Help Bent the oil pan. 92 3FE. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Was replacing my mounts on a 92 3fe this weekend.

So, I lifted under the oil pan after reading a few threads saying you could only to slightly bend the front of the pan inward. Bad news. Started her up for approx 10 seconds and there’s now a rattle from that spot where the bend is. What’s the do you suspect it is and what is the fix?

Hello all. Was replacing my mounts on a 92 3fe this weekend.

So, I lifted under the oil pan after reading a few threads saying you could only to slightly bend the front of the pan inward. Bad news. Started her up for approx 10 seconds and there’s now a rattle from that spot where the bend is. What’s the do you suspect it is and what is the fix?
I'd suspect that part of the rotating assembly is potentially contacting the bottom of the pan, depends how much it bent really. If it was me I'd be pulling it apart/off to inspect it but I know others will chime in. Pics would be helpful.

If it's bent, knock it back out. Back up the dent with a block of plumber's lead or a dive belt weight if you can find one. You want a "dead anvil" backing up the dent so you can get back to flat and straight with out thinning the material too much.

Cool. Thanks for the advise. Will keep y’all informed of the progress. Gonna drop the oil and pan tonight hopefully or first thing in the morn. Will add some pics too when I get back after it.

I did the same thing when replacing a motor mount. I thought i had used a big enough piece of wood to space out the pressure but didn't. Drop the oil pan and hammer it back out. Chances are your oil pan is leaking anyways so its a win win. It was for me.

Haha oh it definitely is. I have a new gasket already for a time such as this. Thanks for the info.

Any tips on removing the oil pan? Took off the 22 bolts and it still won’t budge. Trying to figure out what I’m missing. Tapped lightly with a mallet but before I start whacking too hard I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

Any tips on removing the oil pan? Took off the 22 bolts and it still won’t budge. Trying to figure out what I’m missing. Tapped lightly with a mallet but before I start whacking too hard I want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.
I used a small jack against a frame rail with a 2x4 along the side of the pan while carefully working a small putty knife along the seam.
Don't succumb to the urge to drive a screwdriver into it, as you will likely scar the block surface.

Replace the gasket with the OEM cork 12151-61011.
Spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning the mating surface of the block with a plastic razor blade and Scotchbrite pads. Be sure to get the front and rear arches, which are prone to leaks. Finish with acetone.

What he said. I used a jack against the frame and wood. It popped right off. I found using small zip ties to hold the gasket against the engine helped greatly getting it back together.

Got the pan off using the small jack like suggested. In doing so did bend the side of the pan as well. Gonna bang that out too. Scoring on the front of the pan from the piston bracket so that is what was creating the noise. Now to clean up and pound out and re attach.

36BC42EC-C14E-498C-9C8C-8D9F78FB3599.jpeg

FA03108E-8341-42EE-B03A-370D1F4CF04E.jpeg

6C1B5B16-EC4E-47BB-BDD3-2BDB93F42E6D.jpeg

D39E0267-17F0-4633-ADA9-E26A30094C2E.jpeg

Well, it won't hit anything internally, but it will reduce your oil capacity some. Run high on your dipstick and you'll be fine.

Got it all back together and sealed up. Thanks for all the tips and tricks. Used longer bolts to assist getting it set into the block. Re-install was by far the easiest part of the whole thing. Running fine now with no apparent leaks so will just keep watching over the next few weeks for oil.

5A7E14E6-4C0E-42F4-907F-5DB591378E76.jpeg

186EBFEC-A31D-463E-874D-C241333073AC.jpeg

7681C5DF-C13D-49FE-8F58-2EB8948FBAF0.jpeg

5E974C0A-2126-4FD8-84CB-91E59913FF39.jpeg

F8B55A7F-38B4-4525-ADB7-0EAEA1804A1A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom