Tires for fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HG2

Threads
looking for tires for fj62. I have no lift but would like to run as large a tire as is reasonable without needing modifications

You have a 62 with the heat generating A440F auto transmission. The larger the tire you go without regearing the more damage you could cause. I recommend installing a transmission cooler regardless of tire size.

Tires:
31x10.5 as stated above is the highest I would go without a regear. Avoid E rated tires as they are heavier too.

What safety reasons specifically? Usually it's the other way around. You can't put a 12.5" wide tire on a stock narrow rim.

I have heard others have the same issue with Discount Tire, but the Discount Tire in my area has installed 2 sets of 31x10.5 over time without any complaints.

Last edited:
Recommended brands for 62?
I run KO2s on my Tundra. Not mudding ....mainly city driving and hunting camp roads

Is this a pavement princess :princess:
If not I absolutely love my Cooper ST Maxx. Great on snow/ icy packed roads up to ski resort and in deep fresh snow, and great on highway.
4.10 with 4BT and 5 speed with 37s and am getting 21.5-16.5 mpg.

I've attached a screenshot from Discount Tire, showing the 31x10.5 as a factory tire size.
Screenshot_2020-07-08 Discount Tire Store Tallahassee, FL 32301 Tire Shop Near Me.png

Discount Tire is great and I'd show them their own site where they list that size as an option. If you have another DT store in your area just try over there.

Otherwise, I have a true 32 (Maxxis Bigfoot) on my 60 and that's probably the biggest on stock suspension, also keep in mind some 33 class tires actually measure 32" or less.

Discount Tire is great and I'd show them their own site where they list that size as an option. If you have another DT store in your area just try over there.

Otherwise, I have a true 32 (Maxxis Bigfoot) on my 60 and that's probably the biggest on stock suspension, also keep in mind some 33 class tires actually measure 32" or less.
Does it make you noticeably sluggish?

you are going to overheat your transmission the bigger you go on tires with the auto trans.

Reactions: HG2
@HG2 yeah, it can— up long mountain grades it's a hunt between 3rd and 4th, but it also makes 1st a usable gear and gets you a little more top end on flat ground which is helpful.

31x10.5 should be fine on a stock 62 with an automatic.
You shouldn’t notice any real difference in performance...and yes, a transmission cooler is always recommended.
I run 33x10.5 on my 62 (lifted) and haven't notice any sluggishness to speak of.

be careful here. this is exactly where i started. i noticed mine being sluggish with OME lift and 33s. i put a tranny cooler and regeared my diffs. 4.56 with 33 put the speedo almost back to normal. as i put more money and time into it i wanted more and more. now i have a 1hdt and an h55 in there and went back to 4:11s with an arb and a full body job etc etc. it’s an illness and it starts with tires!!

in all honesty though i did find it struggles on hills with 33s until i regeared it. thankfully i can use my 4.56 in my 40 now. i love the look of 33s on a 60 series

Reactions: HG2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom