Removing tailpipe. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody here with some wisdom to share...?
In the middle of replacing the tailpipe assembly on my '97. It won't come out backwards as the flange won't clear between the body and crossmember. That's ok, I can angrily cut it into pieces or move the main muffler aside to get it out forwards, I think. But then, how to reinstall? The resonator would prevent it going in backwards, the flange would probably prevent it going in forwards.
Hope somebody who has done this can chime in. Cheers.

Don't recall how I got the new one in but I did. I did it on the ground but I may have jacked up the frame? Can't remember. But it's doable.

A guy told me that having the right rear wheel off creates enough space to twist the pipe to where the flange will fit through. In my case the problem was in the middle pipe section with the muffler, and I had a time crunch, so I ended up reusing the tailpipe which was far from mint but acceptable condition for a while. So ... I don't know if that info is good, but might be worth a try.

It will come out, no jacking of the body or cutting is needed. Removed many this way. Just undo it and twist. The only piece that requires lifting the frame is the fuel neck filler tube, that's a pain.

Anybody here with some wisdom to share...?
In the middle of replacing the tailpipe assembly on my '97. It won't come out backwards as the flange won't clear between the body and crossmember. That's ok, I can angrily cut it into pieces or move the main muffler aside to get it out forwards, I think. But then, how to reinstall? The resonator would prevent it going in backwards, the flange would probably prevent it going in forwards.
Hope somebody who has done this can chime in. Cheers.
Hi! I know this is a reach this far back but were you successful getting that tailpipe out? I'm in exactly the same situation and have spent way too long with this old tailpipe, twisting and turning, hammering, pulling, yanking, frontwards and back, but it's just hung at the flange. I keep telling myself "they had to put it on at some point, humans did this..." Pretty frustrated. Any guidance would be a big help.

Hi! I know this is a reach this far back but were you successful getting that tailpipe out? I'm in exactly the same situation and have spent way too long with this old tailpipe, twisting and turning, hammering, pulling, yanking, frontwards and back, but it's just hung at the flange. I keep telling myself "they had to put it on at some point, humans did this..." Pretty frustrated. Any guidance would be a big help.

Were you able to get it out? I’m in the same situation right now. Can’t get the flange to slide between the body and the crossmember. Any tips from those who have done it?

Were you able to get it out? I’m in the same situation right now. Can’t get the flange to slide between the body and the crossmember. Any tips from those who have done it?

Was finally able to pull the rear section out at the pictured angle. Had to spray the crossmember with WD40 to reduce friction then I pulled hard while twisting and wiggling. Mine is an turbo diesel though so I’m not sure if the pipes are the same as the gasser

1172445C-5DE7-4AB7-86DB-2A5B99C821FC.jpeg
FF2C8EB6-B49D-46D2-8A6B-45E1DC008378.jpeg

Was finally able to pull the rear section out at the pictured angle. Had to spray the crossmember with WD40 to reduce friction then I pulled hard while twisting and wiggling. Mine is an turbo diesel though so I’m not sure if the pipes are the same as the gasser

View attachment 2330187View attachment 2330194
Great shots. I've waited to collect all the bits from header all the way back. The muffler was in the way the last time I tried this, but now I'll hat pull it all out and try this. The pipe looks just like the one I'm trying to extract. A comment earlier said to get the flange horizontal, but that just makes it more bound. Looks like you are on the wheels, not jacked up in any way. You're giving me hope...Thanks!!

Yeah! I struggled with this for a while - eventually found the magic angle for it to come in/out.
Rear end jacked up (frame, not axle), and Panhard rod removed, might help, maybe even remove LPSV rod from axle attachment? Can't remember the details.

Just did this last week, but I had the truck lifted from the axles till tires cleared ground about two inches. Then removed the rear tires. It was a friction fit and had to wiggle and pull it out. A plastic hamer would easily tap it through the tight spot you're talking about between the floor and the frame.

Great shots. I've waited to collect all the bits from header all the way back. The muffler was in the way the last time I tried this, but now I'll hat pull it all out and try this. The pipe looks just like the one I'm trying to extract. A comment earlier said to get the flange horizontal, but that just makes it more bound. Looks like you are on the wheels, not jacked up in any way. You're giving me hope...Thanks!!

Yup I did it with wheels on the ground. Had to disconnect the LSPV from the axle though. I think it would be much easier with the frame lifted since the panhard was also getting in the way

You folks are giving me hope and some directions to pursue. I spent more than a couple of hours last time and just couldn't figure out how it came out in one piece. But that angle of the flange with the holes horizontal at the pinch point and the comments about lifting the frame, and panhard...humm.. The problem is that there are just too many wrong ways to do it and a very elusive right way... Thanks a bunch for the observations.

My 80 is sitting in the driveway in this exact situation right now. Worked out 50 ways that didn't work, then lost too much light and had to get back inside to help with the kids. Was getting worried I'd have to lift the body off the frame, but it seemed out of character for Mr T to make that kind of mistake.

Thanks for the pictures, going to try and tackle this tomorrow at some point. I have a RHD 1HZ diesel, so I'll update here if the same magic angle works for this model. I'll try and grab a video of it sliding out, or I don't know how I'll figure out the angle to get the new one back in.

Right, so I think these instructions would work on my vehicle, except for the fact that if you have a factory sub-tank like I do, there's an extra metal plate running vertically and a bunch of solenoids and piping that gets in the way. Haven't managed to find an alternative yet.

View attachment 2330187View attachment 2330194
just did mine in my ‘95 1FZ and I used the same angle, thanks!

Since this has been bumped, here's a link to another thread I created showing the eventual solution I had to use to make this work if you have a factory sub-tank:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom