TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this seems like a good place for this, I was wrenching. I got the 80 I bought a few months ago ( early January maybe?) running and driving. So tonight I started on the interior, it’s getting gutted and Dyna-matted. I was cleaning out the center console and found this. I think I’m go gonna buy some lotto tickets while I’m at it. :flipoff2:
50E0E6B5-7567-440D-819D-A511E85B5FB7.jpeg

As I have had to hit the starter with a wrench more than a few times over the last few years, I decided to finally replace the starter. I read on mud that a 60 series gear reduction starter would make a great upgrade. I got a rebuilt one from a Toyota dealer and had to get a new battery cable as the one from the factory was 1-2” short given the new starter is remarkably more compact. Started right up after installation and sounds like a newer vehicle. Ended up not reconnecting one of the wires (red/black) off the old one (circled). No clue what it was for. Any guesses?
Hi David! On my HJ45, the extra wire goes to the Over Injection Magnet.

Looking for some advice on my battery situation. Considering relocating my batteries to the interior of the truck to gain some room for activities. Details here:

Short story; moonshine is getting some love since I can't go anywhere. Thinking of moving the batteries to the cab to gain space for AC components, windshield washer bottle, future potential coilover hoops/compound turbos, and avoid having to build a snorkel. There doesn't seem to be a big downside to doing this, but want some opinions.

Theres plenty of vehicles that have batteries under rear seats or in trunks, I think the most important thing is doing it safely. As long as its safe ( secure, cables protected etc.) , the only down side I see is the inconvenience of getting to them when you need to.

Theres plenty of vehicles that have batteries under rear seats or in trunks, I think the most important thing is doing it safely. As long as its safe ( secure, cables protected etc.) , the only down side I see is the inconvenience of getting to them when you need to.

Right, totally. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to regret doing it later, if I decide to relocate the batteries now.

could you mount some batteries under the rear utilizing a swing down bracket of sorts.

You could put inboard battery mounts on the sliders like lots of companies are doing if not wanting to put them in the cab.

I feel like putting them down low by rocks is a bad idea. Protect them with a skidplate, yeah, could, but i have lots of space inside.

EDIT: to clarify, for the past few years, I've been keeping my 35" spare inside the cab under my sleeping platform. I plan to evict that, and have lots of room for activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJR
I'm sure you know, but agm or lithium would be the only way to do it.

battleborn has 100ah group 31 batteries that weigh 28 lbs....but they lighten the wallet too (950 a pop)

Yeah, I've got pretty nice AGM batteries right now that I plan to use.

Yeah, I've got pretty nice AGM batteries right now that I plan to use.

And work in a nice HD jump starting stud/socket/plug under the hood or in the grill to keep life easy.

And work in a nice HD jump starting stud/socket/plug under the hood or in the grill to keep life easy.

Good call. There will have to be a distribution stud or block up front to send power from the alternator and to the starter, which could also be used for jumping.

I had a friend from IH8MUD placing a big order with Mark’s Off-road so had him order for me a hitch to replace the tow ball hitch set up from the factory. It looks well made to me and I’m happy it appears I may be able to leave the step in place. I was going to run out and buy etching primer but decided to try a 2-in-1 paint + primer product from Rust-oleum I had on hand. I’ll try to do a follow up on the product’s long term performance. The paint went on really well and the any-angle spray seems legit.

C8A5C713-3F48-4672-AD37-E15FAA5E996F.jpeg
882FD52B-3520-4ABB-8A81-942362E17FD0.jpeg
1833DE1B-049E-44E3-9132-8A8DD967B8D1.jpeg

Making a new bumper for Bucky to install an 8274.
Original bumper is pretty beat up.
7EB086C0-2A54-46D1-ACE2-F4D4D4ECFD1F.jpeg

New bumper is fabbed from a piece of scrap 2x4 tube. I decided to make the new bumper a bit shorter. I tapered the ends and bent them back 10 degrees. I plan to cut out and weld on a winch plate, box in the bumper ends and add weld through clevis points.

0A323E5F-3A15-4498-9775-0C87034AF61B.jpeg

2AEFC822-F4C7-4702-8CEB-F0AB6D471D4E.jpeg

2E4530A1-69E3-4441-AD69-0AAD0716F60B.jpeg

Last edited:
This one is carried over from the fishing thread.
Cleaned up nicely. Will dig into carb tomorrow and grab some fresh gas and cross fingers. At worst case I saw a tune up kit with carb, bulb, plug, air filter for $60 online.

E3E196E9-2666-4C61-A6E0-FE529A0BE9A0.jpeg

A0AFFA1B-2990-4FE3-8755-8A300B4F6CD2.jpeg
1B0695EC-B8CB-44E0-A3D7-AC89BBD0730A.jpeg
8ED92127-F882-4D58-834D-7005DB07FE96.jpeg
2BD2B4C3-EB92-4273-AAE6-E6E3065F7B58.jpeg

This one is carried over from the fishing thread.
Cleaned up nicely. Will dig into carb tomorrow and grab some fresh gas and cross fingers. At worst case I saw a tune up kit with carb, bulb, plug, air filter for $60 online.

Thats nuts! Is the motor free Or locked up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom