1964 SWB Stretched Fixed Top Cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased the truck in 2012. The truck, along with nine other FJ45's, grew up on a sheep farm in Northern Nevada just outside of Gerlach.

While I love the rear split window configuration of the early fixed cab's, it became evident that the rubber extrusion would need to be replaced and unfortunately could not be found in the 8 years gone by. The split window configuration also came with the dreaded 3+ inch reduced leg room compared to the removable top styles. However, that was a manageable adjustment.

Picture of the truck the day it arrived in Tucson.
IMG_0212.JPG

Despite its appearance the cab and frame were very solid coming from the Black Rock Dessert. I purchased a very nice, very solid removable top SWB bed to accommodate the stretched cab. I also had acquired beautiful early fenders from an AZ grown '63 FJ40.

The build plans were to keep the Truck as close to original looking as possible but making it much more driver friendly. My MO as always it to keep EVERYTHING Toyota.
The drive-train would consist of an internal oiling F.5 with a large sight glass DD40/40 2 barrel carburetor, internally regulated alternator, 3FE power steering pump and an electronic distributor. H55 transmission and split case supported by a late 4X series saddle. 1982 4X series disc front end with FJ60 knuckles out to mate perfectly to 7X series tie rod and relay rod supported by an FJ60 power steering box. The rear end is also out of a 1982 4X series with the single cylinders and e-brake configuration.

I rebuilt the entire wiring harness thanks to Mark aka CoolerMan.

I have many pictures to share illustrating all the modifications that were made in the process of the build. It will be an accelerated thread as I'm very near completing it.

thanks for looking,
-Sean

Much of the framework, sandblasting, painting with POR, relocating rear cab mounts, FJ60 Steering Box install, the transmission saddle etc., went undocumented simply because I did not foresee myself putting together a build thread early on. Hopefully the pictures I have will be self explanatory.

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

The saddle install involved plating the inside frame rails. In addition to the plates, I welded captive nuts on the inner sides of the plates for easy assembly/disassembly. missing hardware was being plated at the time the photos were taken. Every single nut, bolt and MANY other hardware pieces were sandblasted and plated, even if they were destined to be painted.

ECGD6696.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

JJDT9496.JPG

In addition to the transmission hump modifications, a 1" body lift was installed and some simple contouring on the cab supports was necessary. The transmission hump also received new support washers in between the cab floor and the hump to eliminate distortion and allow for a proper seal with a new gasket.

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

AGMB7153.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

Engine work was pretty basic. Other than some brackets here and there, and the carburetor linkage mods its nothing new. Zero miles, rebuilt with ALL Toyota parts I collected over 14+ years. I rebuilt 3 of these engines and all of them ran great. Thanks Rob for 2 of them!

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

Great work and write up as usual Sean! Hope all is well!!

Last edited:
I wanted to keep the body looking original, so none of the spot weld pocks were filled, left original sheet metal warps in, gave it some original "orange peel", blah blah blah. I grafted a later model firewall section in place to allow the power steering and power brakes. Mind you I don't like shiny old cars, let alone shiny old trucks. Interior bed-liner ONLY got applied to the floors. I think it looks messy otherwise, and gives the impression your trying to hide something. Just my personal opinion.

ALFZ8966.JPG

JFQC2694.JPG

MCPL2916.JPG

MGPB3510.JPG

XOMJ3453.JPG

The bed received new corners as well as a complete rear sill. The corners were dented and weren't worth the time to hammer and dolly them because of the early tail light modification and the spare tire mount per an early '64 look. I also backed the corners with 12 gauge plate and welded captive nuts for the spare tire carrier.
the lines came out pretty good with the tailgate!

LNHO8626.JPG

CCUP1158.JPG

TYDV3035.JPG

QIIX6785.JPG

AWVU9089.JPG

I also moved the typical aftermarket heater these trucks received to the middle of the firewall. The side installs always bugged me. Aluminum hard lines were bent up and a bulkhead fitting was tig welded to them for a clean install.

DDQR1695.JPG

PSPF3584.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

What got stretched?

Cab gained a few inches, Rick, if you don’t know what Sean is up to, who will? Hope is is doing well, stand up food dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom