What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got to drive Big Blue after almost 3 weeks of replacing the timing belt & water pump , chasing down a coolant leak then replacing the drivers side exhaust manifold. The rear most flange was completely separated from the tube. She now sounds less like chitty chitty bang bang. Passenger side manifold needs to be changed as well.
EF655815-09E5-4826-A581-917F32A72D20.jpeg

The Ultragauge does transmission temps?

Yes, but you have to manually add the parameters as an mgauge.

Curious why you chose FRS/GMRS over CB? I'm a ham guy myself, but since getting into 4x4, seems most people out here in S.Utah are running CB. Sweet looking electrical. Would love to read more details!

I grew up using FRS/GMRS and it's simple and effective for what we use it for which is trail communications where we are no larger than a group of 5 vehicles and driving in a convoy. This Midland MX275 is 15 watts and runs off a 1/4 wave antenna that's 6" tall, not a 3'+ whip that I see most CBs use. During the initial testing between two MX275's and a pair of handhelds the sound was crisp and clear throughout the convoy. I will be doing a longer range test in the near future. I have read, but not confirmed myself, that GMRS in its current state is clearer and has more range than CB. $70 for a 10yr license that also works for your immediate family is also not a bad price.

As far as the electrical goes, the battery is an X2Power 27F AGM 92AH battery made by Northstar. I cut the original battery leads and crimped on new ones to utilize the military style terminals. The Blue Sea MRBF fuse hanging off the pos terminal powers the Blue Sea 6 position pos/neg fuse box. The fuse box currently powers both of my HID ballasts, the GMRS radio, and a Blue Sea below deck panel at the rear of the vehicle in the trunk which I have my ARB fridge connected to. The big red switch next to the fuse box is a 350A continuous rated on/off switch that powers my Smittybilt X2O 10k winch.

I got to drive Big Blue after almost 3 weeks of replacing the timing belt & water pump , chasing down a coolant leak then replacing the drivers side exhaust manifold. The rear most flange was completely separated from the tube. She now sounds less like chitty chitty bang bang. Passenger side manifold needs to be changed as well.View attachment 2347212
Any advice on removing and installing the exhaust manifold? I need to install my magnaflow manifold to remedy the CEL code.

I grew up using FRS/GMRS and it's simple and effective for what we use it for which is trail communications where we are no larger than a group of 5 vehicles and driving in a convoy. This Midland MX275 is 15 watts and runs off a 1/4 wave antenna that's 6" tall, not a 3'+ whip that I see most CBs use. During the initial testing between two MX275's and a pair of handhelds the sound was crisp and clear throughout the convoy. I will be doing a longer range test in the near future. I have read, but not confirmed myself, that GMRS in its current state is clearer and has more range than CB. $70 for a 10yr license that also works for your immediate family is also not a bad price.

I run HAM with a 10" solid antenna (compactenna) and I get 15-75 MILES of range. In an emergency I can jump on FRS or GRMS on low power and get through as well. These formats blow CB away by far.

Did a 400 mile loop in one day (yesterday). Three trails along the way. Total of 13 hours driving. We had every intention of camping but whereas two weeks ago we drove somewhere too cold, it was simply too hot to even think about sleeping in a tent. Started in Tecopa, drove to Calico where there is debatable evidence of the earliest signs of human existence. The gate to the site was closed but there was a trail on the map (Mule Canyon Rd) that takes you off road around a California agriculture checkpoint on I-15. Not that I had any need to avoid it but I found it funny that a minor trail lets you avoid it all together
AA309870-1D55-419E-8CE2-2DB01FD17114.jpeg

Then grabbed lunch in Barstow before heading to Randsburg. It’s a tiny mining village frozen in history so to speak. They call it a living ghost town. If you can get there, I found it amazing.
from there we drove to Trona which also blew my mind.Another mining town, Trona is baking soda.....among other things. It is still active with mining but is like a half ghost town. And the landscape—it didn’t feel like America let alone california. Did two trails out of here—Gold Bottom Canyon and Homewood canyon. Very cool drives. Saw desert hare and wild burro. Gold bottom trail took us to about 2000’ feet overlooking the playa, which used to be an ancient lake. So at 2000’ we were at the former beach and the rocks all around were smooth and round from being a t a shoreline. Interesting stuff. Zoom in and you can see the round rocks.
0C8DFFBC-4271-4802-8863-C1218FEB4B3D.jpeg

Then we started on Nadeau’s Shotgun Road, this named for being as straight as a shot out of a gun barrel. Before it gets laser straight-which is a sight to behold-it goes on a road that has a similar feeling to the Schaeffer switchbacks in Moab. Not as long or spectacular but unexpected and very cool.
that’s where we were going to camp but at sunset it was still over 110 degrees and we were at that point only about 2 hours from home anyway so just made the trek back to the air conditioner.
E80A7984-AE74-4A65-BDAD-B3B8F787F3A0.jpeg

6EF8147F-2ADA-4249-834C-58D20D50C314.jpeg

DBF53A81-299E-4435-84B9-633C70E8CBC2.jpeg

I run HAM with a 10" solid antenna (compactenna) and I get 15-75 MILES of range. In an emergency I can jump on FRS or GRMS on low power and get through as well. These formats blow CB away by far.

I've been looking to get a handheld possibly, which one do you run?

I have an old Midland 79-290 and Wilson "Little Wil" magnet mount that barely has enough coax to run it out of the back and stick it in front of the rear roof rack cross bar. I got some of the 3" wide velcro strips and I stick the radio on the driver's side of the tranny hump. Good for highway traveling is about it. Would work on trails for a few miles, too. The only exposed coax is where it exits from under the rear carpet and into the rear door jamb. If anyone were to want to stay as cheap and effective as possible the Little Wil and a Uniden 520 (with a couple pots tweaked) would be the best bang for the buck. You'd be around a $100 bill. Velcro it somewhere so that you could just pull it all out after the ride.

In my Tacoma I run a Uniden 980 that I dash mounted and a Wilson Trucker 3000 on a homemade tailgate mount above the tail light. It does good.

I have been wanting to get into the HAM bands but I don't offroad with anyone that would put the time in to get certified with me. There's enough CB base operators in this redneck haven that even if I was stranded and out of cell tower range I could still make contact with a base and get help as long as I was a few hours drive local.

For those running HAM what is the most popular frequencies on the road? I know a few guys that are commercial driving and run the export radios. They will bounce between 10m and 11m using the same antenna.

Last edited:
You are going to love the ride. Those ADO springs are nice. Paired mine with bilstein front and rear. I got a nice firm ride. Kinda smooth at the same time. I also dealt with Chad.
20200625_153227.jpg

Got it all in.
Love it! The ADO mediums with Bilstein 5100's and SPC uca's work great for the GX. Paired with 285/70/17 BFG KO2's on TRD pro wheels

Where are you storing your spare tire? Does I fit underneath?
Same size spare on matching rim, no doesn't fit under (didn't even try as many have said 33's don't fit) it lays in the back. going to build a platform to cover it and act as a sleeping platform whenever I get around to it, COVID has limited my access to a welder.

Same size spare on matching rim, no doesn't fit under (didn't even try as many have said 33's don't fit) it lays in the back. going to build a platform to cover it and act as a sleeping platform whenever I get around to it, COVID has limited my access to a welder.
Ah. Thanks for the response. 👍🏽 Maybe these can go in there once the space below is open: Offroading | Trailedonline | United States
29E43530-942B-4FCE-8BCD-B0AFB10B74D1.jpeg

I have a 275/70-17 in the spare tire location. It has nearly a 2" smaller OD than your 285/75-17 and likely 1/2"+ narrower counting your side wall bulge.

If you removed the stock tow hitch it could possibly fit but you'd need to winch it up and secure it towards the bumper more.

Are they made to fit 2 or 3 stacked? That’s kind of awesome
As far as I know, they’re able to fit a stack of three correctly/properly/safely. And able to be used for water, fuel and maybe even oil or antifreeze. (Not positive about the last two but wouldn’t doubt it would be ok as well. As long as they are clearly marked by the user and never cross contaminated or used for more than only one type of fluid for the life of the container.) When you open the link, I believe they outline it very clearly on there.

I agree with you. I think it’s awesome as well. I love that it keeps the weight low and center of gravity lower. Unlike other fuel containers that are placed on the bumper or higher or even on the roof. Plus it’s no where near as heavy, expensive or permanent as some auxiliary tank options. It takes a little bit more work but I think it’s well worth the extra little work and a great use of the open space, if your tire is placed elsewhere. These guys really nailed it. 👌🏽👏🏽🙌🏽

I have a 275/70-17 in the spare tire location. It has nearly a 2" smaller OD than your 285/75-17 and likely 1/2"+ narrower counting your side wall bulge.

If you removed the stock tow hitch it could possibly fit but you'd need to winch it up and secure it towards the bumper more.
Honestly not really interested in trying. I don't want to get rid of the hitch (until I get a new rear bumper with one built in) and plan on getting the long range tank anyways which sits in that spot. I don't really haul much s*** around, and when I go camping, less room means less needless s*** my wife can bring LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom