ring cleaning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gents.
i'd like to try and clean the rings in my rig (97 LX 450 225K).
i have notes from a member here that clued me in to this that i need to find in my inbox but is there a good link or bullet list on how to do this?
i gather i pull all the spark plugs, pour some amount of something or other into the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight? then use a compressor and blow it all out somehow? then button it back up and take it out for a good ride?
any help appreciated!

gents.
i'd like to try and clean the rings in my rig (97 LX 450 225K).
i have notes from a member here that clued me in to this that i need to find in my inbox but is there a good link or bullet list on how to do this?
i gather i pull all the spark plugs, pour some amount of something or other into the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight? then use a compressor and blow it all out somehow? then button it back up and take it out for a good ride?
any help appreciated!

I'd take a few steps back and ask "why"? Do you have low compression, excessive blowby, lack or power or something else that you are looking to remedy?

I've heard of trying to get piston rings from an old unused engine unstuck using various methods (such as pulling the plugs and adding oil, solvents, etc...) but not so much on a working engine.

Change the oil and filter more frequently, safest way to clean things up.
Make sure your PCV valve is working, not plugged up, that can lead to sludge formation inside the engine. I found the original PCV valve plugged up and not working on a 97 FZJ80 I picked up a couple of years ago.

FWIW, I've used Rislone Engine Treatment in the past; it's designed to gently clean up any varnish in the engine. Ran it a few hundred miles then drain, new filter and oil, no problems.

Last edited:
Drive it for 10 hours straight to get it good and heated up for an extended time. This helps burn out the gunk.

Some guys run Rotella diesel oil for this reason also. I personally would not, but many do.

and for goodness sake DON'T dump a bunch of Seafoam in the damn thing. In the tank, oil or into the intake.

OK... Why?
Are you blowing blue smoke under acceleration? Poor compression that gets higher with a squirt of oil in bore?

I've never used this, but I use plenty of other CRC products that work as advertised

Drive it for 10 hours straight to get it good and heated up for an extended time. This helps burn out the gunk.

Some guys run Rotella diesel oil for this reason also. I personally would not, but many do.

and for goodness sake DON'T dump a bunch of Seafoam in the damn thing. In the tank, oil or into the intake.

Whats wrong with Seafoam?

Whats wrong with Seafoam?
It dilutes your oil and reduces viscosity while you run it.
It can release junk in your fuel system and clog your filters.
It does no good for your catalytic converters.

It is snake oil.

There are no major trucking companies or fleet companies that run Seafoam in their vehicles.

Run quality fuel, oil, and drive it regularly and get it to full hot (operating temperatures for engine, transmission, axles) once a week to keep all the bad stuff away.

If you have ever done Seafoam treatments or read about people that have done them, typically it creates more problems than it eliminates, but people still believe in it like their butt-dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom