Abrasive Blast and Paint Undercarriage? 7 year update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No we didn't do any taping or masking off area. The blaster just went for it and avoided the sensitive spots best as he could. If we weren't so rushed I would have. The rubber boots and lines are flexing fine.

thanks sorensenjg

yah my truck was looking similar to yours. I have some body rot as well but until I plan on getting a body paint job im just going to have to deal with it. Feels nice knowing the under side is all set. Come on down well get you hooked up!

Figure id up date a few quick pics. Coatings are holding strong after a few winters. Still happy with the results.
IMG_5294.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5297.JPG

Ive had a few requests to post some updated pics of the undercarriage paint job I did about 6 years ago so here you go! Just keep in mind this after 5-6 New England winters and salty roads. Over all it looks good but some hard to reach spots are beginning to flake and rust but its holding up to the New England rust belt better than I expected. I see many more years of protection as the previous rust was removed and stopped in its tracks and covered with a good robust coating. The new, Iron Man factory coated yellow, lift coils took a beating so you have a good bench mark to compare.
IMG_5733.JPG
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5737.JPG
IMG_5738.JPG
IMG_5740.JPG

That seems to be holding up very well considering the amount of salt they use up here in New England! Have you used any fluid film or other wool wax product after you had the initial work done?

That seems to be holding up very well considering the amount of salt they use up here in New England! Have you used any fluid film or other wool wax product after you had the initial work done?

I have not but considered doing it. I know the CTDOT plow trucks fluid film their equipment. The salts we use in CT is terrible.

Pretty good after 6 years. Agree, it would likely be in even better shape if followed by one of those oily/waxy coatings.

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm planning on driving my 80 up North this summer (while visiting relatives) to a company that does the full rust-proofing treatment, that type of shop doesn't exist in the Southern US.

Last edited:
Wow.

Whenever I see one of these "look how awesome my freshly painted undercarriage looks" threads, I always assume it will be the same as before, if not worse, within a few years. 6 years later and it still looks pretty damn good. I'm amazed. I might take a road trip to new england this summer :hillbilly:

Yah next thing I have to get at is the body rust in a few typical spots. The rear bumper cross frame, the holes rusted through finally. Its nice to finally get to the cosmetic phase of my truck build. Been a few years coming like 10+ to get to the body and paint stage.

Curious how this looks today. Looked pretty nice in summer of 2014.
Ill try and wash it this time and update with some pics. It is starting to show it true age again. The truck sits out side year round so that doesnt help mush either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom