1990 4Runner (The Creampuff) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tire is under the bed of the truck. Did they have an optional bumper tire carrier?

I think there was a swing out from 90-91 but I do not have it.

Yes. The swing-out was an option in 1990-1991. It was body-mounted, much like old Pathfinders and the unit linked above is correct.

Our 1990 was the first car my dad ever bought new. I don’t believe it had the parts, installed, for under-bed mounting.

I say option...I’ve never seen a 1990-1991 without an OEM swing-out nor a 1992-1995 with one.

Yes. The swing-out was an option in 1990-1991. It was body-mounted, much like old Pathfinders and the unit linked above is correct.

Our 1990 was the first car my dad ever bought new. I don’t believe it had the parts, installed, for under-bed mounting.

I say option...I’ve never seen a 1990-1991 without an OEM swing-out nor a 1992-1995 with one.

Do you know if there is a weight limit with these?

I don’t. We only ever had the stock 31x10.50 on Toyota aluminum wheel with the factory (port
Installed?) vinyl wheel cover.

Toyota reinforces their qtr panels on all of the TLCs that have body mounted swing-outs, so I’m sure it can carry more than one might expect.

I have a 35” on the body mounted swing out on my 1977 FJ-40 and have never had issues.

Some people on the 2nd gen 4runner mafia FB group have retrofitted the OEM tire carrier to their trucks, so it can be done. I beleive they went in and beefed up the inside of the body where it bolts up. Also need to relocate reverse lights and license plate holder.

This one does not have the swingout and does have the spare under the bed.

My 1990 also does not have a swing out tire carrier. Wish it did though!

So, the rear window wiper. If it falls down is there an easily replaceable gear (easy fix) or do I need to track down a new motor?

As I was posting this for Father’s Day, I noticed the Toyota tire cover on the back of our 1990 4Runner.

When I bought the truck from my dad, I got rid of it...it was noisy/squeaky and the wheel underneath was a matching SR5 aluminum.

A0363783-D693-4252-A781-4258F312D575.jpeg

R134A conversion works great!

After replacing all of the hoses and the belts I am ready to hit the Smog joint tomorrow..

Question, does any one make or have plans for a low key, non winch, non tube bumper for the second gen runners?? I just want something stronger than stock but looks similar on there.

I'll go hunt around the site..

Thanks,
Mace

Passed smog with flying colors. DMV Tuesday :)

So, I ran into a problem where Turning the key would make the starter solenoids accuate but not start the truck. Replaced the starter, and now all is good!

Except, 2 days ago, it started taking a LONG time to start in the morning (of after sitting for a couple hrs). I have not found any leaks, so I suspect either the fuel pump's check valve is malfunctioning, or one of the injectors is bleeding off. The PO added a new fuel pump (no clue what brand) so I wouldn't expect it to be the FP. My guess is leaking injectors. any recommendations on new injectors? Ones to stay away from?

I had the same problem. After sitting over night fuel would leak out of the injectors and pond in the intake runners. When I lit the truck that fuel had to burn off before it would run correctly. I sent my injectors to RC Engineering for rebuilding. It was a night and day different, especially on cold starts. But, warm starts were a problem still.

A few weeks ago I was out camping and field testing some changes to the truck. One morning the truck wouldn't start. It tried, but instantly died. I suspected fuel pump, and ran some DX to confirm it. After swapping in a new pump (yes, I had one) it lit right up. For the most part warm starts are no longer an issue. If the fuel pump is not a Denso I would view it with suspicion.

Keep in mind that the fuel pressure regulator increases fuel pressure on warm starts to make starting easier (via the VSV).

If the COR starts getting weird, it wont actuate the relay in ST position.

Ive also seen EFI relays die and cause similar issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom