SPC A Arm Squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SPC squeaks drive me absolutely nuts...

Literally About to replace mine fully, but if the newest units are also immediately squeaking???

Who’s got a solution/alternative here???

xAxis bushings are not available for the 200 series arms. I've spoken with SPC about this; you can only replace with SpecRide bushings like they come with.

xAxis bushings are not available for the 200 series arms. I've spoken with SPC about this; you can only replace with SpecRide bushings like they come with.

Ya, I just confirmed same after talking with them a few minutes ago. Trying to mess with this while my eyes work... :)

Just relaying g what SPC said below....
Another Q that came up above...they said with these particular bushings....it does NOt actually matter whether they are tightened under truck weight load or not. They said that although that’s true with most installs, these particular 200 series units are such that it makes no difference... ?

Re squeak...
They think it is most likely coming from the surface between the bushing and the larger washer...so...they suggest just a basic backing of the nut loose about 5 threads to allow a bit of a gap...ad high moly grease (like Valvoline Paladium 5%...or 3%)... Then bump long bolt through to create a small gap on the other side (one long bolt secured both sides) add grease to same washer...then regighten. No further fiddling for tetighten.

He said this is the most likely source of the squeak, but of course cannot be certain in each case.

Also....
Without the x-axis upgraded part available yet, the replacement set of bushings (1 set equals all components for both arms) the part number is 25496 and around $57 or so through distributors. Sounds like the c-axis is many months away. When the x-axis set comes out, those should be around $200 for full bushing replacements for the new type.

Tried hard to zoom in and see what I’ve typed here, so hopefully all intact... Meh. Nothing earth shattering...

m

Last edited:
Today, I drilled and tapped my SPC UCA for grease zerks and this also means I drilled through the poly so the grease would get to the inner steel sleeve. The squeak was starting to sound like an out of tune clarinet. When I had the UCA ball joint free, I could raise and lower it by hand and determine that the noise was coming from just the front bushing, not the aft bushing. After loosening the main nut and bold I added grease to the zerk, then retorqued, I raised and lowered three or four times and then in stopped squeeeeking. So I hope the grease made it into the area needed. The vehicle right side bushings have been quiet so far but I still added zerks to them.

Markuson, thank you for making that contact with SPC because the last thing I tried last month before the zerks as to loosen the main nut and bolt enough to clean the surface between the large washer and the poly bushing, I then made a washer out out of HDPE then cut it so I could install the front of the bolt without removing the batt. Thinking this would change the resination of the two moving part and added some grease to be sure. Clarinet noise still persisted. (type of grease didn't matter at this point)

So to summarize, the main squeeeeeek was coming from the contact area between the steel inner sleeve and the polyurethane bushing. If there was a squeeek coming from the washers contact with the polyurethane then it was not as loud.

image0-2.jpeg

The trail tailor arms seem to come with a joint that won’t have these issues, though I don’t know if he plans to make any more for 200s.

Oh yeah. I have a set of these on the way from cruiser outfitters. Should I look for other options?

FWIW, I've used the x-axis joints for a couple of projects. Not terribly impressed with the longevity.

Here are the OEM parts I'm looking at for my future arms... I'm building some for my Tacoma first. They are a giant version of inner shaft bushings, M30 in diameter at the inner pivot... they should be the best of both worlds, a sealed greasable pivot, with a small cushion of rubber. The rubber In no way is required to twist or shear, simply a cushion to damp NVH and allow slight misalignment. Ball joints will be greaseable style.
IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG

Some UCA's that have piqued my curiosity based on these impressions with SPC or greasable ones like Icon or Total Chaos, are the BlackHawk and Dobinsons offerings. Both are completely sealed (no need for regular greasing/maintenance) and have a fixed 3 degree caster correction (one less failure point without adjustability). These would be the OE-style like @bloc mentioned: they use OE-style ball joints, bushings, etc. but with fixed caster correction for lifts and thicker metal for better strength and durability. Functionally, the same basic design as OEM. Perhaps this would mean less squeaking, less greasing worries, longer lifespans, less failures, etc.

Obviously not the best option for serious and heavy duty setups which need adjustability and greasability, but for lighter use (daily driver/weekend warriors) it seems like a no-hassle, no-worry setup that could(?) give close to OEM lifespans. This would be much like the debate of rebuildable, serviceable, and adjustable coilovers versus (mostly) set-and-forget twin tube nitrogen shock lifts (OE-style).

Some UCA's that have piqued my curiosity based on these impressions with SPC or greasable ones like Icon or Total Chaos, are the BlackHawk and Dobinsons offerings. Both are completely sealed (no need for regular greasing/maintenance) and have a fixed 3 degree caster correction (one less failure point without adjustability). These would be the OE-style like @bloc mentioned: they use OE-style ball joints, bushings, etc. but with fixed caster correction for lifts and thicker metal for better strength and durability. Functionally, the same basic design as OEM. Perhaps this would mean less squeaking, less greasing worries, longer lifespans, less failures, etc.

Obviously not the best option for serious and heavy duty setups which need adjustability and greasability, but for lighter use (daily driver/weekend warriors) it seems like a no-hassle, no-worry setup that could(?) give close to OEM lifespans. This would be much like the debate of rebuildable, serviceable, and adjustable coilovers versus (mostly) set-and-forget twin tube nitrogen shock lifts (OE-style).
Good catch! I wasn’t aware of anyone using original style bushings. This makes a 1.5-2” lift within the realm of possibility as I was settling on refusing to give up and run poly bushings.

Today, I drilled and tapped my SPC UCA for grease zerks and this also means I drilled through the poly so the grease would get to the inner steel sleeve. The squeak was starting to sound like an out of tune clarinet. When I had the UCA ball joint free, I could raise and lower it by hand and determine that the noise was coming from just the front bushing, not the aft bushing. After loosening the main nut and bold I added grease to the zerk, then retorqued, I raised and lowered three or four times and then in stopped squeeeeking. So I hope the grease made it into the area needed. The vehicle right side bushings have been quiet so far but I still added zerks to them.

Markuson, thank you for making that contact with SPC because the last thing I tried last month before the zerks as to loosen the main nut and bolt enough to clean the surface between the large washer and the poly bushing, I then made a washer out out of HDPE then cut it so I could install the front of the bolt without removing the batt. Thinking this would change the resination of the two moving part and added some grease to be sure. Clarinet noise still persisted. (type of grease didn't matter at this point)

So to summarize, the main squeeeeeek was coming from the contact area between the steel inner sleeve and the polyurethane bushing. If there was a squeeek coming from the washers contact with the polyurethane then it was not as loud.

View attachment 2358764

Hmmm...
I just (two days ago!) talked to someone well acquainted with UCAs...who runs Blackhawks on his 200 and is happy with them....but I’ll have to ask for details on his lift, use, alignment, etc.

Hmmmm....
-Will call him back ASAP.

I'm hope Kurt can chime in on this thread since he's a SPC retailer. Wonder what he has to say about these and if he recommends the best way to install these to avoid the squeaking and bushing/washer failures. Otherwise I'm thinking mine aren't coming out of the box and will head back to Utah.

Torsion bar, MegaCruiser. Coaster also.
Torsion bar is out of frame on the right, acting on the short upper? I was looking for one but had it in my head the right side was the front of the vehicle.

I'm hope Kurt can chime in on this thread since he's a SPC retailer. Wonder what he has to say about these and if he recommends the best way to install these to avoid the squeaking and bushing/washer failures. Otherwise I'm thinking mine aren't coming out of the box and will head back to Utah.
I don't know if Kurt will chime in, but I'm local to Cruiser Outfitters and Brice (Kurt's manager) has been good to work with. Brice told me they sell a ton of the SPC UCA's and the issue I'm experiencing is new to him. Brice is working with SPC to troubleshoot my issue and I'm hoping to resolve the issue via a warranty claim soon. Not sure if that helps.

Had SPC installed with BP-51 back in January. Everything was great, then I had to have the front readjusted to a lower preload. After that point, there has been an annoying squeak that makes my LC sound like a jalopy (that squeak and a rattling in the rear). Not quite the improvement I was expecting for the $$$.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to have it looked at. COVID has caused a massive influx of work at Mudrak. Hope to have it addressed soon. I've bookmarked this thread in case Gary can't pinpoint the issue. Love this forum.

Had SPC installed with BP-51 back in January. Everything was great, then I had to have the front readjusted to a lower preload. After that point, there has been an annoying squeak that makes my LC sound like a jalopy (that squeak and a rattling in the rear). Not quite the improvement I was expecting for the $$$.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to have it looked at. COVID has caused a massive influx of work at Mudrak. Hope to have it addressed soon. I've bookmarked this thread in case Gary can't pinpoint the issue. Love this forum.

On your rear look for an extra washer bouncing around near the top of the struts that needs to be removed.

Spoke to cruiser outfitters today about the install. They don't touch kdss if they're just doing UCAs. Also they grease the bushings, inside the metal inserts, the bolt and in between all washers with chassis grease. They also torque the arm once the vehicle is on the ground.

Im going to give it a go and install mine this week.

So a thought on the SPC squeak. I watched a youtube video about “rebuilding BP-51’s”, which turned out to be more of replacing the spherical bushings at the bottom and top of the front shocks. Anyways, the guy doing the repair demonstrated how his BP-51’s squeaked at the slightest bump. He only replaced the lower spherical bushing, but the squeak went away. He also had SPC UCA’s, but the squeak was from the lower spherical bushing on the BP-51’s. My thought is this, anyone running SPC’s are likely running performance aftermarket suspension components for a lift of 2’ or more as well. Could the “SPC squeak” actually also be the bottom spherical bushing just going bad from getting so much crud into it? I’m about to replace the bushings on my SPC UCA‘s, so I’ll find out first hand if this is the case. Just some food for thought though…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom