1984 FJ60 Doesn’t Crank at All (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the carburetor gaskets on my FJ60 today and afterwards I went to start the truck and this is happening.

Underneath the dash the previous owner had some wires running to a push button switch and then to some kind of plug at the base of the steering column. I have them a slight tug and they just fell out. I have no idea what they are supposed to do. The battery is new and has plenty of charge.

Is there some kind of starter switch or solenoid I can check?

I'm not sure what those wires are under the dash.....and when you turned the key I didn't hear a loud click. So it seems that your starter solenoid is not energizing. when you did the engine work did you unplug anything in the way? did you have your battery disconnected? I'd start by making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Next I'd pull apart the fusibile links at the battery and make sure they are clean and not falling apart. I'd also look at the fuses make sure nothing is popped there. You could put the truck in neutral and parking brake on and jump power to the back of the starter solenoid and see if it turns. If it does turn then its a problem between the key and starter....meaning with the starter wire circuit.

Your mention of the push button does make me wonder if the PO had put in a momentary starter switch to override your current problem.

Back of your starter looks something like this:

1584477753220.png

the heavy battery cable goes straight to the big terminal in the left of the photo. The small connector to the right is the one where the circuit activated by the key and ignition switch goes to. When you turn the key to complete the circuit to the small terminal and that activates the solenoid. The solenoid fires and in turn activates closing the big wire path to ground through the starter motor. So if you put the truck in neutral and set the parking brake you can jump 12v straight to that little terminal and if all is wheel the engine should crank. If it cranks you have now ruled out the starter and power to starter and now you can investigate the wires in the ignition circuit.

View attachment 2241594

the heavy battery cable goes straight to the big terminal in the left of the photo. The small connector to the right is the one where the circuit activated by the key and ignition switch goes to. When you turn the key to complete the circuit to the small terminal and that activates the solenoid. The solenoid fires and in turn activates closing the big wire path to ground through the starter motor. So if you put the truck in neutral and set the parking brake you can jump 12v straight to that little terminal and if all is wheel the engine should crank. If it cranks you have now ruled out the starter and power to starter and now you can investigate the wires in the ignition circuit.

Thanks for the help! I’ll try this and see what happens. I should have some help in the morning to try jumping the starter.
I checked the fuses in the dash but not the disable links. My battery terminals are new, tight, and clean.
I’m worried that with these wires pulled out I won’t be able to diagnose this thing properly. I’m hoping they weren’t some work around to get the thing to start although I’ve never once used the button to start it.

I just pulled and checked my fusible links. One of them looks like it melted at one point. Any idea how to test these or is there something I should be looking for?

99CD6707-7A83-46FE-B35B-52A15D744592.jpeg

27269E30-2B53-4178-940F-9B66A9F06480.jpeg

1FED897D-5369-4A00-A4BF-4E54EB09852A.jpeg

Ugly link. For now just make sure the wires connect when the link is together.

Just a thought. The Wires and switch you mention smell like a kill switch. Take a peek under the dash in them at area and see if you can locate a severed wire.

even better is to ask the PO if you have their contact info.

You show us pix of the connector ends, but where are the Fusible links ?

Test for continuity, but it look like a mess, so ....

@Niferous Just want to make sure... can’t tell in the pictures what terminal is what... Judging from where the core support is in relation to the terminals, just want to make sure the fusible link isn’t hooked to the ground. With it being an Optima there is a strong chance it’s terminals are opposite a standard Group 27. I highly doubt you’ve mixed them up. Just want to be sure.

I’d trace where those wires go. Maybe they interrupt the ignition circuit.

Let us know what you find.

Just a thought. The Wires and switch you mention smell like a kill switch. Take a peek under the dash in them at area and see if you can locate a severed wire.

I’d ask the previous owner but I don’t have his contact info anymore. It’s been a few years since I’ve bought the truck. I never had to really mess with the switch and for the most part I forgot it was even there.

I’ll trace the wire and see if I can find what he had it wired to.

The switch I was referring to is right here. It seems like a factory hole. It goes to the black box pictured here. The push button switch goes through the hole on the right.

13A0101E-ED08-4078-97FD-352667EE269F.jpeg

View attachment 2241594

So I finally stopped fixating on the wires under my dash and tried this. I used my 12 volt, 200 amp jump starter and attached the clamps like you stated. When I hit the switch nothing happened. I’m guessing this means that the most likely answer was the correct one and I have a bad starter.

Tap the starter with your Chrysler fix-it tool. If it works you can rebuild (if original and you want it to stay that way) or replace with aftermarket.

So I finally stopped fixating on the wires under my dash and tried this. I used my 12 volt, 200 amp jump starter and attached the clamps like you stated. When I hit the switch nothing happened. I’m guessing this means that the most likely answer was the correct one and I have a bad starter.

if you jumped 12 bolts directly to the starter solenoid it should hava cranked the engine or at least clicked. Did you have the jump starter grounded to the truck battery or frame? Or do you mean you hit the switch on the battery pack?

This was my thought too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom