Scheel-Mann Seat Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Members,

I need some help with whole vehicle seat replacement. The front seats in my 1995 FJ 80 are in bad shape and they aren't even the original factory seats. The 2nd row seats are wearing and figured I would just as well replace them also. I spoke to an upholstery kit person, sent him photos of my current seats and he told me those aren't the OEM seats. So, I guess during the lineage of ownership of this vehicle by someone, that someone replaced the seats. Which then also means new covers won't fit my seats because I don't even know what seats I have.

I emailed the German company that was mentioned in this thread and haven't heard back yet. Figured its Covid related. Any other ideas? I don't mind welding and fitting, just need ideas for comfortable seats for overlanding?

Much appreciated.

View attachment 2314246

View attachment 2314247

PM sent

I don't mind welding and fitting, just need ideas for comfortable seats for overlanding?

Check this thread. Lots of ideas for replacement seats.

How's the cloth wearing on these seats over the past 3 years? Tough enough for some abuse (e.g., dogs)? Hold up to, and clean up after, a few weeks off road?

I am also seriously considering these seats!!!! My primary challenge in the stock seats is that I am a giant at 6'8" although I do have the Landtank seat extensions which made a world of difference. Anyone in the Southern California area with these? Heck anywhere near SoCal? I just have too much apprehension investing 4k in something I've never sat in...

Cloth wear is not bad. It wears a bit, but it still feels clean and rugged. I *have* Googled seat covers for them, which would be nice j.i.c.

I have the Vario XXL driver's seat, it goes WAY back, and is accommodating, but I'm also 6'2", not 6'8"

GIANT improvement over stock, esp with armrest

my $0.02

@hamishpotter - mostly normal wear and tear, in/out of the truck on those seats? i have dogs, and they tend to get into the front seats on trips no matter what you do. wondering if the cloth would hold up to claws.

my leather seats have gotten scratched, but that usually cleans up pretty well. the cloth worries me a little, but i like that it keeps your butt planted better in the seat than leather.

The Corbeau Sport Seats are very comfortable (I am 6' 3" 230 lbs) and MUCH cheaper!

The Corbeau Sport Seats are very comfortable (I am 6' 3" 230 lbs) and MUCH cheaper!

I like these. Would be great to sit in these as well. Only downside is there is no armrest option!

I like these. Would be great to sit in these as well. Only downside is there is no armrest option!
Tuffy Center Console is a good fix....sits much higher than OEM

I might email Toby and see if they have covers. They've done enough Land Rovers I imagine all those people fox hunting on estates must need covers too..

Seat fabric is top quality, haven't spilled coffee or anything so don't know about cleaning. Seat cover would be great for protection.
Only problem I'm working through is the Planted seat bracket doesn't allow for seat to be centered. Need bracket to shift seat 1.5" right & up about 1".
Being 6'.1" 200lb Scheel Mann seat makes a big difference for long drives, would suggest one with all th
20200614_205020.jpg
e adjustments.

My pair of Sheel-Mann's just arrived and I agree with everything that's been said about working with Toby - He's been great, including meeting me at his facility in Portland so I could butt test the seats before buying. I settled on a pair of Vario XXL's in brown with sliders and an armrest for the driver.

How have people been mounting the seat belt? Stock mounts to the seat, but it looks like the aftermarket route is to mount to the Planted bracket, though I know Sheel-Mann has an option to mount to their slider. Any challenges with the static mounting point when moving the seat back and forward? (I'm 6'5", wife is 5'3 - we have pretty different seating positions).

My pair of Sheel-Mann's just arrived and I agree with everything that's been said about working with Toby - He's been great, including meeting me at his facility in Portland so I could butt test the seats before buying. I settled on a pair of Vario XXL's in brown with sliders and an armrest for the driver.

How have people been mounting the seat belt? Stock mounts to the seat, but it looks like the aftermarket route is to mount to the Planted bracket, though I know Sheel-Mann has an option to mount to their slider. Any challenges with the static mounting point when moving the seat back and forward? (I'm 6'5", wife is 5'3 - we have pretty different seating positions).

Keep us posted on what you find out. I saw this company Wedge makes seat bracket that mounts up to the FJ80 with optional sliders for Corbeau, Recaro and Scheel-mann aftermarket seats. That might be option. I have currently have the Corbeau seats and on a long trip over an hour they start causing back pain so may go the Scheel-mann route.

I have Planted mounts inbound. Ordered them custom since they don't typically come with a scheel-mann slider hole pattern (apparently it interferes with Recaro pattern). Planted usually has standard brackets for the 80 in stock with their regular hole pattern for multiple manufacturers. I'll post a picture up when I get everything mounted.

Anyone in Los Angeles with the Vario XXL? Looking to get my seat in the seat and see if these live up to the hype. Also extremely tall so hoping these help with that too.

Last edited:
Keep us posted on what you find out. I saw this company Wedge makes seat bracket that mounts up to the FJ80 with optional sliders for Corbeau, Recaro and Scheel-mann aftermarket seats. That might be option. I have currently have the Corbeau seats and on a long trip over an hour they start causing back pain so may go the Scheel-mann route.
Which Corbeau seats do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom