Wanted FOUND..AZ… Looking for a 1F or early 2f exhaust manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

allworknoplay

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm working on a '72 FJ40 and discovered the exhaust manifold has a two inch long crack. I've been looking for a replacement locally but I'm striking out so far. If I'm not mistaken, an early 2f should fit also? If you have a decent one available let me know. Thanks, Nick.

If you strike out locally I have several options in Des Moines - PM me an email or cell # and I can shoot you some pics

The intake manifold must match. I don't know about '74, but my '71 intake is different from my '75. My '75 exhaust manifold is tough, because I don't know where to get the plug for EGR without chopping up the EGR tube, and dealing with potential leak at the fitting, and I need to source the flange for the downpipe, and have exhaust pipe bent and welded. Because the carbs sit different on the intakes, a 2F will be a mess for the air cleaner, IIRC. My intake manifold was welded on both sides of the heat riser, and on one side it is visibly cracked - although they sell a heat riser block-off plate.

Thanks Dizzy, I guess I knew the intakes would be different, but didn't really think about how the exhaust manifold would play with it. I'll definitely compare pics first.

Thanks for the replies/help...I needed up picking up a complete engine from a 71. I'll be selling all or parts to that in the near future (minus the exhaust manifold).

What shape was the rest of engine in?
I bought it off an older gentleman that said it ran great but he pulled it ten years ago to drop in a 350. He also said he had the head rebuilt a year prior to removing it and a new head gasket was put on. Obviously I take any info on an engine with a grain of salt, and ten years has a way of being 15 or 20 without realizing it. But it turns by hand and it had oil in it. Despite being stored outside, it was blocked up and covered, along with several other engine parts, with a heavy rubber mat rather than a sun eroded tarp. It's complete, except for a fuel pump. I'll try to start it on a stand just to see if there's any issues.

I bought it off an older gentleman that said it ran great but he pulled it ten years ago to drop in a 350. He also said he had the head rebuilt a year prior to removing it and a new head gasket was put on. Obviously I take any info on an engine with a grain of salt, and ten years has a way of being 15 or 20 without realizing it. But it turns by hand and it had oil in it. Despite being stored outside, it was blocked up and covered, along with several other engine parts, with a heavy rubber mat rather than a sun eroded tarp. It's complete, except for a fuel pump. I'll try to start it on a stand just to see if there's any issues.

Just to be clear it has the oil fill tube on the right side close to the where the fuel pump mounts? Believe it was 7/70 when the oil fill moved to the valve cover. Because it turn over by hand is a good sign. I bought a old trashed 61 FJ40 fifteen years ago. Engine had the wrong head gasket used and coolant got into the oil. That engine is obviously trash but have kept it covered with a old floor mat the entire time. Certainly works better than any tarp. Can't even get six months out of Harbor Freight's suppose top quality tarps in the valley. Surprising the cheaper camo tarps last for years in Northern AZ.

PS I would consider keeping the intake and exhaust manifolds from the 71 engine together. I probably have 2 72 head, intake and exhaust manifold. Besides not being in the valley right now hated to break up set. Which is why I suggested you keep the 71 set together.

What I really need is early 2F exhaust manifolds. Have a few earlier cruisers that came with early 2Fs, a couple of which had headers added. It was either in the late seventies or early eighties I put a header on my 68 FJ40. Luckily kept the original exhaust manifold to reinstall when I decided I prefer the slow lane and the low end torque of the stock setup.

Yep, oil fill on the side. Here's a few pics

IMG_20200418_100112968.jpg

IMG_20200418_100128838.jpg

IMG_20200418_100137293.jpg

Yes, I'm going to keep the intake and exhaust together. Do you see any reason I shouldn't do a light media blast to them to clean them up a bit prior to install? Just avoid the mating surfaces?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom