What is your FJ40 Restoration Shop Garage Set-up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Starting a post to find the optimal workshop setup for restoring an FJ40. Post your work area. Below is my harness wiring “lab” and garage.
54A9F2E4-8770-4D5F-B0AB-F2FD135BC449.jpeg

A8DF118B-C927-4AB0-A421-B217024E1F69.jpeg

Well this is embarrassing...

5C7C6C8D-F978-42A2-859B-F5C6A64FCDB7.jpeg

Well this is embarrassing...

View attachment 2270485
Isn’t there a phrase that says something like “ a clean desk is a sign of disturbed mind.” I just spent two days working on organizing and fixing the garage door. Mine looks marginally better then that. If the cruiser existed in a vacuum and I had enough time to devote to it, the garage would still be a mess.

The optimal shop in my mind has two benches to work on separate projects, since I never seem to have( or can locate) all pieces for each project. This means there is a minimum of four projects going at any given moment.

The biggest luxury is to have shop space separate from the house/garage, so that you don't have to move or put away project pieces, parts, and tools in between times when you can work on them. Expensive but way worth it.

Here is my current setup, after construction was finished. Right now, it is filled with our household goods so I can't use it as a shop until we finish building the house next to it. :(

IMG_0281 1280x960_zpsxwwhqnz8.jpg

IMG_0279 1280x960_zps4ghiixjf.jpg

The biggest luxury is to have shop space separate from the house/garage, so that you don't have to move or put away project pieces, parts, and tools in between times when you can work on them. Expensive but way worth it.

Here is my current setup, after construction was finished. Right now, it is filled with our household goods so I can't use it as a shop until we finish building the house next to it. :(

View attachment 2270903

View attachment 2270905

Thanks for embarrassing te rest of us!

Nice shop!

View attachment 2270903

View attachment 2270905
Congratulations....what a great space. Couldn't agree more to have shop separate. Post here once you have it fully operational.
The expense of a separate garage can be easily justified to the wife. Similar to justifying why we stockpile parts for the future...Mathematically, if you drive your FJ40 as a daily driver for the next 30 years, you will need a shop to work on it. If the average pick-up truck costs $650 per month x 30 years keeping up with inflation, that's $317,000 in automobile payments saved.

Nice shop!! What did you use on your floors?

Hopefully you get your house done quickly so you can get in your shop! :)

Here is my set up. I’ve waited a long time to finally get to this point. It is a separate Morton building next to the house.

The lift is a recent addition and is a life saver over crawling all over the floor to work on rigs. I justify it because “it will save my back” long term, or so I tell my wife.

The building is also heated, which is a huge deal here at 9,100’ in the winters.
A25D2BB4-912A-4BE6-92D4-838FB7DE7B65.jpeg

Mine is very far from the optimal workshop, but this is what I have. One garage tent outside (worked as a paint booth too) and one storage room in cellar below the house. Everywhere the working space is very much limited. The rest is done outside in fresh air. :)
FD6D88F3-95F5-4F61-A1DD-E5F7EBECE103.jpeg
5859927D-55CD-47FA-853F-867470804D1A.jpeg
74102E7F-AA6F-437A-8EA7-3E0027559D62.jpeg
B75539FE-4291-4EEB-9830-0006742EE85C.jpeg
3608A733-5FE3-4641-B38A-67D45A439976.jpeg

View attachment 2270903

View attachment 2270905
For all that is holy, toss some dirt on the floor or something :eek:

The expense of a separate garage can be easily justified to the wife. Similar to justifying why we stockpile parts for the future...Mathematically, if you drive your FJ40 as a daily driver for the next 30 years, you will need a shop to work on it. If the average pick-up truck costs $650 per month x 30 years keeping up with inflation, that's $317,000 in automobile payments saved.

Our last place (before this one) was the first time I had a dedicated shop building; it was already there when we bought that place. My wife says we only bought that house and land because of the shop! Maybe close to the truth; it was a big draw for me. It also had an office built in to one corner, which was perfect for me since I am self-employed and work from home, so my other justification.

I put a hoist system in it for my hard top:

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

Nice shop!! What did you use on your floors?

Hopefully you get your house done quickly so you can get in your shop! :)

Thanks!

The floors are epoxy coated concrete. Could have had it any color; light gray is light enough to see nuts and bolts dropped on the floor and reflects some light, but hopefully won't show dirt real bad.

Last edited:
For all that is holy, toss some dirt on the floor or something :eek:

Oh, it's already dirty now, crap tracked in to get tools and etc. I park my trucks on the apron for the bay doors, and walk through it to get to the apartment on the other side that we live in while the house is under construction.

It's not about the space its about the skill and determination behind the restoration.
Well I have 2 of the 3 requirements... :)

I thought @kevos37 workshop was pretty badass. Destroyed in the Paradise fire. :cry:

I bet he builds a nicer one at the new place. ;)

BTW, there‘s a forum just for this topic. @woody has some pics of his spread there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom