Low range transfer case gears from nitro gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nitro is having a sale right now and I wanted to see if anyone has used their low range transfer case gears. Their site says they are made from a Japanese alloy. But that’s about it. Any one using these or know if they are the same quality as the marlin crawler or are they the cheap trail quality ones. Link to the gears below

Nitro is having a sale right now and I wanted to see if anyone has used their low range transfer case gears. Their site says they are made from a Japanese alloy. But that’s about it. Anyone using these or know if they are the same quality as the marlin crawler or are they the cheap trail quality ones. Link to the gears below

Honestly, I would go for it. I am on the fence about doing the high/low range reduction or regearing the 3rds to 5.29 since I am going to upsize to 37s.

I forget where I was looking at the reduction gears but I think they are close to the same price as this one or even the Sumo gears.

I am in the same boat, I’m on 37s and wondering if I should just do the under drive gears and the low range, or get the 5.29s and the low range. Transfer case looks to be a lot less work then pulling the thirds.
Marlin wants 699 for them and I think cruiser outfitters is 725. after there sale the nitros are 519 shipped. Thanks for you insight.

What ratio does a 3:12.1 give you as it translates to diff gearing? I’m not familiar...beyond the 488, 529 numbers.

So that’s probably similar to the 4:56 type sold by others.

last time I checked gear sets ran for this much...

I have the high and low range gears from @cruiseroutfit and love them. I am still on 35s and this setup gets you equivalent to 4.56s (which is back to stock for 35s). I like this setup a lot as I get to keep the stronger/thicker 4.10s in the pumpkins and have even lower low range than just 4.56s with stock t case. If I ever go up to 37s, I will then go to 4.56s in the diffs (and that will be about equivalent to 4.88s in the diffs...with even lower low range than just 4.88s alone). To be honest, 5.29s strength scares me a little so I would be happy to have stronger 4.56s with t case gears instead of just 4.88s or 5.29s with 37s.

just my $0.02.

Smitty

I have the high and low range gears from @cruiseroutfit and love them. I am still on 35s and this setup gets you equivalent to 4.56s (which is back to stock for 35s). I like this setup a lot as I get to keep the stronger/thicker 4.10s in the pumpkins and have even lower low range than just 4.56s with stock t case. If I ever go up to 37s, I will then go to 4.56s in the diffs (and that will be about equivalent to 4.88s in the diffs...with even lower low range than just 4.88s alone). To be honest, 5.29s strength scares me a little so I would be happy to have stronger 4.56s with t case gears instead of just 4.88s or 5.29s with 37s.

just my $0.02.

Smitty
I see plenty of people posting "concern" about 5.29 strength but seem to never hear of them breaking at a higher rate than even stock 4.10s. Other than just looking at them visually have you seen any actual evidence that they are actually "weaker" than any other gearset? Seems like most folks running them are running them with the biggest tires possible too so even if they did break a little more often than stock statistically, it would be skewed quite a bit.

I have a set of 5.29s on my shelf that will be installed at some point and I keep reading that they're "weaker" but frankly it just doesn't seem that way in practice.

Last edited:
I see plenty of people posting "concern" about 5.29 strength but seem to never hear of them breaking at a higher rate than even stock 4.10s. Other than just looking at them visually have you seen any actual evidence that they are actual "weaker" than any other gearset? Seems like most folks running them are running them with the biggest tires possible too so even if they did break a little more often than stock statistically, it would be skewed quite a bit.

I have a set of 5.29s on my shelf that will be installed at some point and I keep reading that they're "weaker" but frankly it just doesn't seem that way in practice.
No, I will freely admit that I have zero empirical evidence that they are weaker. I have heard of breaks in all of the flavors. I know a lot of people run the 5.29s without issue. I think your point about tires is my my intuition...I would prefer to run the thickest gears I can get away with based on my tire size. Big tires get heavy and I "feel" the thicker the gears, the better...but again, I have zero data to support this.

Smitty

just my $0.02.

Smitty

I am on the fence about 4:88s or re-gearing the t-case to 4.56(for when I goto 33s on my 3FE). Your comments lead me to believe re-gearing the transfer has 2 benefits I was not aware of. Could you comment on why the t-case re-gear gets you lower range than in the pumpkins? As I read it, you are saying that if you had 4:56 ring and pinions front and rear you would not be as low as you are with 4:56 driving the 4:10s. Also, the OEM 4:10s are bigger/stronger than aftermarket lower range gear sets? I just want to make sure I am understanding right. Thanks

I am on the fence about 4:88s or re-gearing the t-case to 4.56(for when I goto 33s on my 3FE). Your comments lead me to believe re-gearing the transfer has 2 benefits I was not aware of. Could you comment on why the t-case re-gear gets you lower range than in the pumpkins? As I read it, you are saying that if you had 4:56 ring and pinions front and rear you would not be as low as you are with 4:56 driving the 4:10s. Also, the OEM 4:10s are bigger/stronger than aftermarket lower range gear sets? I just want to make sure I am understanding right. Thanks
His comment about lower low range in the transfer is because there is a low range reduction gear you can also add in addition to the high range transfer gear, replacing the low range gear is what enhances your low range gear ratio. Replacing the high range x-fer gear is what is essentially equivalent to have 4.56s in the pumpkins.

As to the second half of your comment, there is a belief that OEM 4.10s are stronger than aftermarket replacements based on visual appearance, though there is no real world evidence to support this claim.

This is because when you regear the high range gears in the transfer case, you are right there to also regear the low range gears. (Swapping 2 gears vs swapping 4 gears and some clearancing of the housing.) it’s a no brainer that if you are regearing the t case, you regear high and low together. Cruiser Outfitters chart here:
4CC1B841-F09B-4318-A9F2-F3EF8E09580B.jpeg

I have a buddy that runs the high and low Xcase gears on 33's. He is straight overland and is happy with the set up.

I run 35"s with 4.88 gears. I busted an axle and decided to upgrade and do the part time. I figured since I was in the Xcase might as well change the low range (used TG ones). Really glad I did. We hit the Rubicon last spring and it was glaringly obvious how much those gears helped. So much better control.

If I was to build a rig for just OL I would only do the Xcase gears and keep it on 33"s.

I used trail gear and they work great. I know there are purist people out there who bash trail gear yet have zero experience with them. They just jump on the sheep band wagon.

just my $0.02.

Smitty
I do believe if you go 4.56 and have the underdrive gears you actually get a 5.0 gear ratio. if you go 4.88 you get 5.29

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, I picked up the low range gears from Nitro yesterday and then ordered the Sumo underdrive high gears from Cruiser Outfitters. :beer:

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, I picked up the low range gears from Nitro yesterday and then ordered the Sumo underdrive high gears from Cruiser Outfitters. :beer:
Let me know how you like them once installed. What did the underdrive high range gears run?

$520 shipped. Basically the same as the low range ones on sale. Worried about the noise potential but seems like the perfect gear option for my 315/70/17 tires (Raptor takeoffs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom