What did you do on your 70 series today? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went out to the lake last night.

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8105.jpg

They've pulled a lot of water out of the lake so a good chunk of hard packed sand is there now. Still lots of powdered sugar type that we walked over in first gear while trucks and others were getting stuck and trying to rally it :rofl:

Testing 12H-T after rebuild :) The plan is to install it on BJ75 in the near future.

Next J75 gets a new 6H9 paint, in a couple of weeks I hope..

picture.php

Looks like an ACE project. I'll send you my 12HT and you can rebuild it too. ;)

You and I have some of the same things going at the same time. I will be starting tire carrier within 3 weeks. A couple of points I have been considering and will implement: Rear rack/carrier must not interfere with use of high lift jack, Any carrier that covers the left rear door must have a latch so that when the door is opened from the inside for exit it will disengage the latch(door bumps open latch when opened from inside).. Front wheel drive wheel hub/bearing assemblies make a good start for a pivot point to weld to the bumper..... If your bumper flexes/bends when you high lift jack under it, it will push your tire/equipment carrier into the back doors/window. (I will have this problem if I don't rework my bumper mounts and have considered mounting my carrier to the body ,like a newer jeep, instead of the bumper because of this)........I bought a cheap "cut 50" inverter plasma cutter on ebay for $165. It's finicky at times but it was a good purchase.....Spray on bedliner looks good on bumpers, some type of grippy sand embedded deck paint is better for practicality, both of these help blend in welds and grinds..
Good luck!

Last edited:
Started to put this together, not sure where it’s headed as I didn’t really do and drafting but it’s looking good so far.

Also did a little refreshing on the door strikers. Next will be door hinges and gaskets.

Also freshened up the corner lamps and it looks so much better.

584D0490-A66B-4E73-83D9-60D2D4A8A8DA.jpeg

8DBF2F39-CAA5-4689-93C8-960B5CB9E015.jpeg

Started to put this together, not sure where it’s headed as I didn’t really do and drafting but it’s looking good so far.

Also did a little refreshing on the door strikers. Next will be door hinges and gaskets.

Also freshened up the corner lamps and it looks so much better.

View attachment 2364671

View attachment 2364859

looking good Alika! Long time no talk, should have tried to look you up when we were in SoCal a month ago.

If you ride bikes and like to 4WD, then you know bike racks are a PITA. My HDJ81 had a spare tire swingout with a receiver hitch welded to the arm but it bounced around a lot so I wanted to make something more secure. I used the same 4xInnovations hinge that @Gus used on the wheel swingout (this used to be his 75 - he built the bumper) and disassembled a RakAttach that I had, salvaging the main swing arm, and used the 4xInnovations bolt, mounting it all up. You would think the magnetic locking pin wouldn't be enough to hold it all in place but we built this so that the hitch and rack's weight is supported by the nesting plate. The pin is magnetic, so it takes a good yank to pull it up. Came out pretty good! A friend named Greg here in Santa Fe welded it all up out of his metal shop on 3rd Street... We can always add a swingout latch later if we need it but a test last night proved it to be plenty strong.

75_02.jpg

75_01.jpg

3rdstmetal-40.jpg

3rdstmetal-41.jpg

If you ride bikes and like to 4WD, then you know bike racks are a PITA. My HDJ81 had a spare tire swingout with a receiver hitch welded to the arm but it bounced around a lot so I wanted to make something more secure. I used the same 4xInnovations hinge that @Gus used on the wheel swingout (this used to be his 75 - he built the bumper) and disassembled a RakAttach that I had, salvaging the main swing arm, and used the 4xInnovations bolt, mounting it all up. You would think the magnetic locking pin wouldn't be enough to hold it all in place but we built this so that the hitch and rack's weight is supported by the nesting plate. The pin is magnetic, so it takes a good yank to pull it up. Came out pretty good! A friend named Greg here in Santa Fe welded it all up out of his metal shop on 3rd Street... We can always add a swingout latch later if we need it but a test last night proved it to be plenty strong.

View attachment 2365385

View attachment 2365386

View attachment 2365387

View attachment 2365388

Beautiful pictures!

Cut up corrugated plastic and bobby pins = dividers for my Drifta kitchen

Those coroplast sheets are very popular in manufacturing. We buy a lot of them. Usually the thicker ones.

Cut up corrugated plastic and bobby pins = dividers for my Drifta kitchen
50092230857_6bb173eafa_b.jpg
Wow! Your Bodum grinder travels with you!? You’ve got me thinking now...

Wow! Your Bodum grinder travels with you!? You’ve got me thinking now...

we're not savages, dude :grinpimp:

I had to buy a second one to live in my HDJ81, was happy to find there's now a cheaper version - same grinder but no timer and a plastic snap in cup to catch the grounds instead of the glass cup I broke on the first trip. I like it better as a truck grinder.

Lol, "truck grinder"

Those coroplast sheets are very popular in manufacturing. We buy a lot of them. Usually the thicker ones.

Cool. This was the only size I saw (at Michaels, lol) and it seems perfect for this, but I could see a thicker version being pretty useful.

After the rear is finished, I’m going to be deciding on a rear bumper. I’m between dobinsons, kaymar, and 4x4 labs. I’m leaning more towards 4x4labs since it’s closer and a lot more customizable.

Then suspension. I have no clue who I’m gonna use for my suspension. Kinda leaning towards dobinsons leaves and tough dog shocks. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
I've been having ever worsening fuel starvation issues on the BJ73. Checked that all lines were tight and no change. Bypassed the fuel filter and the truck ran great. My factory primer pump no longer functions correctly so I ordered a generic spin on filter head with primer pump, but it doesn't fit standard fuel filters here in the US. I installed a universal 3/8" inline fuel filter till I get this sorted out. I am very happy that my problem was simple and not something wrong with the IP.

Had some trouble with High EGT's as well. As it turns out it was mostly related to the fuel starvation, but on another point........Others on the forum have said their EGT's lowered when they went with a more free flowing exhaust instead of the restricted factory exhaust. My highest EGT's were trying to accelerate uphill or maintain highway speed on hills with the AC on. My downpipe is 2.25", but the stock exhaust and muffler is 1.75" or maybe 1.625" in some places......As a experiment I unbolted the stock system and let my 2.25" downpipe dump into the right fenderwell. My EGT's dropped 100 degrees C. A 2.25" free flowing exhaust system is in my future. That + a snorkel pulling cool air will likely reduce EGT's enough to allow fueling that enables 70MPH on rolling hills with the AC blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom