What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hardtop sides are in place, I also have the AC install almost wrapped up.

6D8E4653-B101-4D4D-850E-4BB284E20575.jpeg

I haven't been out in the work garage for a day or two so went out to say hi to my FJ40.
I have been getting about 4 weeks to the gallon lately but when I have taken the 40 I hear slight constant clack on #5 valve.
Decided to go ahead and pull all the push rods for clean and inspection.
They all looked good so put them all back in.
I tired out by four o'clock so will adjust and button up tomorrow.
Sure hope that takes care of everything as I really don't want to have to R&R the lifters.

I haven't been out in the work garage for a day or two so went out to say hi to my FJ40.
I have been getting about 4 weeks to the gallon lately but when I have taken the 40 I hear slight constant clack on #5 valve.
Decided to go ahead and pull all the push rods for clean and inspection.
They all looked good so put them all back in.
I tired out by four o'clock so will adjust and button up tomorrow.
Sure hope that takes care of everything as I really don't want to have to R&R the lifters.
I got rid of my click by reducing valve lash by .003". It is wear on the rocker arm shaft that was moving the rocker arm. The oiler hole leaves a groove on the underside, and if the rocker arm walks up on the groove, it will cause a click, so you might just dress up the rocker arm shaft, but I chose not to go that route on mine. Or, so that is my understanding, based on my observation.

I got rid of my click by reducing valve lash by .003". It is wear on the rocker arm shaft that was moving the rocker arm. The oiler hole leaves a groove on the underside, and if the rocker arm walks up on the groove, it will cause a click, so you might just dress up the rocker arm shaft, but I chose not to go that route on mine. Or, so that is my understanding, based on my observation.

I am working on a 350 but will give everything a closer look before I start adjusting.
I wanted to inspect the push rods because of a problem that occured many years ago with a 55 Chevy PU with high mileage 283.
It was 1970 and I had been married seven months and out of the navy only one month when my wife gets word from her sister that she was in an abusive marriage and could someone come and get her and her daughters.
The catch was the sis was in Mo. and we was in CA.
My brother in law and I jump in my truck and head east.
A lot happened during that trip but I will just tell about the push rod part.
We was almost through Az. when the clacking started so I right away pull over and tighten down the offensive valve.
I have always been mechanically inclined but at that point in time I really didn't know much about car engines but could figure out that it was a loose valve adjustment.
A few miles down the road the clack starts again so I pull over and crank the rocker down some more only to have it start clacking again in a few miles.
This time I pull the push rod out and find that the end of it is collapsing making it shorter.
So there we were just inside NM limping down the road on seven cylinders when I spy a 60 Chevy wagon that looked just like the wagon my ailing engine came out of sitting among some other junk cars.
I pull of the highway down to an old run down house and and walk up to what looked like the entrance to the kitchen.
Through the window in the door I could see a wrinkled old lady puttering around that looked up when I knocked.
She looked up and before I could state my business she shouted GO AWAY!
As I tried to explain a man in a wife beater that looked twice as old as the woman came in and said something as he reached behind a cabinet.
I didn't hear what he said but the side by side pointing at me got the message across.
Skedaddled out of there and made it to a town where there was garage and told the guy there what I needed.
I also told him the story I just related here and he had a good laugh.
He then took me into a room where he had bins of push rods and gave me a hand full of them but wouldn't accept any payment.
I guess the story was payment enough.

Got back into knobcraft...
Invested some capital into a proper sla printer for super fine detail and production quality samples.
Also spent time on a redesign of the knobs.
Similar but much cleaner.
Going through test prints now. Should have first prototype tomorrow.

20200527_225708.jpg

20200527_231054.jpg

Last edited:
Restored a 3rd Gen. Hazard Switch ......​

DSCN2764.JPG
DSCN2767.JPG
DSCN2772.JPG
DSCN2774.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom