Titling and Antique Registration new FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey VA Folks, I need some help. I can find plenty online about how to transfer an out of State title and registering a vehicle in VA, and I can find plenty on applying for an antique plate. What I cannot find is how to transfer the title without registering and then being able to apply for the antique plate.

In other words... If I apply for the transfer of title it seems I have to register it and pay all the taxes, which I don't want to do obviously. If I register it as an antique vehicle I will have to present the title, which is still in my Father's name. It seems like a bit of a catch 22.

Has any one dealt with this before? I have only ever purchased at dealerships prior to this.

You need the title signed over to you. Take the title in to the DMV and register it with an Antique plate. They will either charge you taxes based on what's listed as the selling price on the title or book value so in either case it won't be much. Once you have the antique plate you won't pay another red cent on it for tax purposes.

You need the title signed over to you. Take the title in to the DMV and register it with an Antique plate. They will either charge you taxes based on what's listed as the selling price on the title or book value so in either case it won't be much. Once you have the antique plate you won't pay another red cent on it for tax purposes.
Alright, thank you! I am sure the DMV is a mess with all this phase 2 nonsense and I am trying to limit the number of trips I have to make.

Also the DMV is just a PITA

Only a few DMV offices are open and you need to make an appointment (which can be several weeks in the future). You can make an appointment on the DMV website.

Also the DMV is just a PITA

DMV, IRS & USPS- three absolutely necessary bodies who are the most understaffed, draconian and difficult to work with.

go to DMV’s web page many DMV’s are open first come first serve with no appointment needed. Being in Alexandria you probably don’t have a DMV select but if you are willing to drive out you can find one and use that.

I had to re-register/re-tag my C5 vette last month after it sat garaged for a year and a half. I called DMV and they sent me out to the DMV Select in Purcelville VA (west of Leesburg). Got there at 7:00 (opens at 8:00) and was 2nd in line. Outta there by 8:30 so it wasn't too bad. Per 1MOA, check to see what's open near you (many fewer open last month). As with all things DMV, good luck!

I think the hard part is insurance. They kept saying thats not enough numbers in that VIN????

I went to Tripps in Bearyville 30 min after they open and there was 75 people in line last Tuesday. Then realised I don't have the right proof of address.

Last edited:
Today is the last day for purcelville walk ins.. just a heads up for ya in case you wanted to do that.

Too bad. Title won't be here until Monday.
Also they had earliest appointment available being July 6th when I called today around 9:30. So you could call them directly and get an appointment a lot sooner than the August one you have.

They are doing appointment by calling them not thru DMV website.

Don't know if this helps. But here in PA, I can do title transfers at my AAA.

It's worth being a member for that alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom