Windshield washer diverter valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s the one. ^^^^

My valve on two 80’s works fine.

I just removed mine and did away with the rear option. I just replaced it with a a straight fitting to get full power to the front. Never missed having the option to spray the rear .

My valve on two 80’s works fine.
Does it get a nice mist on the rear or more of a slow pour?

Mine works directionally and I can pick front or rear but the rear doesn't really spray. The wiper just gets most of the scunce off but I was hoping for more of a mist.

Maybe gummed up nozzles?

Does it get a nice mist on the rear or more of a slow pour?

Mine works directionally and I can pick front or rear but the rear doesn't really spray. The wiper just gets most of the scunce off but I was hoping for more of a mist.

Maybe gummed up nozzles?
I have cleaned my spray nozzle with a welder tip cleaner. That makes the flow more of a stream.

As a side note, if anyone has a handle on a '78-83 VW Rabbit washer system, that thing was a veritable carwash. My fave part was how to sprince the front windows you just gave it a slight pull, but if you wanted to spray the rear window you just had to pull further on the same lever and the sprayer shot a line over the roof and it landed on the rear window where some weird German wiper took care of the rest.

See, this is what separates Toyota people from everyone else. Learning about the common failure points on trucks that are all pushing 300,000 miles is fun. It's also incredible that we can just stop by the nearest Mr. T dealership and order parts en masse for these trucks. You just can't do that for any other make other than maybe Honda. Most companies will give you 5 years of support and then after that, you are on your own.

Anyway, rant over. I need this on my truck. I have the same issue. I also learned today that the sunroof is designed to stop about 3 inches of the way from closed. I would have spent a lifetime tracking all of this stuff down on my own. You folks just make it so easy to own these machines.

Toyota the only company that will give you a recall 23 years after the date

After 23 years of backyard mechanics Enola gets here day at Toyota dealership

First off, it might help us, to help you, if you told us what year truck your working on.

Thanks for the idea!
I ended up getting a 1/4" barbed T from the hardware store. $3 for 12!
(they also have shutoff valves for a few bucks to manually close off the rear- garden fittings)
Full blast on the windshield again
Couldn't bring myself to pull $70 for the oem diverter....

I came to accept the dribble out back, in fact I decided to design for it. After attempting to service the diverter, I just deleted it and replaced with this. The genius of this was that I could have full flow to the front, and a dribble to the back, which is still enough to wash the rear if you want or just let it dribble. You just clip the T for full flow to the front, and leave the reducer in place for the back line. Easy peasy $2 part at AutoZone. View attachment 1888656

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea!
I ended up getting a 1/4" barbed T from the hardware store. $3 for 12!
(they also have shutoff valves for a few bucks to manually close off the rear- garden fittings)
Full blast on the windshield again
Couldn't bring myself to pull $70 for the oem diverter....

Exactly! Since this thread was bumped to the top today: I went out and found a 3 way T in the shop and tossed the busted diverted in the trash. Took 5 minutes. Also cleaned and aimed all the spray nozzles - Works like a dream. It truly is the little things!

OEM part FTW! Its nice when things work.

Yes, a lot of little things really make a big difference!

Exactly! Since this thread was bumped to the top today: I went out and found a 3 way T in the shop and tossed the busted diverted in the trash. Took 5 minutes. Also cleaned and aimed all the spray nozzles - Works like a dream. It truly is the little things!

I bought mine new for $26.xx from partsouq. I had a BUNCH of other things to come along for the ride, so my freight was lower. Total bill was about $125 less than USA shipped.

Took me 15 minutes to swap in the new one and I now have front or rear when I need it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom