
from what I've heard it is very much a shakedown

emphasis on shake

100+ miles on whashboard roads to really test out how well torqued down all your bolts are

Report back and let us know how it does!
Plan on airing down. Pluss the group that I will be traveling with take it pretty easy.

I've had no issues in 3+ feet of water in the LX. I didn't park in the middle for a full test, but not one drop made it past the seals.

But I suppose that's not really definitive, depends on the condition of your door seals.

Ok I have one issue. My VSC TRAC and VSC OFF light comes on when center diff lock is on after a couple of minutes. It only resets after shutting the engine off and restart.

Those lights coming on while the CDL is engaged is normal. What’s not normal is it not going off after turning the CDL off. See the thread below. Probably just a simple switch replacement will cure this.

We did it in October last year. It's beautiful. You can find some really cool camp spots on some offshoots off the road.

I did the water crossing. Just kept moving. No water in the cabin at all. The Jeep guys I was with chickened out and went around. To be honest, going out the other way doesn't miss much.

River Crossing

I would imagine it’s still decently warm in October. Nov onwards might be a better option if you can delay the trip.
Thats what I thought. But WTh. If it sucks, I will know better next time. They make this trip yearly so its the only time I will have company.

Man I been wanting to do this so badly for the last 2 years, I just got no friends into offroad

Man I been wanting to do this so badly for the last 2 years, I just got no friends into offroad

Just go! It’s really not technical at all. Cell service was pretty available for most of trip as I recall. It’s worth the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom