Windshield washer diverter valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My three way nipple hack still puts a smile on my face every time I get a little dribble out back.

15 minutes?? - does that include the grilling burgers and hot dogs, or just 3 beers? (sorry, I was an auto tech on flat rate for a decade, I just had to)
It really did and I'm a SLOW old cuss. A 12 mm combo wrench, a small screwdriver, and a pocketknife.

I was shocked I got it done in that time and I even included my time pulling and replacing tools.

Normally, I use the factor of "x2 +30" so if someone says 2 hours, it's 4-1/2 hours for me.

Thanks, i'll add it to a list as I have other stuff to order. Never knew about that site.
I'm plenty good with a dozen T's for now haha. Can't beat $3

Still have to tackle that sunroof :rolleyes:
I bought mine new for $26.xx from partsouq. I had a BUNCH of other things to come along for the ride, so my freight was lower. Total bill was about $125 less than USA shipped.

Took me 15 minutes to swap in the new one and I now have front or rear when I need it!

Thanks, i'll add it to a list as I have other stuff to order. Never knew about that site.
I'm plenty good with a dozen T's for now haha. Can't beat $3

Still have to tackle that sunroof :rolleyes:
I always compare between
www.partsouq.com

Both will give me a freight estimate as well. both give quick credit if it turns out they are out of stock and don't ship it.

I sign up for the DHL Freight from Partsouq, it seems to be better, more expensive, and a tick faster, but more importantly, they don't drop off my orders at the local Walgreens. They drop at my front door.

anyone give a picture of where diverter is located?

Take a look at the diagram in Partsouq. It gives and idea of where everything is.

Yes, it's inside the LF fender, just to the rear of the charcoal canister. (This is on LHD units)

just replaced it

A60BCAF0-464E-4704-975B-E452821B9E6D.jpeg

For whatever its worth, I took my diverter out and removed the top plastic cap (crimped on with metal edges of the diverter body. I cleaned the plastic washer (the one with holes in it) and scraped all the old crud off of the metal washer that sits on the spring. Once clean, I put a piece of electrical tape on each side, razor bladed it so it fit the circumference. Put it all back together, crimped the body back on so it holds the plastic cap down and what do you know? Diverter works again. Figured it was worth a shot instead of spending more money.

Nice idea, but I'd be surprised if it lasts for long. I would expect the tape to come loose and possibly cause a blockage?? Got photos of the mod?

Nice idea, but I'd be surprised if it lasts for long. I would expect the tape to come loose and possibly cause a blockage?? Got photos of the mod?
Agree, itll probably booger up again. I put a heatgun to the tape to try and get some bonding with the metal. Didn't take any photos but if youve ever taken apart the diverter cap, its just a spring, a metal washer with some sort of rubberized coating and then the plastic washer with holes in it. I basically made the metal washer clean, a piece of electrical tape on each side, cut the excess so it look like circle. Ill post back here when it stops working for me.

I recall when I pulled the defective washer diverter apart from my 96 80 the rubber coated steel disc also was corroded which made the rubber seal rough (not flat), causing it to leak. The OEM replacement started to leak again after less than ?5-6 years IIRC.

Here's a previous discussion about a modified replacement valve:

Last edited:
I tried the cheap dorman 47349 “mod,” as my valve doesn’t work quite right. For me, the valve sprays the front no matter what, and takes 5 seconds or so to dribble on the back when I tell it to spray there, meanwhile unnecessarily soaking the front. Unfortunately the t-fitting made my front spray weak, and rear too strong, especially considering I rarely want/need to actually wash the rear. I clipped the top of the T for full flow, left the bottom reducer on, and even crimped it so the hole was tiny.. still no dice. Wondering if it actually had the opposite effect by reducing flow, thus increasing pressure? Curious to get another one and leave the reducers on all 3 ends. Either way, not my cup of tea, so reinstalled valve. Eventually if I care enough, I’ll buy a new one..

Thanks to the contributors on this thread, diverter valve replaced and I now have working front and rear windshield sprayers! It's got to be at least a decade or more since the rear sprayer worked!! When the fronts stopped working I thought perhaps the pump at the reservoir bottle had gone bad. Took it off and pump was fine...the rubber grommet between the pump and bottle disintegrated however! Know how hard it is to find one of those little grommets!? Got it in yesterday and reassembled everything at the bottle, had installed the diverter a couple of days ago. Everything worked! Not bad for a 28 year old truck.

I found today on my 80 that the diverter module has been removed. Must have died at some point?? Anyway, i ordered a new one but not certain of how it it all connected. This illustration helps a lot but my question is, does the line going into the firewall to the rear window connect to the bottom of the diverter module? Top looks like it goes to the front sprayer and hose from reservoirs to the middle connection.

I think what’s confusing me is all the pictures of the diverter show it comes with one hose already connected to the bottom.
B93C4B08-B03C-4288-800E-75A6F152E793.png

Last edited:
Two schools of thought here in thread:

Penny saved, penny earned

Penny wise, pound foolish

Some of y’all have a megaton of time on your hands. Lmao

Two schools of thought here in thread:

Penny saved, penny earned

Penny wise, pound foolish

Some of y’all have a megaton of time on your hands. Lmao
Curious why you say that on this one?

To me, this is a legit question.
He's asking about orientation of the valve body.

*Edit*. Never mind. When I go back and read the entire thread, the comment makes sense. I was only reading the most recent.
Yeah, there are a lot of creative things people will to to "save" $5...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom