The COVID Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wowzers - that tool is impressive. Seeing the shortages of beds in CT where my parents are, versus the NC stats that show us having plenty of extra beds to spare even at the peak. Almost makes me want to jump in the car and go grab them.

would be faster and safer to charter from the local aircraft charter company that uses hondajets to go get them. would cost more, but ya do what ya gotta do sometimes.

I think they are called JetIt.

Yeah I talked to them - they're not budging from where they are. My mother goes to the grocery store once a week when it's open only for old people. I just sent her my N95 mask and told her to wear it when she goes.... (she was still believing the old advice that they were spouting - in order to keep people from hoarding)...

My niece lives in Aurora, CO, and has been told she most likely has it. they wont test her.they dont want her to go to the hosp until her lips turn blue. Shes 27, immune system compromised. lives alone. symptoms peak and valley, and shes trying to avoid being hospitalized and on a ventilator. shes been there, done that a decade ago, and was awake and unmedicated that whole time. no nearby family, but does have a family friend couple keeping local tabs on her. their son is a med student, and will be trying to give her some observarion.

this truly is a watershed moment in the world's history. be safe, and be smart

An old teaching buddy moved to NY to take over a school there. I finally caught up with him today to get news. He says after a period they simply stopped testing because everyone in his borough (about 70k people) was coming up +. High density living must be truly frightening right now.

917D6D2E-CBD6-4C44-A6BF-0E7266976DCC.jpeg

My niece lives in Aurora, CO, and has been told she most likely has it. they wont test her.they dont want her to go to the hosp until her lips turn blue. Shes 27, immune system compromised. lives alone. symptoms peak and valley, and shes trying to avoid being hospitalized and on a ventilator. shes been there, done that a decade ago, and was awake and unmedicated that whole time. no nearby family, but does have a family friend couple keeping local tabs on her. their son is a med student, and will be trying to give her some observarion.

this truly is a watershed moment in the world's history. be safe, and be smart

Please let me know if I can help in anyway? Close to home.

Really anyone that has to go to work (as in not work from home) right now should be getting time and a half even if they are salary. Hazard pay should be a real thing in these times. I can luckily work from home. Andrea can't and lots of others I know are working around tons of other people.
I wish i could stay at home . They say im essential, maybe expendable. I'm business as usual.

Please let me know if I can help in anyway? Close to home.

I appreciate that. shes been resting, and her symptoms come and go in intensity.

I'll let you know if things change

I appreciate that. shes been resting, and her symptoms come and go in intensity.

I'll let you know if things change

Please do. It’s easy for me, it honestly is.

Even if it’s just dropping supplies, food, etc.

SC is one of 12 states still not on lock down. Our governor is a weenie.
SC was given a C- grade on overall social distancing. Spartanburg County (where I live) was given an F grade. So very inspiring. :(

I am considered essential and I am customer facing. My employer provided me with zero PPE, only a bottle of hand sanitizer. Yesterday I had a customer who absolutely, positively needed me on site, but they insisted that I wear a mask and gloves. I looked around the garage and luckily found "old faithful," the years-old N95 mask that I have been using for sand blasting and spray painting. It was black with grime and paint. My wife had some gauntlet-style rubber cleaning gloves under the sink, so I took those. When I showed up to the customer location wearing my pitiful PPE, the guy just laughed and said, If that's the best you've got, come on in! I asked him if he had any PPE he would sell me and he said no. I should have hit him up for some toilet paper too!

IMG_0373[1].JPG

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

― Konstantin Josef Jireček

Last edited:
Post image
CURRENT STATS (as of 4/1 at 2:00 p.m.)

1,600+ cases

26,000+ tests completed

200+ hospitalizations

10 deaths

NC has roughly 2,800 ventilators (more on the way) with 2,100 currently available

Post image
The bend at the top looks encouraging but it might just be because we only have half a day's data.

HOW BAD WILL THIS BE IN NC?

There’s a new estimate of how bad this is likely to get in NC and I want to share it with you - not because I’m certain it’s completely accurate, but because it’s the best effort that’s been made public and it gives us at least a sense of what we’re in for.

Post image
Source: Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation

This is a chart of the expected demand for ICU beds in North Carolina and it basically says that if we keep doing what we’re doing - keep schools and non-essential businesses closed and keep our stay home order in place - then we’re going to hit peak infection in late April.

The dotted line shows that we may be on course to exceed our ICU bed capacity (which is actually a little bit higher than this chart depicts - we've got about 800 currently available). But the shaded area is essentially the margin of error for the prediction, so we’ve got a wide range between not exceeding capacity and dramatically exceeding it - which would mean a spike in the mortality rate.

What does this tell us? It tells us we still have the time and ability to minimize the loss of life in our state.

To be blunt: We are not going to have widespread testing. There are lots of reasons for that - none of which have to do with our state and all of which have to do with the federal response - but it’s a reality. We’re still using tests and they're very important, but we're not going to test our way out of this like South Korea did. We just didn't get enough test kits fast enough.

But - despite that major setback - it’s still possible to minimize the loss of life in our state by making sure we don’t max out the ICU beds. We just have to take social distancing very seriously for the next several weeks. In this model, OUR BEHAVIOR is the biggest variable. How seriously WE take this will ultimately determine the mortality rate.

Quick List

• We’ve only received 17% of the PPE that we requested from the federal government. That’s not good, and it’s why we’re sourcing from everywhere we can find and working with North Carolina manufacturers to switch production to PPE if at all possible.
  • The state’s unemployment insurance website and call center are still facing a nightmarish traffic jam as they get slammed with 50x the normal traffic, but we are adding servers and contracted with an additional call center to help field calls. If you’re having serious trouble, please fill out this customer contact form: DES: Customer Contact Form.
  • Regarding the federal unemployment benefit that just passed, it will be administered by the state. We’re still waiting on implementation guidance from the federal Department of Labor, at which point benefits will be paid in about two weeks. Independent contractors and people who are self-employed will qualify for the federal benefit - they do not currently qualify for the state benefit. I know the state website isn’t set up to receive applications from people who are contractors or self-employed and that’s part of what we need to fix. If you fall into this category, just file the application as best you can.
  • Gov. Cooper’s new executive order means no one can shut off your electricity, gas, or water for at least the next 60 days.
  • The U.S. Corps of Engineers is helping us scout for places that could be used as hospital expansions.
  • We've launched a hotline to help critical workers connect with child care (888-600-1685).
STAY STRONG. We can do this.

More updates soon,

Sen. Jeff Jackson

I am considered essential and I am customer facing. My employer provided me with zero PPE, only a bottle of hand sanitizer. Yesterday I had a customer who absolutely, positively needed me on site, but they insisted that I wear a mask and gloves. I looked around the garage and luckily found "old faithful," the years-old N95 mask that I have been using for sand blasting and spray painting. It was black with grime and paint. My wife had some gauntlet-style rubber cleaning gloves under the sink, so I took those. When I showed up to the customer location wearing my pitiful PPE, the guy just laughed and said, If that's the best you've got, come on in! I asked him if he had any PPE he would sell me and he said no. I should have hit him up for some toilet paper too!

View attachment 2257522

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

― Konstantin Josef Jireček
but hey, randull, donovan, and stank got whatever they want, but what they need is a high lift jack handle to the cranium

quick update on my niece. she had another teladoc session and was approved for a test. she was sent to an independent lab, with a secret code to get inside. swabbing was painful,, de was amazed she drove herself. he gave her an inhaler, and specific instructions walk every 15 min, breathe deep no matter how hard it hurts. shes going to see abuyr supplemental o2 for the apartment. 7 days for test results. co doesnt do the z pack combo. she is not ot.gonto a host unless critical. freaking turbbpmn

Holy cow, I guess the ambien kicked in quickly during my post last night LOL
Sorry but most of us speak english.

BTW I hope your niece is doing better.

I run an essential business. All my competitors are running adds and doing clean ups. I cannot make money if i am dead. So i am not that essential. I will let them get their pennies now and hopefully i can be back to normal and once this passes. Another thing os if i pick it up somewhere i can spread it easily to 100 people that have been working from home and in quarantine. People still not understand that. Be safe everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom