Random chit chat thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still don’t have power. Tomorrow looking a bit warm too. May have to try and find a hotel room.

I should be sleeping, but I'm not, so while it's on my mind, I'm gonna post a question.

Recommendation on places to purchase a car trailer, looking for 7'x18' dual axle open top car trailer, would like to have brakes on all four and not picky on trailer top (wood or steel) price range $2500-$3500. I search and of course anything that I actually find to look at is hours away from me or half way across the country. I'm willing to travel a bit for the right deal.

As some of you may know I like to fish - a lot! I do inshore light tackle fishing around Absecon island mainly for striped bass. This time of year we are getting large schools of baitfish called bunker and they have attracted a rare sea monster to my local waters. Well he messed with the wrong bunker schools and made a mistake. Common Thresher shark. About 12’ weighed in at 253lbs- took me 3 hours to land on 40lb stand up tuna rod- no belt or harness straight up man vs beast. Dispatched him with the help of another fishing buddy who came out in his boat with a harpoon, flying gaff, and 4 rounds of 357magnum. Really good eating, spent the entire day processing shark steaks and distributed to neighbors and friends. Upon hook up the shark went completely airborne an image burned in my memory I will never forget. If anyone is concerned it’s a legal catch that I have permits specifically for. Also, I stalked the shark with my trolling motor in 12’ of water about 100yards off the beach. Yes, people were freaking out when it went fully ballistic missle airborne right off the beach.

F09F9B25-9F62-4C17-A89F-771F777628AC.jpeg

2F2FC688-7F1F-467D-ADBE-19ED860E32DF.jpeg

DB0ADF9A-D32F-48F7-AE8E-88A20DAD2B46.jpeg

Last edited:
As some of you may know I like to fish - a lot! I do inshore light tackle fishing around Absecon island mainly for striped bass. This time of year we are getting large schools of baitfish called bunker and they have attracted a rare sea monster to my local waters. Well he messed with the wrong bunker schools and made a mistake. Common Thresher shark. About 12’ weighed in at 253lbs- took me 3 hours to land on 40lb stand up tuna rod- no belt or harness straight up man vs beast. Dispatched him with the help of another fishing buddy who came out in his boat with a harpoon, flying gaff, and 4 rounds of 357magnum. Really good eating, spent the entire day processing shark steaks and distributed to neighbors and friends. Upon hook up the shark went completely airborne an image burned in my memory I will never forget. If anyone is concerned it’s a legal catch that I have permits specifically for. Also, I stalked the shark with my trolling motor in 12’ of water about 100yards off the beach. Yes, people were freaking out when it went fully ballistic missle airborne right off the beach.

View attachment 2354483

View attachment 2354484

View attachment 2354489
Holy smokes Joe!
Have you caught one before?
Good eating?

These are very cool species of shark and dangerous. The tail is used to whip into schools of bait fish and stun and injure the bait so he can then cruise back through and eat. While I was setting up in the early morning I was unsure if there were any threshers around though I saw one the day before. He let me know by an unprovoked freaking attack on my boat with his tail! Out of knowwhere he gave the side of my boat a b***h slap that scared the crap out of me! The tail will f**k you up if he cracks you.

CAC52E02-7663-4A62-88C5-3DA77DA36BD2.jpeg

Holy smokes Joe!
Have you caught one before?
Good eating?
I have only seen them on rare occasions this will be my first and last thresher- I want no parts of them anymore! Yes they are delicious eating similar to mako or swordfish.

Never had thresher, but would love to. Great catch!

When I was a kid, the family had a 30' Trojan. They would take it out to the canyons August/Sept. One trip they caught a large tiger shark, IIRC, brought it home, and it was terrible.

I got to go on one trip to the canyons before they sold the boat. Beautiful calm weather, probably the only reason I was allowed out. Anyway, it was about an hour before dusk, and we were setting up rods for the night. Four rods down to the bottom, about 600' down. Took a coffee can full of concrete to get the lines down. On top my pop set up a rod with a clorox bottle as a bobber, and a big hunk of bait, and floated it out.

No sooner do we get the four line down does something hit the top line, hard. Let me tell you, pulling up those bottom lines on old Penn enator reels was one hell of a workout for a 12 yo! My pop is fighting the fish on the top line, and clear out of the water jumps a 12' shark! That image will never leave my brain. It fought one hell of a battle, finally diving deep, pulling line like mad. Then the line went slack. My pop thought it got off, but a second or two later it launched straight out of the water not 20 yards from the back of the boat!

So they managed to land it and get it up on the swim platform. They did not know what kind of shark it was, and after the experience with the last shark they brought home, they decided to release it. They were kicking themselves once we got back and discovered what kind of shark it was!

Never had thresher, but would love to. Great catch!

When I was a kid, the family had a 30' Trojan. They would take it out to the canyons August/Sept. One trip they caught a large tiger shark, IIRC, brought it home, and it was terrible.

I got to go on one trip to the canyons before they sold the boat. Beautiful calm weather, probably the only reason I was allowed out. Anyway, it was about an hour before dusk, and we were setting up rods for the night. Four rods down to the bottom, about 600' down. Took a coffee can full of concrete to get the lines down. On top my pop set up a rod with a clorox bottle as a bobber, and a big hunk of bait, and floated it out.

No sooner do we get the four line down does something hit the top line, hard. Let me tell you, pulling up those bottom lines on old Penn enator reels was one hell of a workout for a 12 yo! My pop is fighting the fish on the top line, and clear out of the water jumps a 12' shark! That image will never leave my brain. It fought one hell of a battle, finally diving deep, pulling line like mad. Then the line went slack. My pop thought it got off, but a second or two later it launched straight out of the water not 20 yards from the back of the boat!

So they managed to land it and get it up on the swim platform. They did not know what kind of shark it was, and after the experience with the last shark they brought home, they decided to release it. They were kicking themselves once we got back and discovered what kind of shark it was!

Hell yeah! What was it Pete? Going to the canyons is like going to another planet you never know what you will see out there. Was it a big Mako?

On a separate note- I am down to the final steaks all of it has been given away. I grilled it last night, olive oil, salt and pepper, straight on a hot grill. It came out delicious with a homemade pineapple salsa.

Yes it was a mako.

I'm kind of digging the new 2 door Bronco. Looks like a lot of what the FJC should have been.

I've been reading up on the specs for the new Broncos and it's impressive for a factory off-roader. And they have also process themselves within the same prices for the Wrangler equivalent. I look forward to seeing how they age.

While wishful thinking, it's time for Toyota to step up the game, it was either the Wrangler or a Pro before were your major factory off-roaders. Now the Bronco has entered the ring looking to dominate. It would be nice if Toyota a) added a front locker to the Tacoma and 4Runner Pro series B) have us an updated FJ40 or at least a modern successor with the bells and whistles we are seeing and a removable top. But I'm sure with Toyotas current market strategy we won't see that happen.

Not a boat guy, but I'd like to have this!

B.reak
O.ut
A.nother
T.housand

I know we don’t like Jeeps here but I was really excited when they announced the Gladiator. Then I read the specs, saw the design (just a stretched wrangler) and the price tag and immediately lost interest. Same went for the Chevy Blazer - got excited until I saw it was basically just another boring crossover. I was really expecting the Bronco and Bronco Sport to be just as much of a let down - but to be completely honest - it really looks like they’ve done almost everything right. I even like that the base model sports steel wheels unabashedly. The price point is approachable, the off-road options package Is available all the way down to the base model, and they’ve got a manual transmission option.

Ford has had a bunch of issues with their Getrag manuals in the mustangs and this 7-speed is “only” rated to 400ftlbs of torque so I’m a litttllleee leary of it, but on paper, I’m really, really liking the Bronco.

Naturally I wish I could get a manual with a 2.7L but I realize I’m a Luddite so at this point I’m just happy to see a 3-pedal option holding on at all.

Last edited:
Moving this back from the "Let's Laugh" thread....

I too will probably sit back and watch for a few years. I certainly want to own one at some point.

So many really cool things - revolutionary things! Who else has a modular body? A genuine real effort at market research and innovation - not gimmicky crap like most manufacturers are doing these days.

A vehicle that can actually generate excitement at a reasonable price range! I think this is an instant classic and probably has nearly as interesting of a story behind it as the GT did in Ford vs Ferrari.

I read an interesting article yesterday from Hagerty. If you have ever been involved in product management on any level, it is a good read!
Avoidable Contact #67: Having built some Blazers, I want to make a Bronco | Hagerty Media

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom