New FJ40 owner in Alexandria (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everything about this has been a little challenging, including getting it out of the garage. I have a guy going over to my parents to winch it out this weekend., and hopefully it will be in VA mid next week. As soon as it is out of the garage, I will get some more photos.

I located the original manuals and tool kits, which were great. Even an old 1987 Man-a-fre catalog was in there.

For those of you in Virginia, what are your thoughts on registering as an antique vehicle? Do you find the restrictions a burden? Is enforcement lax?

Definitely register it as an antique vehicle. Not only will you not pay taxes on it again but you'll get a cool old timey black or yellow plate. Plus no safety or emissions inspection. If by "lax" you mean "no" then yes. Effectively there's no enforcement. I think the language states you can drive to and from events and club meetings or within a 200 mile radius of your house. Regardless, you won't be stopped by the cops for driving your FJ40 with an antique tag. Your '95 80 series Land Cruiser (for example)...maybe, but unlikely.

Also, if you can find an old Virginia plate that was issued in the year your vehicle was made, the DMV will reassign that plate as your antique plate.

Guess I'll be on ebay the rest of the afternoon looking at plates!

Yes, to the antique plate. Did this with my '62 Porsche and it really adds to the character. Tried to with the FJ but didn't look hard enough at the time to register.

I'm also in Alexandria so will have to meet up once you get the vehicle into town...look forward to seeing it.

Definitely register it as an antique vehicle. Not only will you not pay taxes on it again but you'll get a cool old timey black or yellow plate. Plus no safety or emissions inspection. If by "lax" you mean "no" then yes. Effectively there's no enforcement. I think the language states you can drive to and from events and club meetings or within a 200 mile radius of your house. Regardless, you won't be stopped by the cops for driving your FJ40 with an antique tag. Your '95 80 series Land Cruiser (for example)...maybe, but unlikely.
My neighbor has a corvette with antique tags and drove it to work in manassas one morning and got stopped for speeding the officer asked him where he was going and he said work. He wrote him for improper use of antique tags. He found out that a conviction means you can't have antique tags for 5 years from the date of conviction. so make sure when/if you are ever stopped that you are taking it for a repair or a car show or just to keep it exercised.
He ended up getting the antique charge dismissed becuase he said he had to drive it to keep the battery charged.

Just took a look at the MD plates on my '40. My bad, they are "Street Rod", not Hot Rod.

The main difference from being tagged as "Historic" is that Street Rod Tags Must
  1. be 25 model years old or older; and
  2. have been substantially altered from the manufacturer’s original design.
vs. Historic that has not been substantially altered. I think both are unlimited mileage, just restrictions on daily usage.

Ready for pick up...finally!

Will be in Alexandria on Wednesday!

51796.jpeg

Please tell me you are not flat towing that with the pickup in front of it.....

If it was an RR classic, or a disco I or II that's a bit more admirable.
The discovery sport as it is known is a wimpy offering of what used to be. Although i'm sure the AWD is fantastic.
My wife's daily is a RR Sport, soon to be a GX .

I agree with you on the reliability, but that RRS hasn't been a disappointment in sand, snow or mud.

Which iteration of RR Sport? the L320s I understand were very solid aside some electrical issues.
It is a 2015, so an L494. We picked up a preowned full size 5.0 supercharged prior to it, and the supercharger/intake just grenaded out of warranty. It was a disaster, but again awesome in the sand. The one constant has been our little 2010 is250 which has been bulletproof. That and the FJ40 have us switching over to all Toyota/Lexus.

20200524_142805.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom