Recall! Harbor Freight Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I know this is wrong but ...

E08FAFEF-A6B5-48A8-B6E5-88182AE2A9ED.jpeg

I have to say that the folks who work at my local HF store in town are super helpful. The automotive stores are more of a challenge to get something, that, and I don't know if I would have anymore confidence in the product. It is easy to point at the cheapness of the locally purchased product, but, there is a kind of underlying evilness of the steady transition to almost-all-online shopping that is becoming more the norm.

@KY Longhunter
Haha thats funny... Definitely read that in thier respective voices..

I returned mine today.. got a $43 gift card.. ill let it go for $40.

I assume you were given the option cash or gift card?

regards

Dave

Gift card only for me.. i did not have a receipt if that matters..

I just thought it was wrong, it makes you spend the 'gift' at HF right? So they mitigate losses. It should be a cash refund and then perhaps a gift card to cover your out of pocket expenses.

regards

Dave

I just thought it was wrong, it makes you spend the 'gift' at HF right? So they mitigate losses. It should be a cash refund and then perhaps a gift card to cover your out of pocket expenses.

regards

Dave

I feel the same way.. it should be a cash refund. If i paid a lot for those it would be different.

I had the 6 ton recall jack stands. I haven't returned them yet, but I will get around to it. I appreciate the alert for the recall.

For anyone in the market for new jack stands, I did buy replacement jack stands from Amazon. If anyone is interested, the link is below. It is not an affiliate link. They were only ~$45 shipped for me. They are AWESOME. The HF jack stands always made me a bit nervous because there was some wobble of the extension arm in the neck of the base plate. I just wrongly assumed that this was normal. The new jack stands allow for no wobble of the extension arm at all. It is a very snug fit. The teeth in the extension arm are also much deeper than the HF ones were. This allows for a much better engagement of the lock. My favorite part is that there is a secondary locking pin incorporated in the design. With the pin in place, I believe that it is close to impossible for the jack stand to collapse down. If you are in the market for jack stands, I highly recommend the linked model. The only downside I found is that the paint was damaged a bit from the poor packaging in the box. This doesn't bother me though as this is a tool. I just need it to work as intended. The model is the Pro-Lift T-6906D

Amazon product ASIN B074R17GL4

I had the 6 ton recall jack stands. I haven't returned them yet, but I will get around to it. I appreciate the alert for the recall.

For anyone in the market for new jack stands, I did buy replacement jack stands from Amazon. If anyone is interested, the link is below. It is not an affiliate link. They were only ~$45 shipped for me. They are AWESOME. The HF jack stands always made me a bit nervous because there was some wobble of the extension arm in the neck of the base plate. I just wrongly assumed that this was normal. The new jack stands allow for no wobble of the extension arm at all. It is a very snug fit. The teeth in the extension arm are also much deeper than the HF ones were. This allows for a much better engagement of the lock. My favorite part is that there is a secondary locking pin incorporated in the design. With the pin in place, I believe that it is close to impossible for the jack stand to collapse down. If you are in the market for jack stands, I highly recommend the linked model. The only downside I found is that the paint was damaged a bit from the poor packaging in the box. This doesn't bother me though as this is a tool. I just need it to work as intended. The model is the Pro-Lift T-6906D

Amazon product ASIN B074R17GL4
Those don’t look like a terrible option for a cruiser, but I’d not trust them with 6 tons. For a couple bucks more the 6 ton stands I bought locally look like they’d hold twice the weight.

Ive found that Amazon doesn’t always have the best prices... Amazon wanted $50 for a genuine Husqvarna Replacement chain and $25 for an aftermarket. The local Husqvarna dealer (out in the boondocks) sold me a genuine one for $25 taxes in.

Those don’t look like a terrible option for a cruiser, but I’d not trust them with 6 tons. For a couple bucks more the 6 ton stands I bought locally look like they’d hold twice the weight.

Ive found that Amazon doesn’t always have the best prices... Amazon wanted $50 for a genuine Husqvarna Replacement chain and $25 for an aftermarket. The local Husqvarna dealer (out in the boondocks) sold me a genuine one for $25 taxes in.

I am glad that you were able to find another option. Unfortunately, you haven't offered any model number for the floor jacks that you bought. I was seeking to provide an option for people who need replacements for the recalled HF model to work on their Cruiser. As you said, the model I posted will work well enough. I don't work on anything bigger than my 100 so I wouldn't need something that is heavier to hold more weight.

Given that the HF jack stands are about the same price as these, I doubt it will be possible to buy new for much less. After the HF recall, my biggest requirement for purchase was a locking pin. I was willing to pay more, but many of the $200 American made jack stands still didn't offer a locking pin. As a result, I went with the above linked jacks. I would do so again if I was still looking. I have no doubt that they will safely hold my 7500lb 100 and thanks to the locking pin will never collapse.

$46 for delivered double locking 6 tons is a good price. The pic does make it look like the base is pretty thin metal, though. How thick is it, if you know?

$46 for delivered double locking 6 tons is a good price. The pic does make it look like the base is pretty thin metal, though. How thick is it, if you know?

I am headed to my garage today. I will take a pic comparing the Pro Lifts to the old HF jacks that I have. Most people probably still have the HF jacks around to compare to. I also just ordered a digital caliper and I will measure them both when it arrives.

I've just had a gut full of this race to the bottom mentality. Everyone keeps making stuff cheaper and cheaper and the only way to make it cheaper is to cut wages, materials and safety.
The only way this stuff can be made so cheap is to do it in some f*** hole country that treats their workers like slaves, has zero safety standards and has zero environmental protections and pollutes the hell out of the joint.
The amount of waste and pollution that goes into this stuff is mind boggling.
Its dug up as iron ore in Australia, shipped by train and truck to the docks in Western Australia. Shipped half way across the world to China, turned into steel then freighted to wherever their manufacturing area is and pay some guys a bowl of rice to make this stuff, and if they get hurt or killed in the process then who gives a s*** coz there is another billion of them waiting to fill their position. Its then sent back to the docks then shipped all over the world, where its unloaded and trucked all around the country. To be sold for next to nothing then fail a few years later and thrown in the bin. Then the whole process starts all over and you buy another set.

We're destroying the place flooding it with cheap throwaway crap. I'm just using jack stands as an example but it can be said the same about just about anything. Stuff was built to last, whether it was a fridge or washing machine, the old ones were bullet proof. Now your lucky to get 5 years out of it and we just accept that as normal.
We all own and work on Landcruisers so most of us have an understanding of quality, 40 series landcruisers are still being driven and they are still repairable nearly 50 years on. I dont think we'll be seeing many Kia's, Hyundai's or Great Walls making it to 50.

Ok rant over. I think this Covid stuff and the Chinese government always acting like a bunch of assholes has made me think more about how all this stuff works and I'm sick of supporting them and their cheap s***.

Returned the jack stands in question to Harbor Freight. With the refund I got these 3 Ton Stands from Oreilly. They cost three times as much. But I guess I had to ask myself how much my life and health was worth. Lesson learned.

I agree with most of what you’re saying. But to blame the Chinese is to ignore who ultimately bears the blame...ourselves.

Surely the Chinese ( I mean the Govt and business leaders, not the everyday average Chinese person) are despicable in their callous efforts to spread inferior and unsafe crap throughout the world. Not to mention the intellectual property theft and blackmail. But guess what... if we didn’t buy it, they wouldn’t make it. As simple as that.

Americans want it ALL. And we want it ALL for nothing. The price is eventually paid in other ways. But “hey! you got that new doo-dad that you otherwise couldn‘t have rightly afforded. So it’s all good, right? Right?

The price paid is either you maybe get crushed under your truck when your cheap jack stand fails. Or maybe it’s that we all contributed to raising a tiger, feeding it very very well for 40 years and then having to deal with it when it’s no longer interested in being our pet.

This is not politics, it’s economics and we sold ourselves out for iPhones and toys with lead paint on them and jackstands that are more prone to failure than they otherwise might be.

I’m not against capitalism... I love it, most of the time. But things like this are ultimately OUR fault.

Buy American when you can. If you can’t then German, or Japanese. Or Taiwanese... let it at least be an ally. And if you can’t afford those options then maybe we all need to start being ok without having it all.

image.jpg

Mst..., since you are making important points, it may be worth noting that some Hein-Werner stands proudly show "Made in the USA" on their web site but not the 3 and 6 tons which are "Assembled in the USA with US and global components" IIRC what I saw. That can mean pretty much anything. Also interesting is that the brand is owned by a *Shinn Fu* company apparently. Goes to show ya where things stand. :) Of course, at the end of the day it's the QC that matters regardless of where the parts are from.

I was disappointed to see that Hein-Werner is now owned by a company with a name like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom