Rear Differential Ask - Oil Level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of finishing a prolonged baselining process with an '06 LX470 and did a rear differential oil change. I obeyed spec and filled fluid until the rear differential was full on a level surface, and it unsurprisingly took about 3.5L just as the manual said it would. However, when I drained the old fluid (prior to the fill of course) I only had 2.5L come out. I drove the vehicle before to warm it up to ensure minimal remainder/residual sludge.
  • Old fluid was filthy and stank horribly; if it was the first time it had ever been changed I wouldn't be surprised.
  • 2.5L came out, 3.5L went in
  • No leaks in the rear diff.; this is something I'm certain of and have checked repeatedly over the few months that I've owned the vehicle
Can this fluid reduce over time from heat, or am I in a position where the previous owner/shop didn't do their job?

Vehicle runs like a dream still; what kind of after effects should I be worried about?

yes there can be a loss of fluid without noticing it over 200,000? miles

No not really, it probably just wasn’t full or they did it at an odd angle.

I wouldn’t spend much time worrying about it.

No not really, it probably just wasn’t full or they did it at an odd angle.

I wouldn’t spend much time worrying about it.

^^^^
Agreed.

About 2.5 seconds would be plenty. ;)

A little bit of gear lube will be lost over time past axle seals and pinion seals.

Or as stated above, never fully filled to begin with.

Was there any sign of sludge at all when it drained? Did you shine a light in the drain hole to have a peek?

Was there any sign of sludge at all when it drained? Did you shine a light in the drain hole to have a peek?

No sludge; the magnet for residual shavings had a decent bit to wipe off, that's it. Just hoping I dodged a bullet.

OK Neo :beer:

Old fluid was filthy and stank horribly
The stank is normal. I hate changing gear fluid for this reason. It smells, and takes a bit of scrubbing to get rid of the smell if you get some on your arms. I even think new gear fluid smells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom