Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there another fuel pump that can be used other than the supplied one?
I've read a different pump can be used that pumps faster.

I used a faster pump.
But requiredsome voltage/draw tricks.
I ask only because the pump I have makes a lot of noise. It rattles terribly.

A side benefit of my faster pump is that it is also quieter.

Here is what I use with mine:

I have the first tank @Eric Sarjeant installed in an LC. He has a faster pump upgrade that he is doing now. I dropped my LC off Saturday to have some things done and one of them is do the upgrade to the faster pump. I don't think it is completely necessary, but I figured I would go ahead and have it done while I was having some other thing done.

I used a faster pump. But required some voltage/draw tricks.

Which relay did you use and where did you put the relay?

I was thinking of getting a faster pump because in a couple situations the LC was burning more than it was pumping.

Which relay did you use and where did you put the relay?

I was thinking of getting a faster pump because in a couple situations the LC was burning more than it was pumping.

We install the relay under the steering wheel. Easily accessible and dry area.

I ask only because the pump I have makes a lot of noise. It rattles terribly.

Let Ward know and he'll send you a new one.

Stupid question to those that have this tank... are you guys afraid in a rear end crash? Has these tanks been crash tested? Since these tanks are placed behind the rear axle and in front of the rear bumper, it is kinda dangerous, no??

Stupid question to those that have this tank... are you guys afraid in a rear end crash? Has these tanks been crash tested? Since these tanks are placed behind the rear axle and in front of the rear bumper, it is kinda dangerous, no??

good question. A long time ago I was rear ended by a Honda while in my lifted FJ60. My rear bumper ended up on the Honda’s hood as the car wedged itself under my truck. It was a relatively low speed accident and my FJ suffered no serious damage. The Honda was a mess. If the Honda had hit me at a higher speed I think it’s bumper could have hit my rear differential.

From pictures I’ve seen of the 40 gal LRA, it would get hit in a similar accident. A lift and some after market rear bumpers would make this worse.

I still want one of these tanks but I am leaning toward the 15 or 24 partially due to this potential issue. Thanks for the post as I was having the same thought.

good question. A long time ago I was rear ended by a Honda while in my lifted FJ60. My rear bumper ended up on the Honda’s hood as the car wedged itself under my truck. It was a relatively low speed accident and my FJ suffered no serious damage. The Honda was a mess. If the Honda had hit me at a higher speed I think it’s bumper could have hit my rear differential.

From pictures I’ve seen of the 40 gal LRA, it would get hit in a similar accident. A lift and some after market rear bumpers would make this worse.

I still want one of these tanks but I am leaning toward the 15 or 24 partially due to this potential issue. Thanks for the post as I was having the same thought.

My LC barely gets 300 miles per tank...so, these things are great to have...and am thinking of getting one. As i wrote in other thread, besides the G-wagen (previous gen), I cannot think of one vehicle where the gas tank is right behind the rear bumper. I think most (if not all) have moved it to inside the rear axle (in front of) due to crash concern.

Has these long range tanks connectors / hoses etc been crash tested to not spray fuel everywhere?

My LC barely gets 300 miles per tank...so, these things are great to have...and am thinking of getting one. As i wrote in other thread, besides the G-wagen (previous gen), I cannot think of one vehicle where the gas tank is right behind the rear bumper. I think most (if not all) have moved it to inside the rear axle (in front of) due to crash concern.

Has these long range tanks connectors / hoses etc been crash tested to not spray fuel everywhere?

@wardharris should be able to chime in on this as he distributes them.

I have the 24 gallon and it sits higher than the spare tire would. While that doesn't answer your question directly, it wasn't and isn't a huge concern to me at this point.

Well everything is finally fixed with my gauge. The issue was a defective sender.

The gauge works perfectly and I pumped gas for 15 minutes with no issues.

Resized952020031495161052~01.jpg

Now that everything is working correctly I can't even hear the pump.

Ya, I can only hear my pump if I get out and walk over to the rear passenger corner. Super quiet.

Now that everything is working correctly I can't even hear the pump.
The pump is very quiet when it is full of fuel. Glad you got it sorted.

The pump is very quiet when it is full of fuel. Glad you got it sorted.
Rob, any feedback you can share with me one the new pump?

Rob, any feedback you can share with me one the new pump?
Just transferred the first tank today with the new pump. I think it is about twice as fast as the other pump (took about 10 to 12 min rather than 20 min). The new pump, in my opinion, is a little louder than the old pump while it is pumping fuel. I had to turn the radio off and only really noticed it when I was stopped at a light but I think it is a little louder. It is almost silent once the tank is empty. The decrease in time to transfer fuel by far makes up for any slight increase in noise. I will keep you updated as I use it a few more times.

Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but is there an option to run the fuel transfer button through a SwitchPro 9100? I'm about to enter the next round of upgrades on my LC and was curious about this small detail. Thanks!

Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but is there an option to run the fuel transfer button through a SwitchPro 9100? I'm about to enter the next round of upgrades on my LC and was curious about this small detail. Thanks!
For some reason I did not. I don’t recall why.
I have an sPod. It won’t show if fuel is in the tank. Probably why I used the switch provided with the tank manufacture. 9100 show fuel level?

Last edited:
I think it should be possible, but you would not have the tank level on the switch pro.

You absolutely can and should. You will lose the fuel level. But worth it for the clean install

You absolutely can and should. You will lose the fuel level. But worth it for the clean install
Thanks! I wouldn’t mind missing the fuel level - I’m going with the 12.5 gallon and transfers will be quick and easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom