1HDT HDJ81 Misfire (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the timing marks on the inj pump to timing gear flange aligned?

What is the proper Copper Washer thickness for these injectors?

hth's
gb

Since I do not have the ACSD on my pump is the plunger stroke the same as the 99+HZ w/ no ACSD with my 1HDT?

No.

Ona 1HDT the timing doesn’t change with a ACSD or not. An extra step in the process is all.

Toyota changed the timing on the 1HZ in 1999, not sure why.

Cheers

Is the no/ ACSD .85-.91 in MM or IN?
Toyota is all metric. Anything outside the US, Myanmar and Liberia is all metric these days

Alright so here is the latest update.
Timing was off, and engine still has a misfire.
Timing was set to spec and the misfire persists
Compression is within spec.
Driving the truck it still has episodes of coughing black smoke at random intervals.
Once the truck shifts to 4th gear the engine gets luggy.
Appears that cylinder 5 is the misfire.
The new shop will be pulling the injectors this week and taking a boroscope into each cylinder to check for mishaps.
Cant wait to see what is in Cylinder #5&6.

As I was talking with NW Fuel about this today, I was informed that they had no confidence in the work of Overland Cruisers. Problems that they created such as the smashed woodruff key ETC...

What would be causing the issue of random episodes of coughing smoke?

Alright so here is the latest update.
Timing was off, and engine still has a misfire.
Timing was set to spec and the misfire persists
Compression is within spec.
Driving the truck it still has episodes of coughing black smoke at random intervals.
Once the truck shifts to 4th gear the engine gets luggy.
Appears that cylinder 5 is the misfire.
The new shop will be pulling the injectors this week and taking a boroscope into each cylinder to check for mishaps.
Cant wait to see what is in Cylinder #5&6.

As I was talking with NW Fuel about this today, I was informed that they had no confidence in the work of Overland Cruisers. Problems that they created such as the smashed woodruff key ETC...

What would be causing the issue of random episodes of coughing smoke?
If it was persistent, I would say compression, but that checks out good, so the only other possible reason is fuel system related, either a crook injector or something up in the fuel pump.

Having no confidence in their work is putting it pretty mildly and I congratulate you on your patience with the previous shop, seems like they're totally incompetent and have screwed up everything from start to finish

If it was persistent, I would say compression, but that checks out good, so the only other possible reason is fuel system related, either a crook injector or something up in the fuel pump.

Having no confidence in their work is putting it pretty mildly and I congratulate you on your patience with the previous shop, seems like they're totally incompetent and have screwed up everything from start to finish
I agree in the thoughts of it being fuel system related, but as I chatted with the boss at NW Fuel who got me brand new injectors and has looked at this pump no less than 3 times, He does not agree that it is related to the injectors or pump at this time because the truck was brought in for repairs because of the coughing/smoking issues and the problem still persists, something ****ie may be going on elsewhere

Wondering if replacing the Fuel line of the injectors will mitigate any of this?

Since the injector lines can only be torqued so many times and they start to lose their clamping force I wonder if an air leak is persisting in the injector lines.

Does anyone have a source to get some new lines?

Wondering if replacing the Fuel line of the injectors will mitigate any of this?

What an ordeal for you. At least we know the truth about Overland Cruisers. In regards to the injector pipes, I would be reluctant to say yes without some proof that a leakage is actually happening. My old diesel mechanic (shop now closed due to retirement) could test, repair or make new ones.
And to be honest I have never heard of a worn out injector line. But maybe OC damaged something. I think you could tell a lot by comparing the thread and flare on the injector line with a good one.
And if it was bad , it would getting air into the system and you would have some really awful lumpy 5 cyl starts.
And air in the system causes whitish grey smoke.
Another symptom of a bad injector line thread and flare is you would probably be getting small amounts of diesel leaking out the connection.

1HZ injector lines are fairly easy to acquire used in Australia, but Ill bet the 1HD T wont be
Cruiser parts have yours new and OEM for $45 ea if you need one. But they are not 100% clear on whether its a 1HZ or 1HD T.

Last edited:
I just read through the whole thread, not sure how I missed it until now.

The thing that stands out as missing is knowing the compression numbers for each cylinder, "within spec" from a shop that underwhelmed like this doesn't cut it. You could be chasing your tail if that's the root of the problem. Especially after recently hearing a "ping" and getting smoke from the manifold joint, that could have been a glow plug or injector tip, a cracked piston, who knows. Get a proper compression test done as a top priority. Before spending money on injector lines IMO.

I just read through the whole thread, not sure how I missed it until now.

The thing that stands out as missing is knowing the compression numbers for each cylinder, "within spec" from a shop that underwhelmed like this doesn't cut it. You could be chasing your tail if that's the root of the problem. Especially after recently hearing a "ping" and getting smoke from the manifold joint, that could have been a glow plug or injector tip, a cracked piston, who knows. Get a proper compression test done as a top priority. Before spending money on injector lines IMO.
These are the numbers from OC. I will have to get the numbers from the new shop as they did the test today and was informed it is still within spec. As well they are going to stick a boroscope in the bore to check for anomalies.
#1 473 psi
#2 460 psi
#3 453psi
#4 459psi
#5 470psi
#6 453 psi

Gotta ask... just how far off was the overall timing?

Hey guys, first post for me here. Found the thread as I’ve got very similar issues with my 1hdt also. Have rebuilt pump, injectors, bottom end rebuild even though compression was good. Chasing bad white smoke at idle and cold start also! None of the work I’ve carried out had made a difference to the smoke. My injector lines are over flared and possibly causing a air leak as no there is no evidence of air before the pump. Will be following this thread and posting if I do end up finding the issue! Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom