Stuck Transfer Case Shifter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other January morning, after a cold snap, my FJ60 slipped out of gear while driving slowly in 2wheel drive. I tried to move the 4 wheel drive shifter a bit with little success. With much shoving I could get it back in gear for just a few seconds but then it slipped out, although the shifter did not seem to move much despite shoving it very hard. I continued to think the shifter was the problem but could not force it to move. Finally, with the parking brake on, I went around to the front passenger door, opened it, lifted my boot up on the shifter and gave it a strong forceful shove toward driver's side and it slipped a bit into place. There has been no gear slippage since. This has happened before in past years. Any suggestions to avoid this? Is it a lubrication problem? What do I lube? How do I get there? The transfer case shifter has always been really rough to move. It seems like it should be easier. Thanks.

When you move the 4wd shifter (inside the cabin of your vehicle) from 2wd into 4wd (and vice versa), you move the arm on the transfer case that is circled "2wd-4wd" in and out. (See Picture 1 in Post #9 on the link I provided above).

When you move the 4wd shifter (inside the cabin of your vehicle) from H4 to L4 (and vice versa), you rotate the H-N-L arm (see picture 1 in Post #9 and the "High and Low Outer Lever" in picture 2 in Post #9).

If this "High and Low Outer Lever" drops down slightly into the transfer case, then when you shift the 4wd shifter inside the cabin, it doesn't shift inside the transfer case properly.

The solution is to lift the "High and Low Outer Lever" up, so that it engages correctly with the "High and Low Shift Fork Shaft" that is inside the transfer case. A more permanent solution is to put c-clips or a hair pin between the "High and Low Outer Lever and the top of the transfercase it falls onto to keep it at the correct height so that it remains 'engaged' inside the transfer case.

Clear as mud?

Thanks Slow Left for your suggestion. Between weather the job and othe rdistractions, I was not able to get back to you. On eof these weekends I am going to crawl under and try your "ibnsert c-clips_ suggestion. Th eole beast has alot of trouble with the cold at 207,000 miles. So I am taking it slow in th ecold for now. I'll try and keep you posted.

I was able to find a 5/8" e-clip (ended up stacking 3 on there to get enough lift to hold the HLOL high enough up) at a local hardware store. My transfer case is a pre-1985 model (it is a 12/1981 truck), but I would assume that the thickness of the HLOL shaft remained the same across years, so a 5/8" e-clip would be a good guess for your t-case, too. See image below.

When you crawl under to check (passenger's side, at the front of the transfer case) if you can't access the HLOL from the front, you might have to drop the transfer skid plate in order to get a good angle on it. Check it and see if it moves straight up and up/down (might have to wiggle the linkage around a little). If it does, and it was dropped down in the transfer case, see if lifting it up helps you shift from 4h to 4low and back. If it does, then you might want to snap a couple of these e-clips on around the shaft while it is lifted up. I had to use a screw driver to press them on once the e-clip was aligned correctly.

e-clip.jpg

85 stock FJ60- Same issue but stuck in high range. The Hlol shaft was able to be moved up about 1/8 or tad more. Hi-N-L Shifter is stuck but is trying to engage and can hear gears starting to engage with a little pressure. BUT found a possible problem. The tension spring and ball to click into the three index spots High, N and low is (both spring & ball) missing. I'm not 100% sure I've ever had a solid "CLICK" into low before. But could the ball wear out, drop and spring and ball be wedged or causing this? Thinking the H-n-low linkage still may not be indexed correctly. But not seeing a spring or ball caused me to pause, see pic yellow box. (wire in photo is an attempt/test to space shaft up) Photo of trans apart is for reference, not mine

transfer shift fork.jpg

hi-low spring nut.jpg

hi-low spring nut2.jpg

hi-low.jpg

trans2.jpg

Back in the day when Ii had my 84, I had the same exact problem Used to crawl under the truck to shift from 4lo to 4hi. Always thought a spacer of sorts would solve the issue without having to dismantle the t-case

I've unhooked the linkage, and spaced shaft up slightly. Can grab linkage/shaft by hand and its tight. It still won't go into neutral or low. Stuck in hi range. Thinking I'm going to have to split the tcase open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom