What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Restored original grill, new genuine bumper.

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6671.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

Next for restored is rear bumper.

I picked up a clean FJ62 a few months ago from my buddy @bottombracket. He missed it so much he bought another one yesterday. But I digress.

The interior on this truck is very minty. I mean look at these seats!

07232C3B-FCF9-4815-9679-A93751550B91.jpeg
6D02DBF9-4B97-4E12-82AE-096F5DE9E096.jpeg

The only problem is I actually want to drive this thing around and not be worried about the exceptional OEM seats. They also are terrible to sit in for longer than 15 minutes. I’ve got three other trucks with Scheelmann seats in them so I thought might as well get a set for this truck too. And I have really been wanting to get the plaid Mercedes Rodeo cloth inserts.

These are the Touring model and I got most of the upgrades other than heated seats. It doesn’t get that cold in Florida. Plus, all three of my other Scheelmann‘s have heat but I never hooked it up. Here is a side by side comparison of the Touring model with the factory seat. They are a little taller and a little longer. Should be a really nice fit in the truck.

Note: I do not have the headrest or arm support installed yet. They are easier to do once you get the seat in the truck. These m#therf*ckers are not light.

99273F6B-87C0-459A-879B-6679A5429335.jpeg

My brackets are set for delivery on Monday. I went ahead and got the slides installed on the new seats and should be able to have them in the truck within a half hour of delivery.

Man, sometimes you have to realize that this is a very small world we live in. I really missed the red FJ62 I sold to @jmlockwood....so every couple of weeks I search the local Craigslist for no good reason.

The very first hit was a truck that I knew.

Seven years ago, I was just searching for my first Land Cruiser. I drove this very FJ62 that @Stridertexas was selling. This was the very first Land Cruiser I had ever driven in my entire life. I couldn’t it afford at the time, and he ended up selling it to @Dangler (I think).

@Stridertexas himself bought it back two years later, and has had it for the past four. We have become friends and see each other at local Cruiser meetups. He has taken absolutely amazing care of it.

Anyway, he decided to sell the 62, and I found it the next day on craigslist.

I brought it home last night...page through the 10 years of old receipts a d find that my good friend @greenbeast owned it before @Stridertexas!

What a small world.

63F39DC2-EC1D-4A90-90FD-2187A66D1F95.jpeg
36B4FF64-B9B7-45C8-A660-888FC29329F5.jpeg
8185E05F-1108-4E76-B8BA-D30841CC66FE.jpeg

A little tranny maintenance today on my 62. Dropped the pan, new kick down cable, the old one was getting sticky, new screen filter, and a good old Rodney flush. Refilled with Schaeffers All Trans Supreme. OMG what a difference! It's like a brand new tranny, it shifts so smooth and so perfect. I've been planning an H55F swap but that's on hold now this thing is just working so well. I was a little intimidated about doing this, especially swapping the cable but it was a piece of cake, no need to pull the valve body at all.

IMG_20200516_123707.jpg

IMG_20200516_142355.jpg

IMG_20200516_123640.jpg

IMG_20200516_120351.jpg

Wrapped up project quarantine with a new oil pan and gasket. This after getting my vacuum advance working with HAC and new engine bay fuel lines with new fuel filter. I used the @Poser method for the gasket along with freeing the original oil pan using the factory Toyota jack. Worked perfectly. I couldn't get the final oil pan bolt to thread in. Was getting pissed so my wife decided to lend a hand. After struggling to get the bolt in for over an hour, she got it threaded in in about 10 minutes. Saved the day for sure.

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

Used her to get away and then.....first crank of the morning the starter slows down and then click, click.
A few more clicks and it starts cranking again. The rest of the weekend I only parked on a steep downhill but never another problem. Now I’m trying to decide between the Amazon starter and OEM
4B3F801E-415A-48AF-8AB7-CD5FD789B23D.jpeg

Used her to get away and then.....first crank of the morning the starter slows down and then click, click.
A few more clicks and it starts cranking again. The rest of the weekend I only parked on a steep downhill but never another problem. Now I’m trying to decide between the Amazon starter and OEMView attachment 2310379
Yep, I was lucky years ago when a friend and I had my '84 FJ60 out in a remote section of the Caja del Rio west of Santa Fe. Dead battery but pointed downhill. No need to push, which is a plus.

So u are good for 5 years? Do you just have to do emmisions every year then?
So a bit of confusion I guess, I’m still not clear on it. I got my 5 year sticker today. On the registration, it says emissions expires next year. Going to the 5 year registration tab on AZ DOT website, it says vehicles that qualify for the 5 year registration don’t need to be emissions tested during that 5 year period. The site clearly states my vehicle doesn’t apply for 5 year registration, but they gave me the option and sent me the sticker, lol. I have no idea if it needs to be emissions tested yearly or not.

Began assembling again, the right way this time. Lint free cloths, closed up garage, bottle of red goo, dial gauge, tube of fipg, smiles, music.

FC6BD794-862D-4CED-9B39-9CF94ACE57DE.jpeg

A49A168D-0CE2-4EF7-8F87-9C172530DD02.jpeg

2F2925F6-B315-44FD-A1F1-787C72D0836B.jpeg

9C85F460-AC53-4170-97C6-FB26DE8739D8.jpeg

doing the right of passage for a 60 owner and rebuilding the knuckles,
what a long dirty job but do it once do it right

anyway spindle has a ridge in it, looks like I need a new one

any opinions welcome, just wanna know if I need to order a new one or "she'll be right"

IMG_7702.jpg

doing the right of passage for a 60 owner and rebuilding the knuckles,
what a long dirty job but do it once do it right

anyway spindle has a ridge in it, looks like I need a new one

any opinions welcome, just wanna know if I need to order a new one or "she'll be right"

View attachment 2311508

I'd run that

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom