Boosted vs unboosted clutch master cylinder. What’s the benefits? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, so I got a boosted and unboosted clutch master cylinder. What are the benefits of each? The boosted one came from the Canadian BJ70 I used to have, which hasn’t been in use for more than 10 yrs so don’t know if it still works and if not can I get it fixed? The unboosted one is from my HJ75. Thanks.

9AC3B0DB-26DF-4198-80DD-33A68A60F024.jpeg

7C0CF4EA-6C5F-4F59-BD5A-5C1BA3942681.jpeg

Well, I would say the non-boosted has less crap to go wrong with. it and will give you more room under the hood.

As to how much pedal difference there is, I'm not sure. My BJ74 is a non-boosted from the factory so I haven't ever tried the boosted.

Clutch booster goes on the cockpit side of firewall. No space lost in engine compartment.

Yes, you are right.
I guess mine is in the cabin to leave room for the 13bt turbo.

FWIW, I have driven my cdn BJ60 (3B, H55, which is what you have, I think) both with power, and for a time (when the vac pump failed) without. Quite a difference, as I recall!!

Boosted clutch is really nice. Should be standard on all manual land cruisers.

when i switched right to left hand used a late model clutch system. much more better.

Interesting. Did it bolt straight in or did you have to modify/ drill new holes for it?

I swapped my non boosted LJ setup for a boosted one out of a PZJ70, inside booster, there are definitely at least 2 types of boosted clutch fitted to different 70 series models. Maybe a LHD vs RHD thing? External for LHD, internal for RHD? Seen here with the std LJ71 non boosted:

i-vTbC3J6-L.jpg

It was tight to fit, but did go in ok, only required the drilling of 1 or 2 extra bolt holes & a slight enlargement of the main hole, one of the bolt holes was common so it was easy to bolt on the bracket for a drilling guide.

i-MGS5Tfg-L.jpg

Another thing to consider is that master vs slave cylinder diameters also vary - my std one above was 5/8" bore & the boosted one was 3/4". I suspect boosted setups usually run a bigger master cylinder to trade off some of the assistance for a shorter pedal stroke. With the above units the master cylinders were not interchangeable.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom