Troopy pricing in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious what the average price for a late 80s early 90s diesel troopy in the US is these days? I am considering selling my current overland rig to fund the start of a troopy build. I was also curious what you guys though about importing? What would be the appeal to getting one imported would I be saving money or would I be getting a better product by importing. Or am I just better off keeping my eyes peeled for one already in the US.

I would appreciate any information I can get

If there is a thread started about this already I would love it if you could point me in that direction

THANKS IN ADVANCE🍻

There was a seriously rusty one, already in the USA, that just sold for under $7k. Partially disassembled. Not complete. Needed major rust repair to body and frame. Big, big project. Consider this the absolute low end. I never saw one for less.

As @TonyP said, there is (or was) a very nicely restored and tastefully modified Maltec Troopy camper for sale for around $110k. Full camper, coil sprung, brand new turbo motor, pop-top camper. Real deluxe. Plug 'n' play, drive today. Consider that the high end. Never saw anyone try to get more.

Realistically, most of them are going to be in the $20-40k range. More for LHD, less for RHD. More for 1HZ, less for 2H or 3B. Condition is everything. Rust will kill these trucks if allowed to do so. High mileage can beat them up, too.

The advantage to importing one yourself is that you're likely to have more from which to choose. There are probably a hundred for sale worldwide right now or any time you care to look. Maybe one or two in the USA if you're lucky. Of course, you won't get to inspect the car in person if you import, unless you have a lot of frequent flyer miles you want to burn (not a bad idea, in my opinion). I've imported I think 7 trucks so far. Some a little worse condition than expected, some a little better. If you ask the right questions, and get enough photos, you should be fine.

Re: the expense of importing, if you budget for maybe $3k-5k over the seller's asking price, you won't be far wrong. That's all inclusive--seller's driveway to yours. Consider the climate and the culture of the country of origin. Some climates tend to make for rusty cars, some cultures tend to make for lots of wear and creative repairs. I've heard it said that you don't want to buy a car from a place where labor is cheaper than parts. Makes sense.

There was a seriously rusty one, already in the USA, that just sold for under $7k. Partially disassembled. Not complete. Needed major rust repair to body and frame. Big, big project. Consider this the absolute low end. I never saw one for less.

As @TonyP said, there is (or was) a very nicely restored and tastefully modified Maltec Troopy camper for sale for around $110k. Full camper, coil sprung, brand new turbo motor, pop-top camper. Real deluxe. Plug 'n' play, drive today. Consider that the high end. Never saw anyone try to get more.

Realistically, most of them are going to be in the $20-40k range. More for LHD, less for RHD. More for 1HZ, less for 2H or 3B. Condition is everything. Rust will kill these trucks if allowed to do so. High mileage can beat them up, too.

The advantage to importing one yourself is that you're likely to have more from which to choose. There are probably a hundred for sale worldwide right now or any time you care to look. Maybe one or two in the USA if you're lucky. Of course, you won't get to inspect the car in person if you import, unless you have a lot of frequent flyer miles you want to burn (not a bad idea, in my opinion). I've imported I think 7 trucks so far. Some a little worse condition than expected, some a little better. If you ask the right questions, and get enough photos, you should be fine.

Re: the expense of importing, if you budget for maybe $3k-5k over the seller's asking price, you won't be far wrong. That's all inclusive--seller's driveway to yours. Consider the climate and the culture of the country of origin. Some climates tend to make for rusty cars, some cultures tend to make for lots of wear and creative repairs. I've heard it said that you don't want to buy a car from a place where labor is cheaper than parts. Makes sense.
Thanks for all the great information. Very helpful

Hey good meeting you the other day.

Steve is the guy I gave you contact info on....gilmorneau. Seems to come up with them.

Let me know how I can help. Also failed to mention that you're welcome to drive mine so you can have a feel as to what they're about. Let me know if you want to do that.

I think you're looking at mid-20's to get something worth putting even more money into.

I am curious what the average price for a late 80s early 90s diesel troopy in the US is these days? I am considering selling my current overland rig to fund the start of a troopy build. I was also curious what you guys though about importing? What would be the appeal to getting one imported would I be saving money or would I be getting a better product by importing. Or am I just better off keeping my eyes peeled for one already in the US.

I would appreciate any information I can get

If there is a thread started about this already I would love it if you could point me in that direction

THANKS IN ADVANCE🍻

What is your current overland rig?

What are you wanting to do with overlanding?
Pop top? Roof top tent? 10~20 day excursions? US only? Passengers?

Hey good meeting you the other day.

Steve is the guy I gave you contact info on....gilmorneau. Seems to come up with them.

Let me know how I can help. Also failed to mention that you're welcome to drive mine so you can have a feel as to what they're about. Let me know if you want to do that.

I think you're looking at mid-20's to get something worth putting even more money into.
Nice meeting you as well! Seeing your rig definitely inspired me to get the ball rolling on getting a troopy of my own

Like I was saying before it will probably take a little time to sell my current rig and get started at looking for a troopy but I you got to start somewhere.

When the time gets closer I would love to go for a ride in your rig and see what it is like. that would be awesome. Thanks again

What is your current overland rig?

What are you wanting to do with overlanding?
Pop top? Roof top tent? 10~20 day excursions? US only? Passengers?
Currently I have a 06 Tacoma with a flippac camper.

Most of my overlanding trips are 7 day trips but I can take as much as a month of vacation at a time.
For now I would be traveling in the US but I see myself traveling outside the US in the future. It would just be me and the girlfriend

As far as the troopy goes i would look for something close to stalk and do a alu-cab Hercules pop up and build out the inside
000077660001.jpg
IMG_20190105_125735757_HDR.jpg

Most of my overlanding trips are 7 day trips but I can take as much as a month of vacation at a time.
For now I would be traveling in the US but I see myself traveling outside the US in the future. It would just be me and the girlfriend

As far as the troopy goes i would look for something close to stalk and do a alu-cab Hercules pop up and build out the insideView attachment 2378251View attachment 2378253

Nice Taco, I definitely wouldnt go less than a 1HZ troopy from the getgo unless you are OK with an engine swap. A fully loaded down expo troopy would be slow goings in a 2H or 3B or gasser.
As others have stated, RHD vs LHD is a price difference and just overall shape of the rig, but I'd be surprised to find one for less than 80-20K in the US.

HZJ77 might not be a bad starting point either rather than a troopy. They seem to be cheaper and easier to find, obviously it's a 4 door vs troopy but they can be poptop too. I believe HZJ77 only came in RHD.
This one just sold but was on here for awhile.
For Sale - PRICE DROP 1992 HZJ77 PopTop Camper built Los Angeles
lXnA0r9.jpg

432d7173-1526-41c5-864f-88ed126e1eb9-jpeg.1990214

Nice Taco, I definitely wouldnt go less than a 1HZ troopy from the getgo unless you are OK with an engine swap. A fully loaded down expo troopy would be slow goings in a 2H or 3B or gasser.
As others have stated, RHD vs LHD is a price difference and just overall shape of the rig, but I'd be surprised to find one for less than 80-20K in the US.

HZJ77 might not be a bad starting point either rather than a troopy. They seem to be cheaper and easier to find, obviously it's a 4 door vs troopy but they can be poptop too. I believe HZJ77 only came in RHD.
lXnA0r9.jpg

As far as the troopy goes i would look for something close to stalk and do a alu-cab Hercules pop up and build out the insideView attachment 2378251View attachment 2378253
Thanks! I plan on rocking the 3b/2h or what ever it comes with when I get it and doing a 1hdt

lXnA0r9.jpg

Thanks! I will probably rock the 3b/2h or whatever motor it comes with for a little bit as I collect parts to swap in a 1hdt or a 1hd fte with a h55. A 77 would be cool as well if I found one for a good deal I might go for it but I have always had a soft spot for the troopy

If you can get a month away from work then a Baja trip should be in your future.

If you can get a month away from work then a Baja trip should be in your future.
I was very close to Baja on a trip last year but definitely a place I would love to have more time exploring

As a point of reference I defied a lot of the input given here. I bought my Troopy from a place where labor is much cheaper than parts. 🤣 Also, I only paid $6000 for mine.

But the additional $15,000-ish that I’ve put into it basically levels things out with what you’ve read in this thread. I’m fortunate in that my shipping was included in relocation to the States. But @gilmorneau is spot on with estimating $3-5K door to door.

I wanted a diesel too. But petrol/gas is far more common in the Middle East where I found mine. It seems like all the diesel guys here either in up with fidgety turbo installs or 1HD swap$$$. I’m loving my 3F to be honest and I imagine a 1FZ would be amazing. In the end I’m really glad I ended up with a petrol motor. Plenty of power and I’m not beset with diesel costs to be happy with speed/power.

As a point of reference I defied a lot of the input given here. I bought my Troopy from a place where labor is much cheaper than parts. 🤣 Also, I only paid $6000 for mine.

But the additional $15,000-ish that I’ve put into it basically levels things out with what you’ve read in this thread. I’m fortunate in that my shipping was included in relocation to the States. But @gilmorneau is spot on with estimating $3-5K door to door.

I wanted a diesel too. But petrol/gas is far more common in the Middle East where I found mine. It seems like all the diesel guys here either in up with fidgety turbo installs or 1HD swap$$$. I’m loving my 3F to be honest and I imagine a 1FZ would be amazing. In the end I’m really glad I ended up with a petrol motor. Plenty of power and I’m not beset with diesel costs to be happy with speed/power.
Seems from what I’ve read that getting trucks in the Middle East is a bit more complicated and has
some fairly interesting rules. I agree with the petrol engine idea. Right now in BC it’s a 30% higher cost of
petrol over diesel, almost worth the cost of diesel refit

People add turbos to most diesel trucks out of desire, not need. My hzj75 troopy is faster heading up to the Eisenhower tunnel (here in Colorado) than my fj62. I have thought a turbo would be fun, but it sure isn’t needed.

One other note to importing is that you do have some risk of unexpected costs in the risk of customs hold. Customs will almost certainly put a customshold on the truck to inspect it. It usually only adds a few hundred bucks, and you would stay in Gil’s stated costs. But if they drag their feet, it can run up into the thousands of dollars real quickly. You’re basically rolling the dice, as you can’t control that.

Last edited:
I’m loving my 3F to be honest and I imagine a 1FZ would be amazing. In the end I’m really glad I ended up with a petrol motor. Plenty of power and I’m not beset with diesel costs to be happy with speed/power.

Now that we have the 1FZ all dialed in and driving really well, it's an absolute gem of a motor with a manual trans. I think it might be one of my "quicker' trucks....it's smooth and easy to drive. Really like the feel of the truck with it. Kind of been my go-to as of late. The only downside....the fuel economy sucks. Ha. It can't get over 10mpgs. I'm afraid to even calculate it.

Ha. It can't get over 10mpgs
Dang you must have a lead foot or do a lot of stop and go... My 1FZ troopy still gets 14-15 city, 15-17.5 highway between 70-85mph. I will eventually be getting one of those LRA sub tanks to make up for the fuel economy. To tie into the original post and to chime in with @c2dfj45 and @Honger, I'm glad I ended up with a 1FZ troopy myself and able to easily keep up with US highway speeds. Low end torque is fantastic too.

Now that we have the 1FZ all dialed in and driving really well, it's an absolute gem of a motor with a manual trans. I think it might be one of my "quicker' trucks....it's smooth and easy to drive. Really like the feel of the truck with it. Kind of been my go-to as of late. The only downside....the fuel economy sucks. Ha. It can't get over 10mpgs. I'm afraid to even calculate it.

Hello,

x2.

Fuel economy aside, the 1FZ is a fun engine to drive. It accelerates smoothly and it makes decent power.

If one goes easy with the gas pedal, the mileage improves... a very little bit. It does, however, respond very well to throttle input.

In the end, though, it is not the miles per gallon but the smiles per mile.

Juan

Dang you must have a lead foot or do a lot of stop and go... My 1FZ troopy still gets 14-15 city, 15-17.5 highway between 70-85mph. I will eventually be getting one of those LRA sub tanks to make up for the fuel economy. To tie into the original post and to chime in with @c2dfj45 and @Honger, I'm glad I ended up with a 1FZ troopy myself and able to easily keep up with US highway speeds. Low end torque is fantastic too.

Are you saying you get 15-17.5 in a carbed 1FZ troopy going 75-85mph???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom