Sleeping platform 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Base pvc
Platform carpeted plywood. Folds for easy removal and cleaning. What do you think?

992A35D7-469A-4900-8286-C1DD1AD4A472.jpeg

867404FC-B360-4D89-A352-929A29A81DD6.jpeg

2DD142DD-D406-4219-8B55-D5B572925424.jpeg

AD24E0C5-1B52-4229-9AEB-47EA31027E15.jpeg

You win the smartest platform of the year award!

Imma gonna steal that idea!

Is pipe glued together or loose ?

Plywood screwed to pipe or ?

You win the smartest platform of the year award!

Imma gonna steal that idea!

Is pipe glued together or loose ?

Plywood screwed to pipe or ?
Pipes for the trunk section are glued. The second row section I haven’t decided yet. For storage reasons I don’t want to glue them. The platform just sits on the frame.

Pipes for the trunk section are glued. The second row section I haven’t decided yet. For storage reasons I don’t want to glue them. The platform just sits on the frame.
Also thanks :) glad you like it. For the drawer in the right I’m going to drill out a cam or management system and store a power cell there that can hook up to a solar.

only thing different I would do is to lower it so the boards are just over the wheel wells. After you put a mattress on it you want as much head room as you can get. Here's a pic of mine for reference.

1583500822747.png

You've created a ingenuitive and light weight platform.

It is important to properly secure cargo. This includes the platform itself. Ancoring the bottom pipes will not be suffiencient structurally. Tie multiple anchors (4 per panel, 16) to the plywood. It will be stronger than the plastic pipe.

only thing different I would do is to lower it so the boards are just over the wheel wells. After you put a mattress on it you want as much head room as you can get. Here's a pic of mine for reference.

View attachment 2230544
Hi,
Thanks for the photo. Those are great looking drawers. A few questions for you. How tall are you? Does the front section fold up allowing you to use the second row? The mattress I’m making is out of 2.5in high density foam to shave off a few inches. I chose that height specifically for the storage section based off the cargo I want to store under it. Hmm

You've created a ingenuitive and light weight platform.

It is important to properly secure cargo. This includes the platform itself. Ancoring the bottom pipes will not be suffiencient structurally. Tie multiple anchors (4 per panel, 16) to the plywood. It will be stronger than the plastic pipe.

What kind of anchors do you suggest?

I love it because it is different!!
The only thing I would consider is to place the uprights under where each persons weight would be - assuming 2 people are sleeping in it!!

We’ll find out how go it is in a two weeks. Some and the girl friend will sleep on the left side. Hopefully it works out!

you might get away with that idea using sch 40 aluminum pipe (speed-rail) and Hollarnder fittings. But flimsy flexy creaky PVC? Nope

In the slightly more expensive and much stronger category is 80-20 strut. Its aluminum so its east to cut with a chop saw and its bolted together into whatever configuration you desire using T nuts. Might be something to consider if your PVC system isn't quite rigid enough.

We’ll find out. PVC is pretty strong

PVC is very strong when force is applied perpendicular to its cross section but its not strong when force is applied perpendicular to its length. Your lateral PVC pieces are not offering any strength to the design and only serve to hold the uprights in position. Alll of your horizontal strength is coming out of the plywood. If you were to add lateral pipes to the bottom of your current design I think you will have much better results. Without any lateral supports to keep those legs in place you run a very real risk of having them try to slip sideways and there might be enough leverage for them to collapse by damaging the top joint.

Either way...its a great way to prototype the idea and hopefuly it works great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom