Builds Fly By Night (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't commented much, but I've been following your great work on a regular basis!

This worked for me for my entire build and lack of garage. I did all of my prep and paint work in this cheap Harbor Freight car port.
View attachment 2318346

Mark! Thanks for chiming in man!👍
Been thinking about buying or building something similar for when spraying the body color, and then to park in when it’s all together.

Mark! Thanks for chiming in man!👍
Been thinking about buying or building something similar for when spraying the body color, and then to park in when it’s all together.
It made for a tight spray booth, but definitely doable. I lined the inside with foil backed duct wrap, which kept it warm enough to work in the winter with a space heater. I think it was a 10' x 30' carport.

Wow I am learning a bunch on how to answer the questions from my wife from all of you! Although she stopped asking how much the latest part costs, rather her new question is “Why would you order another part when you haven’t even put on the other two dozen you already have?” She says this as she actually points to the 24 parts and assorted boxes in my office. I only answer with a slight shrug as I am busy ordering another part.

Been quiet in here this weekend except for the inevitable bump @PabloCruise gives Saturday morning, so I’ll give an update on what’s going on with my train wreck.

Decided to turn attention to finalizing the seat mounting. Way back on page 3, I constructed a Jungle Jim of angle iron to mount the two PT Cruiser seats mocked to look like a factory bench mount since I just removed them. A year and a half later, I don’t care for the Jungle Jim, so it’s on to plan B. Funny how letting ideas ferment tends to lead to better ideas. Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.
Decided to build two independent seat mounts that bolt to the floor and can be removable, upgradeable, you know, down the line. Since at least two of the original front seatbelt bolt holes became obsolete, the decision was made to remove the two pedestal mounts I welded in, and utilize the seatbelt bolt holes as holes for the rear seat mounts. Front holes would have to be cut, much to the chagrin of purists in the ranks, so decided to try to do them with a hint of flavor. 12mm x 1.5 Captured nuts were welded to some 1-1/2” stamped channel and “Scrapdaddy” wire-fished through the front underside tub ribs and plug-welded to their new homes. Rear seatbelt mount holes (factory captured nuts) were drilled and re-tapped to 12mm x1.5.
The inside front passenger was more of a procedure. A factory hole in the underside rib already existed in an area close in proximity to where a bucket seat foot mount would exist. But the topside required a portion of the oddball factory floorpan to be flattened and walled up for reinforcement.
All done now.

EDE393BE-3260-4400-B442-ED9153C1443C.jpeg

A3959329-FD7B-43A3-9E55-C14665313962.jpeg

55612F13-904C-4415-B784-F693E3425555.jpeg

56519320-6A40-407D-973A-8F98D376F6F6.jpeg

Lots of first class fab work. Anxious to see how it turns out. But also glad installing the F150 captains chairs in my Pig only took bolting two 18” pieces of 2” angle to the floor on either side of the hump and a little minor trimming on the outside of the Ford seat frame to fit it on the OEM pedestal. Took about an hour all in.

Been quiet in here this weekend except for the inevitable bump @PabloCruise gives Saturday morning, so I’ll give an update on what’s going on with my train wreck.

I've got to get out to the garage and start 🔧 on the daily, so only a little Sunday reading for me today. Wanted to make sure I stopped in here doe...

Thanks guys - onto making the pedestals.

Built the upper portion of the mount that the driver seat bolts to. Need to center it, get the height and angle for the legs and feet and go from there.

View attachment 2326914

What seats are you going with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom