Lower tailgate contacting rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New owner of a beautiful LX470. The lower tailgate appears to be rubbing against bumper. Any thoughts on how to fix? Nothing obviously wrong with tailgate besides this rubbing of the paint. Is lower tailgate somehow adjustable? Side straps seem just fine. Searched the forums but only related thread was for an 80 series... Thank You.

360D688C-B576-413F-8FC4-6F2E7C72C91B.jpeg

520D98A1-F263-474E-ACB6-606B6C1204E3.jpeg

Never seen that before. You sure it’s not an old scuff from something hitting it in that spot? I don’t even see what on the bumper would make 3 distinct claw marks like that.

Yeah, I’m at a loss. I ordered new cables that hold the lower tailgate up— maybe the old ones stretched over time?

There are the three claw marks but also the rubbing against the small cap on the bumper above hitch... see scratches below claw marks and on top of cap on bumper.

If you had recently been camping by a lake after a noted murderer escaped from a nearby prison, say around Halloween, and he had one artificial hook hand, and you drove off in a hurry after hearing of his escape, I might have a suggestion. Otherwise, is a bit of a mystery! o_O

I suspect a PO maybe inadvertently opened the tailgate with something resting on the bumper, like a tool or something.

I had that. It was the front fasteners of the bumper that had come loose, at the wheel well, making the bumper tip down at the front and up at the back. Possibly the rear had been bent up as well.
I took off the bumper skin and fixed all the fastening points, front and rear, and got the bumper adjusted like this:
IMG_3927-s.jpg

the cables won't affect this issue, it would be at the pivots.
what are the 3 marks a few inches above the rub?
that little cover plate just clips into the cover, it accesses the spare tire winch.

Those 3 marks don’t seem to coincide with anything that’s on the bumper. I would also guess that PO has something on the bumper and lowered the tailgate and did that damage. When you lower it, you should peek under it and see if it’s touching it .

The mark was most likely made by the accidental opening of the lower hatch and hit the rod that lowers the spare tire.

I suspect a PO maybe inadvertently opened the tailgate with something resting on the bumper, like a tool or something.

Or, if you're like me, you left a tool or keys on the tailgate, dropped the tailgate and then got a couple dents in the tailgate. Later fixed by PDR guy.

The mark was most likely made by the accidental opening of the lower hatch and hit the rod that lowers the spare tire.

That explains the three marks... right after buying truck I dropped it off for a OME conversion, new axles/CV boots, new tires... They replaced the spare so that must have been the cause. Bummer; the guys otherwise did excellent work

THe rubbing below that is still a mystery... I mean, I know it’s rubbing the cap below, but don’t know why. I’ll follow advice from other post to check bumper attachments to make sure it’s all screwed in. With a piece of paper placed on top of bumper when I open tailgate, the cap area is only section that is rubbing.

I had that. It was the front fasteners of the bumper that had come loose, at the wheel well, making the bumper tip down at the front and up at the back. Possibly the rear had been bent up as well.
I took off the bumper skin and fixed all the fastening points, front and rear, and got the bumper adjusted like this:
View attachment 2245658

This is helpful. Not sure how to take ”bumper skin” off (I assume that means entire bumper exterior (painted silver bumper in your photo). Will take a look tomorrow if it stops raining (she is parked outside)... Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom