80 Series Factory Bumper Swing Out DIY Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There needs to be a tips and tricks thread for this thing; I'm not knocking the instructions Summit Cruisers Jr. has included, but I am confused by the bumper side gas strut ball(lug). I have room for maybe an 1/8" thick nut between the wing trim support and the supplied 2x4 that holds the spindle carrier. Just the plastic trim and the thickness of the trim support doesn't seem like much support for the ball stud. Was there a revision to this?
My advise so far:
Read the instructions more closely than I did!
Allow yourself time to get it done.
I had about a month gap between initial welding day, and second install session. In that time, I moved pretty much all of the parts and pieces at least twice.
As of today, I am still missing a m8 tap, and the bolts to mount my latch because I never went back and read the instructions again. Don't follow my lead.

Ok, one more for today. Feel free to kick this over to stupid question of the day. What is up with the grease zircs? Was I supposed to thread tap the holes or do they get tapped in with a mallet?

There needs to be a tips and tricks thread for this thing; I'm not knocking the instructions Summit Cruisers Jr. has included, but I am confused by the bumper side gas strut ball(lug). I have room for maybe an 1/8" thick nut between the wing trim support and the supplied 2x4 that holds the spindle carrier. Just the plastic trim and the thickness of the trim support doesn't seem like much support for the ball stud. Was there a revision to this?
My advise so far:
Read the instructions more closely than I did!
Allow yourself time to get it done.
I had about a month gap between initial welding day, and second install session. In that time, I moved pretty much all of the parts and pieces at least twice.
As of today, I am still missing a m8 tap, and the bolts to mount my latch because I never went back and read the instructions again. Don't follow my lead.

PM replied to, but for anyone else wondering, the ball stud assembly is held in place by the 2x4 outrigger after it is drilled and tapped.
This is how the hole looks from above the bumper wing, going through the skeleton, and into the 2x4 outrigger.
59D23A5C-F110-47C5-ABFC-667903440221.jpeg

The latch gets welded on, and the zerks are tapped into the bearing housing.

PM replied to, but for anyone else wondering, the ball stud assembly is held in place by the 2x4 outrigger after it is drilled and tapped.
This is how the hole looks from above the bumper wing, going through the skeleton, and into the 2x4 outrigger.
View attachment 2368975

The latch gets welded on, and the zerks are tapped into the bearing housing.

So plans on a new batch? Thanks 🤙🏾

Thanks for the PM and the hit in here. I appreciate it.
To all who are watching this, and are waiting with baited breath. This Kit is a very cool option, and @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr has been awesome on the customer support side of things too.
I also relocated my hitch to be "in" the factory bumper which added to my delays and complications.

I have a kit available. Bought ilast year but do not know how to weld them now :( , so pm me if someone would buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom