75 and 79 Series Pickup Discussion and Importation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True. Downfall for our roads are the ruts and washouts that my dad scrapes the s*** out of his long ass Ford's underbelly. I think the biggest advantage to a longer wheelbase in a truck is payload.

The kind of wheeling we do out here, LWB is best. Makes a huge difference in Moab for example.

Last weekend on our club trip the FJ40 got kind of sketchy on some steep descents.

Cheers

I think the MWB is the best overall now that I have owned an example of each (except for pickup and troopy) followed by the SWB when it comes to daily driving. It is a close tie though between SWB and MWB. Just my two cents.

The kind of wheeling we do out here, LWB is best. Makes a huge difference in Moab for example.

Last weekend on our club trip the FJ40 got kind of sketchy on some steep descents.

Cheers
Definetly. In my Jeep days Pritchett was damn near impossible without length.

I've owned a BJ71, BJ74, LJ78, and a HZJ77 but comparing off-road prowess could add another 20 pages to this thread.
The only thing I can with certainty is the fact that a lightly loaded 75 or 79 Series Ute in an off-road environment will beat you senseless. :)

I've owned a BJ71, BJ74, LJ78, and a HZJ77 but comparing off-road prowess could add another 20 pages to this thread.
The only thing I can with certainty is the fact that a lightly loaded 75 or 79 Series Ute in an off-road environment will beat you senseless. :)

Not when you have 4 coils :)

Hahahahaha....for sure. I can't tote around big machine guns in my truck without filling up my air bag helper springs :(
If it doesn't hurt a little were you really enjoying yourself? :lol:

The 75 to 79 series transition upgraded to front coil springs and the optional 1HZ motor? Any other significant design changes? H150/151?

Sort of back on topic. In most markets once the coil front end happened the 1HZ went to the R151 transmission. As where with the 75 series most markets with the 1HZ got the H55.

One of the most economical ways to build a pickup without paying the chicken tax would be to import a 77 series. High milage ones from Japan are not that expensive or ones that have spent a few winters in Canada seem to be dropping in price quite a bit. A lot of usable parts would already be provided for the build! If you wanted a 4 door truck cut the 77 series behind the second row doors and use the back of the cab from an imported parts truck to complete the cab. If you wanted the the newer front clip, widen the front fender mounts on the straight tube as indicated in the photo. Want coil suspension take the parts circled in the photo from an 80 and add it to the 77 frame and make control arm brackets or purchase some. An 80's coil and shock mount are pretty much the same as used on the early 79 series. If the 77 series had a 1HZ those are the same engine mounts you would need for a 1HDT already on the frame. And at the end of the day you would have a 70 series titled as a 70 series with no chicken tax. One other great thing about the 70 series is that they have a lot of straight sections of frame so if you wanted to lengthen a frame for a long bed or bigger ute tray, not a lot of crap in the way to get the job done.

IMG_8350.JPG
IMG_8351.JPG

I agree with eco as a 77 donor or 75 troopie would be better donor for 79 sheet metal than most others.

coil front ends have to wait til 1998 models

rear springs can be converted to parabolics for ride.

Do you want a truck that you can drive now or soon vs one you can drive after an extensive build?

I have pretty much settled on trying to find a clean, rust-free 75 series from the Middle East. Gasser or diesel. Preferably with H55F and dual tanks. I'll swap a 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT in if it's a gasser.

There was a FZJ75 for sale in classifieds, but no response from seller. It may have already sold on Ebay. It was less than 25 years old.

I have pretty much settled on trying to find a clean, rust-free 75 series from the Middle East. Gasser or diesel. Preferably with H55F and dual tanks. I'll swap a 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT in if it's a gasser.

There was a FZJ75 for sale in classifieds, but no response from seller. It may have already sold on Ebay. It was less than 25 years old.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Can't go wrong with a 75 Series.

Interesting

Maybe I'm crazy, but $39k seems low. I guess that "starting at $39K" is pretty vague in what you actually get. I suppose this is one way to get a 79 in the US.
Thats half the price of a new one in Aus and has a coil re end ,guys are paying 20k just for a coil rear end conversion.

Thats half the price of a new one in Aus and has a coil re end ,guys are paying 20k just for a coil rear end conversion.
You probably see more Ute's on a daily trip to a grocery store than we will in a lifetime.

Bah! Soft leaves and super nice shocks. All good. For weight, air bags.

I am not a fan of leaf packs with 9,10,12 or more springs. Unless they are Deavers. ;)

Cheers

I think you’ll have a hard time finding a Middle East 75 with diesel. Typical would be 1FZ-F with H150F. Which, by the way, has more power than you really need. It’s also very difficult to find them in good condition or with heat. Many have AC with no heat. Quite a few have neither. It’s not impossible though as I found one in good condition but most of them are pretty beat up if they’re 25 years old. Good luck with the search.

Here ya go:

Spendy, but looks nice. Already has the 1HZ, reasonable miles, and lots of recent work. Probably be north of $40k by the time you get it home, with the chicken tax and all. Legal to import as of June this year.

I know people who can make it happen if you wanna fork over the dough.

Here ya go:

Spendy, but looks nice. Already has the 1HZ, reasonable miles, and lots of recent work. Probably be north of $40k by the time you get it home, with the chicken tax and all. Legal to import as of June this year.

I know people who can make it happen if you wanna fork over the dough.

And I think it probably won't even be for sale that long looking at the latest trend in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom