steelies (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to this part of the forum. Just curious about running steelies on an 87 pick 4x4. I know they look good. Are a lot of y'all running them or do you prefer alloy b/c of the weight?

My preference is stock or good after market alloys. Lighter and they stay straight. Every set of steel I turned into potato chips

I've got 120,000 ++ miles on the steel wheels on my Land Cruiser with zero issues... well, other than maybe some reduced gas mileage... maybe. I put Toyota steel wheels on my '84 too - purely for the look. I'm sure there's power/mpg penalty. But, if the penalty were that significant, we'd see UPS and FedEx trucks with alloy wheels ;)

Steel wheels bend. Alloy wheels crack. Choose your poison.

I mean, does it get any cooler than this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 3.23.13 PM.png

My wheels are 15" FJ40 wheels - powder coated them to match the body.

My wheels are 15" FJ40 wheels - powder coated them to match the body.
Hi, Manhattan- I'm fully with you on what ascetically you are trying to accomplish. What size tire are you running? I just picked up three '83 rims a few weeks ago (15 x 5.5) and 2 off Ebay today. I am planning on putting them on a 1994 single cab for as close to stock/retro look as I can get. If I have to put a 2" lift, I will but I want to maintain as stock sleeper look, with a more aggressive tire. Not sure about the hubcaps (these don't have the clips). Will I need spacers, or will they rub? Ideally I want a tall narrow look, slightly higher than stock, and not over 9.5, or 10" wide.

Thanks.
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG

This is in the 60 series specific section but lots of information here:

Steel Wheel Thread

Also down below there is an entire sub-forum on wheels and tires with a ton of good info there including several recent threads on steel wheels.

BTW I believe this is the look you are after. And also from my reading you will have clearance issues with both calipers and the steering on an IFS truck. Throw the wheels on the front and see what you get.

4 X 4 Deluxe II.JPG

Hey @GBfromSLO don't sweat being a newbie... I've been a Toyota guys for years (FJC, 100) but knew nothing about these little trucks 'til I bought one last year. I had to ask all the same questions - Will these fit? Can I run X tires on X rims...

My FJ40 wheels and 33/10.50/15s fit great, but it's an '84 (solid axle) and has a couple inches of lift. Your application is quite a bit different. @Prairie Swamp nailed it - read, read... then test fit before mounting the tires. Oh, and then post pics!

Hey @GBfromSLO don't sweat being a newbie... I've been a Toyota guys for years (FJC, 100) but knew nothing about these little trucks 'til I bought one last year. I had to ask all the same questions - Will these fit? Can I run X tires on X rims...

My FJ40 wheels and 33/10.50/15s fit great, but it's an '84 (solid axle) and has a couple inches of lift. Your application is quite a bit different. @Prairie Swamp nailed it - read, read... then test fit before mounting the tires. Oh, and then post pics!
Thanks, and Oh I will be posting pics!

And also if the challenges prove to be too much with the early truck wheels you have - early Tundra steel wheels/early Tacoma spare wheels work but are 16".

tmp-cam-2860181879436128758.jpg

A different look from what you are after however. I personally wouldn't grind calipers or run spacers but that's me.

This is in the 60 series specific section but lots of information here:

Steel Wheel Thread

Also down below there is an entire sub-forum on wheels and tires with a ton of good info there including several recent threads on steel wheels.
I'm confused. This thread started with jgallo1 inquiring about running Steelies on an 84 pickup. That's not 60 Series. Am I missing something?

And also if the challenges prove to be too much with the early truck wheels you have - early Tundra steel wheels/early Tacoma spare wheels work but are 16".

View attachment 2381121

A different look from what you are after however. I personally wouldn't grind calipers or run spacers but that's me.
I would go this route too, if it means not having to use spacers. Are these 16 or 17 and is that suspension stock? That's an around 04, would my 94 pick up have the same caliper.., ah I'm off to the tire store to see if these rollers I have on the rims I picked up will fit. Thanks guys.

16" wheels, 235/85/16 tires and tired stock suspension. I can speak to the calipers on the 94 but they are probably different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom