Need help removing HDJ80 factory exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I’m trying to install an exhaust system on my HDJ80. Ran into a couple of problems. First, one of the 14mm bolts holding the down pipe bracket to the engine won’t come off. It’s pretty tight so there is now way to use a socket wrench. I’ve already used a flare nut wrench, still won’t budge - the bolt just deformed. I also tried two kinds of vice grips, still won’t budge.
Second problem is I can’t find a way to remove the tail section. I can’t figure out how to “unhook” it from the chassis crossmember. The flange is getting caught up on the crossmember. Any trick to getting it out?

your trying to remove the old one?
cut it off.
i just did this on mine and i cut it

your trying to remove the old one?
cut it off.
i just did this on mine and i cut it

Yes I’m removing the factory exhaust. I’d prefer not to cut it if possible.

Already got the dump pipe off and the new one in. I had to bend the bracket since the stubborn bolt wouldn’t come off. All that’s left to do is get the flange over the corossmember so I can pull the tail section out

AA8E5973-905C-404F-87B0-FF06B92219B5.jpeg
BCCD4328-7BD4-4898-938C-A3C415F44C66.jpeg
1C325F97-322D-4395-A688-379E4998CD99.jpeg

Hey mate, looks good but if I can offer some advice...

Make up some sort of bracket between the gearbox/bellhousing and the exhaust to give it more support.

You have a lot of weight hanging off the turbo in the current setup which really isn’t ideal. Plus if your exhaust hits something (if you take it off-road) you could easily damage the turbo housing.

It’s also a bit hard to tell in that picture, but it looks like an upgraded turbo?? If so, does it have a support bracket in place? I made a bracket to support BOTH bolt holes although even one is better than nothing.

Other than that it looks good and should give good results.

There is a turbo bracket from the turbo to the block, and then a exhaust mount about 2.5 feet from that, god I hope I don’t hit it on anything, it’s about 2 inches higher than the t-case

Okay I got the tail section out at this angle. I sprayed WD40 on the pipe and crossmember to reduce friction then pulled hard while twisting and wiggling at the same time.

Then for the new pipe section, I had to get it over the crossmember from the front side. I got it over from the rear but the rest of the pipe was pointing downwardsand no way to get it over the axle

7087C5C5-7D5F-4300-85C1-BB4231962CB8.jpeg
DC446884-69CF-4F0C-B581-10D83F4036C0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom