Builds ‘76 FJ40 “The Plow” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, maybe it is some aftermarket cruise control. Interesting.

In the 70's, when factory cruise control was an option on some expensive cars, you could buy a universal kit to retrofit almost any vehicle. They included magnets you would glue or otherwise affix to your drive shaft, a sensor to count them for a speed sensor, and a primitive feedback loop. Very crude, and they sort of worked. Any 40 owner who has driven one on a long day's trip can appreciate the luxury of not having to keep your foot on the throttle all day - the way it used to be for every vehicle all the time.

That's the best part of getting a new/used 40 is the exploring and snooping around it and learning all about the history of it. Nice Score !! ☕
JP

Heat- torch to cherry red and stuff comes apart like its from so cal.🙂

Rust can't hold things on when it's a liquid.

Pro tip right there.

Now I’d like to get these unstuck without taking heat to them so I’m not jacking up the paint. I’ve been spraying them, but not sure how much penetration I’m getting.
704FD3CE-FF9B-4D5D-9C92-3B31EEB4B52B.jpeg

I used a propane torch on mine till the oil smoked and sprayed it a bunch again with pb blaster. Not perfect, but helped a ton.

I used a propane torch on mine till the oil smoked and sprayed it a bunch again with pb blaster. Not perfect, but helped a ton.
Cool. Been spraying with PB as well. Guess I’ll try the torch tomorrow. Gonna be that way all though probably. Oh well.

Think I got a plan...try tomorrow!

It’s the little things in life that make me happy.
1F70AB25-958F-4464-A0CA-5299131B80F2.jpeg

Best source for wheel lug nuts? Really any new hardware for that matter? Toyota has them, but they are silver and I thought they were suppose to be bronze?
CC30BB0E-D8D7-400D-980B-A56BC99422E2.jpeg

The splits off my old Troopy fit perfectly!! My little angel helped me. 🥰
C7002869-AE9A-4EA8-88B9-85A52839FAF7.jpeg
7CEDB3DD-1571-4BD9-938E-2246A26BC305.jpeg
C69A620D-4C3A-4F8D-B0B3-85BDC47A04E3.jpeg
8CF1C421-DBF0-4FFC-833D-C4FE57F40AFF.jpeg

I would completely remove the hinges, soak them in WD-40/mineral spirits/kerosene, then work them until they free, and then reinstall. The paint should survive this, and no torch needed. More work for you, but less chance of damage. You can put the hinges in your bench vise (with jaw protection - plywood slabs) and go wild on making the hinge swing freely.

I ordered some acorn nuts from Cruiser Corp. plan is to clean the threads and surrounding area. Lay down some paint and remount the wheels. Baby steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom