Builds Wompom's Painfully Slow Rebuild Now Part II! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just realized you were asking about the piston SKIRTS not rings. was doing too much at once when i replied to you.
I reused the original pistons.
I went back in the thread and saw that your OEM pistons are shiny aluminum, mine are OEM as well but looks like they have the sprayed coating on them. Just weird that toyota sprayed their piston skirts in 1994.

Installed some arb sliding top drawers.
Had a hell of a time getting the mount points to work then realized I had the drawers a few inches too far forward. Plastic trim sits right on the metal carpet termination strip .
20200128_182246.jpg

20200129_152410.jpg

20200129_152425.jpg

20200129_152435.jpg

20200128_182246.jpg

Killing some time at home today and did the auto up mod and cleaned my window switch contacts.
Spring flung out of the window lock button, but wasn't too bad once i figured out where it went.
Nice to have auto up for sure. Cleaning window contacts made a big difference in speed.
DSCN0864.JPG
DSCN0866.JPG

DSCN0867.JPG

Also got the rear suspension 90% done. Rear lower bolts look like they were overtorqued and flattened the threads. waiting on a tap and new bolts and answer from ARB on the washer order(seems funky).
Also got 79 series rear bump stops. $40 and two days from australia isn't bad. Look like they'll be a good height for 2.5" lift and 35s.
I was missing one stop that fell off the stock metal mount anyway so went this route vs blocks.
DSCN0870.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG

and once i finish all the suspension i'll finally start the turbo!

Killing some time at home today and did the auto up mod and cleaned my window switch contacts.
Spring flung out of the window lock button, but wasn't too bad once i figured out where it went.
Nice to have auto up for sure. Cleaning window contacts made a big difference in speed.
View attachment 2251188View attachment 2251187
View attachment 2251189

Also got the rear suspension 90% done. Rear lower bolts look like they were overtorqued and flattened the threads. waiting on a tap and new bolts and answer from ARB on the washer order(seems funky).
Also got 79 series rear bump stops. $40 and two days from australia isn't bad. Look like they'll be a good height for 2.5" lift and 35s.
I was missing one stop that fell off the stock metal mount anyway so went this route vs blocks.
View attachment 2251192
View attachment 2251193

and once i finish all the suspension i'll finally start the turbo!
What's the part # for 79 series bump stops?

79 series vs stock 80 series bump stops. about an inch longer. These were just off ebay, link above.
DSCN0872.JPG

This is about how much total you have to elongate the holes.
i took maybe 1/8" out of each hole to line it up with the 80 frame holes.

DSCN0873.JPG

Passenger side buttoned up
DSCN0875.JPG

Driver side buttoned up.

DSCN0876.JPG

Crazy how tight the reservoir fit is between the shock body/LSPV/sway brackets.
Lspv nuts broke free but the body was stuck to the bracket. soaking in PB, hopefully will break free for adjustment.
DSCN0878.JPG

How its sitting now:
DSCN0880.JPG

Need to decide on tires (around 35s). Leaning towards S/T maxx. Pulled the sliders off since they're in the way of the turbo install.
So far super impressed with the suspension from the first few drives around the neighborhood. Bit more body roll than i was expecting but you can feel the ramp up in suspension when you load a corner (in a good way).

How its sitting now:
View attachment 2253241

Need to decide on tires (around 35s). Leaning towards S/T maxx. Pulled the sliders off since they're in the way of the turbo install.
So far super impressed with the suspension from the first few drives around the neighborhood. Bit more body roll than i was expecting but you can feel the ramp up in suspension when you load a corner (in a good way).
Look into good year Duratrac. That's what I have, very impressed by them. Running 33"

Look into good year Duratrac. That's what I have, very impressed by them. Running 33"

Looked into them quite a bit. Supposedly they're changing them now too.
I'm likely going to be doing some trips into Utah/southern areas that have sharper rocks as well so not sure i like the weaker sidewalls of the duratracks, though their snow ability would be nice in the PNW.
I had narrowed it down to Cooper S/T Maxx and Nitto Ridge Grapplers but leaning towards coopers.

Real time help needed please
What os the torque spec for the turbo to the t4 flange - thnx. Its the last thing

How its sitting now:
View attachment 2253241

Hey Wompom, do you have an updated opinion on the BP 51s? I gotta set that I'm installing this weekend. What setting did you end up running and how long did the install take you?

I'm not too far away from you actually.... up near Bothell. Hope to see your rig sometime

Hey Wompom, do you have an updated opinion on the BP 51s? I gotta set that I'm installing this weekend. What setting did you end up running and how long did the install take you?

I'm not too far away from you actually.... up near Bothell. Hope to see your rig sometime
Liking them. Haven't messed with the settings enough and the front is way too high on the rebound setting right now which is.. fun. But overall great suspension so far. Has done great hauling ass on forest roads and articulates well.
I'm in north Seattle. Happy to meet up sometime if you want to check it out.

Definitely would like to see your set up some day. I'm looking forward to better handling on forest roads. Did you get the extra long shocks or the regular size?

Definitely would like to see your set up some day. I'm looking forward to better handling on forest roads. Did you get the extra long shocks or the regular size?
I went regular with heavies up front, meds in rear.
I went back and forth a few times on it. Decided I didn't want to go as big as J springs.
Can't run the longer length with the non J spring series since you'll sit in the wrong area for the dual bypass function to work properly.
I've heard a lot of people say these aren't good for whatever reason, but i'm also 99% of them have never ridden in a truck with them.
I've been blasting around forest roads in the PNW, some mild wheeling and doing highway miles and they've been great. If i were trying to crawl and do less expo type stuff i would have gone with a slinky setup or maybe the new dobinsons MRR stuff. So far impressed with the build quality and performance of the BP-51's though.

Also forgot you asked how long the install took. I did it in parts, but a couple hours for front/couple for rear. Was pretty painless, assuming you're chassis isn't rusty and bolts come out easily. First time i've done suspension on an 80 and was pretty painless. The instructions kinda suck for how to mount the resevoirs, but make sense if you look at the photos. Happy to snap some pics if it'd help when you get to that point.

Haven't updated here in a bit.
Few weeks ago went ahead and changed the blue hub stock clutch fluid to 20k.
Drained overnight and filled with a full 50ml of 20k CST.
Average temps came down significantly on long climbs in boost with A/C. Was seeing 203-207, now holding under 200. Avg driving temp is 187-193.
20200820_185009.jpg

20200820_185525.jpg

orange goo that came out of the clutch.
20200821_170722.jpg

20200820_185009.jpg

20200820_185525.jpg

Also started my front axle and break overhaul.
Forgot how fun and messy this job was. Much worse not having a garage to do it inside.
Combined with the high winds spraying leaves and sand into the grease it was a real party.

Hmm where'd my grease suddenly go...
20200905_142021.jpg

20200905_132151.jpg

Found it....

20200905_124815.jpg

Gonna have to do a few fills and flushes.
Breather was clear. Inner seals in tact. Not sure why it sucked the grease in.
Going to replace breather lines and extend anyway.

Also getting 4 new OEM calipers, all 7 new soft lines, 100 series EBC green stuff pads, new LSPV and a good brake flush. Buttoned up with new hub studs & hardware, stoptech slotted rotors.
20200907_182419.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom