What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks fun. Got any more pics of that gray fj40?

Not many for how many trails we hit this week. Didn’t get out of the truck much. Everyone could drive Pretty well. Including this 79 year old couple out of Colorado. Old boy Was fun to wheel with!

ED2D05D2-A2F9-4D1F-BD6D-C6CDB8BF8779.jpeg

AE6D005D-A8F7-4000-85B8-D1E5FD150AF0.jpeg

4705B6B8-3BA5-49FC-82FB-8149C7C7EE77.jpeg

A0983BA1-D10E-43E7-A282-95A6E7CA5AAA.jpeg

9AB2B244-A047-4598-8BE0-1B33E5F1FADE.png

Just received more parts to replace either broken or soon to be broken parts under the hood. Including the 105 series shaft and pitman to begin my gear box rebuild with red head. It's exciting getting the parts but then it quickly dawns on you that you're gonna get your ass kicked installing this stuff, especially in this Texas heat. But hey! I won't have to replace these things for another ~20 years hopefully!

16A3153D-C376-4C8F-852B-13B5843D3974.jpeg

Last edited:
In prep for some desert camping and it was beyond time to get the old nasty carpet out.

IMG_1822.jpg

The factory butyl deadener was in good shape everywhere so Noico went over that and then the Trail Tailor full vinyl floor kit. Doing it again I would install a mass loaded vinyl like Luxury Liner Pro on top of the Noico, but I didn't have any on hand and wanted to get the project done. If it's super loud inside on the trip I may install some more deadener.

The vinyl floor is somewhat moulded to shape, in that there are a couple of bumps and countours that roughly correspond to the shape of the body and seat mounts in the 80. It's not cut out for any bolts though, and there are a couple of marked cutouts for the rear heat and shift/trans which appear to be for a stripped manual RHD truck, so it takes quite a bit of fettling to get everything draped, marked, punched, and cut out where you need it. Most notably the front foot well and tunnel area was a challenge to get to fit around the shifters, pop the console mounts thru in the right place, and still cover the foot wells smoothly.

IMG_1837.jpg

Still need some 8020 rail parts to make the drawer system fully modular again, but here's the open bay that fits a bicycle upright in the back. For camping we'll probably use this space for our cooler, accessible thru the rear slider window.

IMG_1838.jpg

I haven’t been on Mud for a few weeks and all my cruisers problems magically disappeared. I took it on a 3800 mile road trip from Colorado Springs to Jackson, Boezman, Cascade National Park, Seattle, Bend, Salt Lake, and back with my girlfriend. 14 mpg and didn’t burn a drop of oil. Not a lot of pictures of the cruiser on this trip but there are a few.
F0BE5882-1175-4257-967F-ADA203A117EF.jpeg

F8BFFB46-9D09-4A9E-9336-6D7E6F3FF832.jpeg

64D540EE-3E79-4BD0-97D5-5DC976C414F0.jpeg

Then in other news I put my Dobinson 12 inch shocks on forever ago and finally took them to stretch them out. No rear sway bar but the front was still attached. I think it flexes pretty decent. The ride quality was really good on the road trip too it is a little stiffer then my precious ranchos which I like and it still seems to not be very harsh in the dirt

FED06899-656B-4293-9B21-5CB7BB20E4E3.jpeg

4C2F0F27-A797-4908-8AA7-E3E5EEF92B8F.jpeg

Second firing of the LM7. Exhaust and shifter are the last two big things, oh and I need to figure out why my CDL isn’t engaging.

What a memorable trip. Great Sand Dunes National Park and San Juan Mountains in Colorado. We camped one night at the Great Sand Dunes, one night at a campground near pagosa springs, and Three nights at the alta Lakes, which was surreal. Then we ran into a bunch of Jeep guys from Texas on the way up the Ophir trail which was cool. We only ran into two problems on this trip. I honestly thought this trip would blow the truck up with how many steep inclines on the highways there were but it kept chugging along. We had some instances where the engine got hot so we would crank the heat on full blast but after doing that it settled back to normal temps. While on the trip and seeing the oil light come on and not seeing any oil on the ground I went to check the coolant to see if there was any oil in it. I didn't consider the amount of pressure there would be from going from 500 feet elevation to 11,500 feet and that coolant sprayed and gushed everywhere and got into the distributor. With a stroke of luck it started misfiring when we were in Durango. The relief of spending days in the middle of nowhere and this not happening there trumped being robbed by the dealership. I had a big ol goofy smile on my face the whole time while they were hosing me. The truck performed flawlessly for the next 4 days. After getting it home I noticed oil spray all over the drivers side underbody. I'm thinking it may be the PCV so I'm doing that job as we speak and hopefully that'll be the last of it. (I've got two leaks, one inside the distributor and the other is the rear main seal. None of which produce oil on the ground) Go explore people, especially in these uncertain and divisive times. It was so nice to detach from all of the crummy people/politicians and be in nature to re-calibrate myself on what's truly important.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to fixing this pesky rear locker, knew I snagged a cable wheeling a while ago but didn't realize that it was also the fault of a bad connection? anyways the wire just slid out of place in the plug.. Ran to the local scrap yard they had one Toyota in the whole yard a early 2000 echo, snagged some connections of that, and bolts and such cause why not I have my tools there ready to go! Ran back home quick swapped out the connector in the main locker actuator plug, soldered it in.. great locker works again! figured f*** it ill try and fix the indictor light while im at it, thought i could use another similar connector i had lying around.. wrong.. went back to the old one that was smashed up from wheeling.. swapped both connectors out of the plug soldered them in.. tadaaa fixed for the first time in years... happy to have that solid light again!

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

Also took the wifey for a night of camping and climbing.. very light wheeling to get into the spot... couldve driven it in a jeep
IMG_2154-1.jpg

IMG_0071.JPG

Rig has almost lost her virginity.... Hit a milestone this weekend:

50137183342_8d9fb5365d_b.jpg

Finally pulled this sticker off the windshield since it was falling off from age:

50137183337_00318bd4dd_b.jpg

Full vinyl what now? Since when has this been a thing? Been looking for a vinyl floor option for ages. Nothing on the website.
I think it's NLA from Jason, but might be worth reaching out to him and seeing if he can source one. Mine came in a box along with spares when I got the truck, so not sure how long ago it was purchased.

Wired in the jump start button to the redarc dual batt solenoid, cleaned up Spotlights and fog lights. Need a number plate bracket. Also need an elevated feed UHF antenna to mount onto the yodateq rear light bracket. Then a couple days away in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom