another 93 FZJ80 1HD-T swap done... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota's naturally-aspirated diesels do not take too well to turbos unless they are low-pressure units. When pushed they tend to overheat.

My opinion, of course. I'm sure there are those that will disagree.

In your opinion what’s my best option for a 5 speed diesel swap for an 80 series. I’m looking to get better mpgs out of my cruiser. Currently getting a max of 12 average here in DFW.

In your opinion what’s my best option for a 5 speed diesel swap for an 80 series. I’m looking to get better mpgs out of my cruiser. Currently getting a max of 12 average here in DFW.

I can't pick what is best for you. If I had a billfold full of excess cash, I'd like a Toyota 1HD-FTE. But I would certainly not kid myself that I'd get back the money spent doing it for the fuel economy improvement gained. .

I can't pick what is best for you. If I had a billfold full of excess cash, I'd like a Toyota 1HD-FTE. But I would certainly not kid myself that I'd get back the money spent doing it for the fuel economy improvement gained. .

Thank you for your insight, I totally get this isn’t the best for just getting mpgs but also it’s for “mo powa baby” and hauling😂

Consider buying a fast economical car and leaving the cruiser alone. You'll save a ton of money and time that way.

Consider buying a fast economical car and leaving the cruiser alone. You'll save a ton of money and time that way.
That is exactly what I have done. 485 horsepower and a clutch pedal. Pure magic.
20200630_135130.jpg

How does this bad boy go with the economical bit? 😁
My 80 gets about 9 miles per gallon in town and maybe 13 miles per gallon highway on a good day. The Challenger, if you avoid hammering the throttle, gets 14 in town and 24 on the highway.

I would love to! Next time I am in SLC I will come by the museum and you show me! A big V8 always sounds sweet.
Have you changed jobs?

I am in the Spokane WA VA hospital now, still finishing up. It was kind of a sudden move. They had 36 COVID patients from a state run veteran long term home and they were overwhelmed so I was transferred up to help.

Have you changed jobs?

Wow. I thought you were still here. Please stay safe. We need health care professionals such as yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom