New Member in NH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I didn't see a new member forum so I figured I'd post here. Last week I took delivery of my new Toy. It's a '92 FJ80 with only 38K showing on the odometer and was backed up by car fax. It's obviously been sitting so I'm setting out to find all the hidden issues, but right now it seems to be running pretty decent. Other then the ARB winchless bumper it is pretty much stock, so at least I get to create my own issues and not fix someone else's. It will be fun getting first crack on an unmolested vehicle for once.

jt3fj80w5n0046168-3.jpg

The first modification will be a 3"-4" lift so I can fit 35"-37" tires under it. I'm still reading through the many threads trying to figure out the best way to do it, advise is always welcome, as I'd like to get it right the first time. And needless to say with the all the spring options it can get a little confusing.

Then a rear bumper w/swing arms so I can get the spare out from underneath it. Re-gear and install some lockers, and finally a winch bumper to mount a winch up front. Then if I have any money left we'll see where things go. But I'm hoping to be able to to get it out in the woods to start doing some serious trails by August.

A little about me, I currently live in SW New Hampshire but travel all over (if we are allowed to again) as an Environmental Contractor (I clean up dirt). I've been out of 4-wheeling for the better part of 20 years now, due to life and family. But now that I'm divorced and the kids are almost all out of the house it's time to get back in the game. Back in the 90's I worked for a small shop in SoCal called Conejo Off Road (I think 4 Wheel Parts bought them out) where I specialized in mostly Jeeps and Broncos but we did see a few Land Cruisers once and a while and I had a few that made me fall in love with them, just never found the right one to buy. I did a lot of fabrication and custom work as well as the bolt on kits. I've also raced the the Baja 1000, as well as spent weeks at a time wondering around the Baja Peninsula as well as a large part of California.

Welcome. That’s a sharp looking stocker there. :flipoff2:

What’s the over all goal or end use?
I can’t knock 3.5-4” and 37s as I’ve run it for years but under 2.5” is way simpler (cheaper too) and you can fit a 315 or 255 easy and keep some streetability at less cost. Given the 3fe i Would be inclined to aim straight for 4.88 and 255’s for tall and skinny and some gears for backup.

If going taller I’d be looking at

slinky HD at mill creek automotive

Or Slee 4” at sleeoffroad

Think about your final weight and use and purchase accordingly.

Wow, only 38k miles, did I read that correctly? You have quite a rarity on your hands if so. Personally, given the low miles I’d keep it in close to stock form and find a less valuable LC to wheel.
Welcome! :flipoff2:

Welcome, there is no new member forum, so you're in the right spot!

If you haven't check out the FAQ section, and specifically look for base-lining your rig. At 38K, it is a rarity in deed. There are members her with 10x that. Mine has 320K.

Thanks for the welcome guys :flipoff2: . Luckily this is a weekend driver as I regularly have a work truck or a rental car for my job. So this affords me a pretty good budget to complete this project. I still want it streetable as I like to wander, and New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont have lots of places you can get lost going to without even really getting to far off the pavement. So that's sort of why I'm leaning towards a 35" tire. I was thinking maybe 285/75R18s to help keep the weight down some due to the engine. But still want a flexible enough suspension be be able to to do some moderate rock crawling. Not looking to make a full on rock buggy out of it. I guess I'm not sure how much of a lift I need to clear those.Will those work with one of the 2.5" lifts.

38K was a surprise, I wouldn't have believed it but the last mileage reported by car fax was 31K, I was hoping to find something with just limited rust. The only rust issues on this seems to be the brake/fuel/tranny lines, no surprise there. And a little around one of the rear window seals, so I will likely pull the back glass all out and fix and seal those problem areas. Not sure I've ever been one that was good at preserving things, always liked vehicles, and getting them to their full potential and eliminating all those pesky compromises the factory makes.

if the rest of the vehicle is in good shape, with that low of mileage, I would keep it stock. Fix the issues. If you want something more offroad / beatable, you should be able to sell this one at a premium if everything is in good shape.

The FJ80 really are pretty underpowered for 35-37" tires. Fix up this one, sell it, and get a FZJ80. Would probably fit your needs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom