Has anyone put a Cummins 2.8 in an LJ78 yet? I sure would love to! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been waiting for two years to get my LJ78 back on the road. I've wanted to get a Cummins 2.8 crate engine swapped into it but am wondering if there are the parts needed for the swap available yet?

It's on my list to do, but it will require effectively doubling my investment in the vehicle. Not quite ready to raid the retirement fund yet.

All of the parts are available. My understanding is that a Jeep AW4 transmission bell housing will help you mate the engine to your A343f transmission and the Cummins ECU is capable of controlling it.

I even talked with Tor Slinning of Torfab about the job. He says he doesn't think the A343f is up to the job of handling the torque from the Cummins engine (Cummins has about 1.5 times the torque of a 2L-TE). He recommends one of an array of newer 8 speed truck transmissions, but it sounds like the modifications necessary to make that work would amplify costs significantly. So it's maybe not just a simple swap.

You guys have probably seen this already. Putting the 2.8 cummins in an LJ would probably be a pretty similar process. Builds - Cummins R2.8 in 2nd gen 4Runner

Some of the A343 transmission variants were behind the 2UZFE 4.7l motor that makes similar torque to the R2.8. I think the LJ version has fewer disks and such, so maybe not as strong. A number of 1KZTE's have been tuned up to over 300ft/lb torque and been fine with the A343f in the KZJ78 though? So maybe it would be ok.

Going manual transmission might be the best option though...

Yeah, I read through that thread. There's plenty of good information there, though it's worrying that it took a Cummins engineer a couple of years to complete the swap.

I'm with you, the A343x doesn't have a reputation as a fragile transmission. I believe I've read somewhere that heavy duty torque converters are available for it. I'd try to go that route before swapping transmissions. I'd love to do a manual, but my wife wouldn't drive it.

In my case, there's probably no way I'd be able to do the work myself. I just don't have that kind of time or skill set. I'd have to farm it out to someone like Torfab and they might not warranty the finished product if they thought the stock transmission wasn't up to the job.

I could have swore I saw a kit to mount the h55f to the 2.8 but you needed a gas input shaft or some s*** like that. I'll have to look around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom