Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there, Mark. I wish I had profound words that could help, but know that there is a large community here wishing you and your family all the best in these times.

Mom is supposed to be released from the hospital today. The doctors have done what they can. Two valves of her heart are leaking pretty badly, the source of the congestive heart failure. The medicine they prescribed to help her body get rid of the excess fluid has compromised her kidneys to the point they must stop the medication.

She will be moved to pallative care/hospice for what time she has left.

I am struck by the irony that even in dying, my mother has helped to make the case that at the end of the day Covid is just another flu. After two weeks, she has tested Covid-free. An 84 year old woman with half her systems compromised still beat it! But you can bet they’ll add her number to the skewed statistics that help justify this ridiculous global overreaction.

My mother has never been a spiritual person, much less a metaphysical one. And yet, thinking about her in the dawning hours today, I was inspired to a small tribute:

E88A6ABA-99BA-428C-84A7-0CC293FA6BEF.jpeg

The light
and the dark.
And which is the light
and which is the dark?
Would it not be a blessing
to not be fooled by one more sunrise
into thinking
that you were seeing all there was to be seen?

Last edited:
Mark, I'm hoping for peace for your mother and you and your family. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Mark, I'm hoping for peace for your mother and you and your family. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Lee. We’re still waiting for word from the hospital when they will release my mom. In the meantime my sister texted me yesterday to say she had arranged for a storage space for my mom’s stuff, and that movers will go to her place and pack everything up. Then we just have to settle up with the management.
There is a hospice two blocks from my sister’s house where they will move her. :(

I am really grateful that my sister is handling all this. I still remember when my dad died twenty one years ago, and it fell to me to take care of dismantling my dad’s factory and emptying out his warehouse. My best friend bitched at me about why my family wasn’t helping.

I told him the first rule you have to remember is that there is no equity in family. I learned this from my father. :rolleyes:
So now I am smiling because I never complained to my sisters about it...and now it’s their turn. And they’re doing what needs to be done.:)
so maybe there is some equity after all.

Last edited:
hello mark ...

Last edited:
Mark I am very saddened to learn of your trials and tribulations. I will be praying for you and your family.

Well, I woke up a few minutes ago and realized...TODAY IS THE DAY! It was 30 years ago today I hosted the Grand Opening of Mark's Off Road. I've been so focused on dealing with my mom for the last few days that it slipped my mind right up to the day. Hoping to have some time today to reflect on the milestone.

Yesterday I met with my sisters and signed the papers to move my mother into palliative care/hospice. I have not seen her; they tell me she is no longer on oxygen and is eating baby food, and that she is slightly more talkative. It remains for the hospital and the county to agree that she is Covid-free before she can leave the hospital.

I'm glad I have work to keep me occupied.

I just posted the story of my grand opening in /this\thread. [I think that's my first use of a hyperlink!]

Last edited:
Congrats on 30 years in business Mark!

Amazing accomplishment and it's been fun to be a part of it, especially the early years. I came across this bit of history from my files and figured this would be the perfect occasion to share. Looking forward to many more years of advice, parts and adventures.

MORE 1.jpg
MORE 2.jpg

Mark,
Just popped in to catch up and I'm saddened to hear of all the turmoil you've been going through. Wishing you and your entire family healing during these difficult times. You and your family are in our prayers!
Dave

Well hello stranger! Interesting timing. I was doing yard work when I got home last night, and was thinking about you about half an hour before you posted.:hmm:

We are still in a holding pattern with my mom. In the meantime, we received a formal letter from her doctor declaring her mentally impaired, and I am now acting under power of attorney. We signed papers to move her into hospice 10 days ago, but she continues to alternate test positive for Covid, so the hospital won’t release her.

On a brighter note, now that the hospitals realize that they overreacted (faulty conclusions based on faulty assumptions vetted through faulty models) they are going to be doing the surgery on my daughter today.:bounce:

Me, I’m just going out for another bicycle ride on a beautiful spring day.:)

Last edited:
Well hello stranger! Interesting timing. I was doing yard work when I got home last night, and was thinking about you about half an hour before you posted.:hmm:

We are still in a holding pattern with my mom. In the meantime, we received a formal letter from her doctor declaring her mentally impaired, and I am now acting under power of attorney. We signed papers to move her into hospice 10 days ago, but she continues to alternate test positive for Covid, so the hospital won’t release her.

On a brighter note, now that the hospitals realize that they overreacted (faulty conclusions based on faulty assumptions) they are going to be doing the surgery on my daughter today.:bounce:

Me, I’m just going out for another bicycle ride on a beautiful spring day.:)

I hope all goes well!

Love the catalog. Enjoy your ride. I am headed to Bicycle John's today to decide on and hopefully order a real mountain bike. I was by the old warehouse this morning on the way to work and it was good to sell it when you did (my unsolicited 2 cents)

Congrats on 30 years in business Mark!

Amazing accomplishment and it's been fun to be a part of it, especially the early years. I came across this bit of history from my files and figured this would be the perfect occasion to share. Looking forward to many more years of advice, parts and adventures.
Thanks for posting that Mike! I’m not sure WE even have a copy of that first price list any more. It’s really hard to remember some of that stuff, while other stuff still seems clear like it was only a few years ago.

Well my sister texted earlier to say the hospital released my mom today. And then she texted a couple of hours later to say that she finally had a second consecutive negative test, which makes a difference on how the hospice will manage her. I plan to see her Sunday.

Love the catalog. Enjoy your ride. I am headed to Bicycle John's today to decide on and hopefully order a real mountain bike. I was by the old warehouse this morning on the way to work and it was good to sell it when you did (my unsolicited 2 cents)

Homeless people?

Post up what you buy in the bicycle forum and tag me. I’m thinking about upgrading my 30yr old mtn bike. I took it up Surprise Canyon to Panamint City in 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom