98 - 100 series 4.7L muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I’m currently working away so can’t measure it but want to replace my 100 series muffler as it’s abit wrecked and I might aswell get some better sound while I’m there.

I have searched high and low through the forum
Along with other forums and emailed Toyota dealers but have found nothing.

Hunting for the stock exhaust diameter for the 100 series 4.7L so I can replace my muffler with a flow master.
If anyone could please help me withis it’s a 3inch or 2.5 that would be very very much appreciated.

Check youtube as there are a couple guys that have documented replacing the stock muffler... Only aftermarket that I know of offhand is Borla exhaust.
Outside of that I am looking at something like either a Flowmaster 50 series or Thrush Welded muffler with custom muffler back. On my previous FJ60 I put a Thrush welded in the stock location with custom muffler back setup that I did. Loved the sound of that, had a nice rumble to it but nothing that was overly droney at highway speed, etc.

thanks for the swift reply, I’ve scoured the YouTube vids but so far I havnt been able to find any info on the diameter of the pipe and the 2 people I asked said they no longer had the cruisers so couldn’t check.

You could get under your rig and look. It’s dual 2 1-4” if not smaller inlet to a single outlet close to 2.5”

You could get under your rig and look. It’s dual 2 1-4” if not smaller inlet to a single outlet close to 2.5”
Was going to say that I believed it was 2.25" or 2.5", definitely 2.5" at the exhaust tip. If you do yourself I would recommend letting her breathe a bit easier and going with an expander or coupling that is 2.5" and then do that to muffler, then 2.5" all the way out.

Saw a video where the muffler was replaced with a 2.5 inch Flow-master 50 series. Looks like 2.5 on both ends

Thanks a lot guys. That was a great help. Unfortunately I’m working away and not with the truck so can’t measure the exhaust.
I’m going to order a 2.5 in 2.5 out and hope for the best. Even if it’s 2.25 I should still be able to fab something up to fit it or if all else fails I’ll take it to an exhaust shop.

Thanks a lot guys. That was a great help. Unfortunately I’m working away and not with the truck so can’t measure the exhaust.
I’m going to order a 2.5 in 2.5 out and hope for the best. Even if it’s 2.25 I should still be able to fab something up to fit it or if all else fails I’ll take it to an exhaust shop.
This is what I used when I built the exhaust for my FJ60, 2.25" to 2.5" coupler. Welded it to the end of the muffler then put an exhaust flange on the smaller end, matched it to the flange on the tubing from the cat and created my own system.

Hey mate I believe you’re the same guy who left a comment on my youtube video today asking the same question. I used a Flowmaster 942552 2.5” center in/offset out. It was still too quiet for my taste so I removed the resonator and now it’s perfect.

Last edited:
Hey mate I believe you’re the same guy who left a comment on my youtube video today asking the same question. I used a Flowmaster 942552 2.5” center in/offset out. It was still too quiet for my taste so I removed the resonator and now it’s perfect.
So I believe that is the Flowmast 50 Series delta flow, not the straight 50 series (which according to their chart is slightly louder).

Just did some more listening online and found a more budget offering from FlowMaster that is a bit on the louder side, the FlowFX. Check it out of you are looking for something that has a bit louder rumble to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom