1988 FJ62 owners- cold start injector temp switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I thought I would post up this helpful tip to all the 88 FJ62 owners. The cold start injector timer switch for our 88 3FE is long gone. But the 89-92 version is still alive and well... for now. To make the switch (like I did when my switch died) is to buy the newer version (8946220040) and use this updated terminal ( Toyota Lexus 2-Pin Water Coolant Temp Connector Plug Kit 90980-10735 90980-11061 ). Its a easy swap and I did it personally. I am sure there is a OEM version of this terminal and maybe someone could post that number, but this is the terminal I found that worked.
Cheers to you 3FE owners. :grinpimp:

Its used to tell the ECU to fire the cold start injector or not. It senses the coolant temperature for the decision. If you are having trouble starting when the engine is cold this could be a culprit.

I love when people post the wiring information along with the part. Thanks for the helpful hint. Mine is still running strong and I have a spare at the moment. :D

My 62 always takes a bit longer than expected to start when cold. Is there a way to test your switch and see if it’s bad?

My 62 always takes a bit longer than expected to start when cold. Is there a way to test your switch and see if it’s bad?
Definitely! There is a test outlined in the FSM
1593543386272.png

Be aware that cold start injector can clog and the whole system will pass all electrical tests, but the truck still won't start readily in the cold.

YO!! 62'ers!!! This month, I gleefully added to the LC collection, an 88 FJ62. Strong rig, no rust, all stock. 213K miles. I'm working through the rig replacing missing and worn out parts with the goal of getting the 3FE engine running at its highest potential. Most parts that are specific to the 62's are all VERY hard to find, A LOT of online searching, and a lot of $$$. I am replacing the cold start switch OEM part number 8946220010, which I believe is the switch ya'll are referring to here. I guess I got supper lucky in finding a refurbished OEM part. Where I have failed, is to find a replacement cold start injector, OEM part number 2326069026. The one I have appears to be in need of replacement. However, given that I have been completely unable to find this part, new, refurbished, or aftermarket, and given the materials used to manufacture this part.....I suspect my only path forward is to rebuild it the one I have. However, again, I cant find any guides to rebuilding this C'/S injector. Any suggestions as to a source for a replacement part, or opinions on rebuilding the one I have???

Thanks LC FAM!!!

I had my cold start injector refurbished by WitchHunter Performance. Works great!

I thought I would post up this helpful tip to all the 88 FJ62 owners. The cold start injector timer switch for our 88 3FE is long gone. But the 89-92 version is still alive and well... for now. To make the switch (like I did when my switch died) is to buy the newer version (8946220040) and use this updated terminal ( Toyota Lexus 2-Pin Water Coolant Temp Connector Plug Kit 90980-10735 90980-11061 ). Its a easy swap and I did it personally. I am sure there is a OEM version of this terminal and maybe someone could post that number, but this is the terminal I found that worked.
Cheers to you 3FE owners. :grinpimp:
Awesome and thanks for posting. 62 owners need this type of help. Also agree with the other comments, pull and clean the injector fixes many of the issues....but knowing what to do next if it doesnt is a major help.
Well done.

Definitely! There is a test outlined in the FSM
View attachment 2357436

Here is a loaded question, which connector is the correct one for the cold start vs the temp sensor?
I have a 3FE I acquired, rebuilt and in reassembly may have gotten my coolant plugs crossed? One is green the other a dark gray.
I intentionally crossed them to see if it mattered but no difference.
Can anybody tell me before I start cutting and splicing?

Cold start sensor connector is 90980-11061
And the temp sensor connector is 90980-11062

There is a difference in the "guide slots" within the connector. I do not believe they should be swappable. Google the numbers and you can see from the pics. :) But like @dad4x4 said, cold start is black and temp sensor is green or gray depending on source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom